passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

StarFox Zero

Manicm

This is early days as I've only one the first level, but the controls, god the controls!! it might be my age but I can't focus on the small wii u controller screen and the big tele. When I thought I had mastered it I looked up at the tele and I was flying into a mountain but my targeting was still showing the first boss. I lost slippy on the first run, but that's the norm anyway. The actual flight controls are great and remind me of the N64 use the right stick to loop the loop and slow down speed up.

Graphically, now I could of been spoilt with the ps4 xb1 etc...but Mario kart looked great on the wii u and quite a few other in house games, but this doesn't seem polished enough, the great fox when you first see it in space looks no different to the N64 game.

I'm hoping once I get past the controller issues, this will be a great game. I should add my wii u controller was soaked in my sweaty hands after the first level I've never had that with a game before!

Betting first comment below will be I disagree its awesome.......

nah i racon that's photoshopped, Nag isn't wearing his mario hat.

similar to Manicm, i've only played the first level, and struggling with the controls a bit. it's a great idea being able to dodge with the stick but still aim in the opposite direction (a similar thing works really well with the wii remote in sin and punishment 2) but it's a bit confusing, i recon i'll get used to that though, on the fixed path parts anyway. i've never got on well with the free flight modes in previous games and it's the same here with added controls confusion. you can see where you're flying on the main screen (most of the time anyway) but aim in other directions on the pad screen, but i can only see one screen at a time, my setup really doesn't help here, so it's quite east to hit stuff by accident, but at the same time it's great to be able to shoot stuff to your top/bottom/side that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to. so i don't know, early days, and i still enjoyed the first mission despite problems, hopefully i'll get used to the controls and it'll be awesome.

i don't like to be told for the millionth time to use the motion controls because they're more accurate, especially as i was using the motion controls quite a lot.

also the voices seem to only come out of the controller...but i wear headphones and can't find an option to change it so that's a bit stupid. or i'm being silly and missed the options - i can't find an options screen at all?

I've been hooting all he way through this so far and I only have two more levels to do.  There was a dip in the enjoyment where they decided to put some slower paced kinda stealth mission in that didn't work that well but other than that it was been great arcade style action.  And it does feel particularly arcade-y, more so than the previous games.  I think it's because it's maybe a little harder, and I'd also say because of the controls it feels like it is a game that belongs in an amusement arcade.  It has the feel of something you step or sit into and play using some ridiculous mechanism, and this is a really faithful console port of that.  A game like this would usually be stuck there, only played by a few but the got it working on a home console and it feels pretty unique because of that.

You can play the older games, and you could play other shooters that use the gyroscope but there is still nothing out there like this.  And that is cool.

The more traditional levels are fun and being able to shoot to the side and below you makes getting missed enemies more possible.  The space all range levels are structured like Colony Wars levels in a way so that was a neat surprise as well.  I've just been pleasantly surprised on every turn.

I think it looks great as well.  Bold colours and silky smooth.  It's hard to go wrong with that.  They nailed it as far as I'm concerned.  Best Star Fox yet.

i've done some more levels now, probably over half way, i'm still finding it a bit hit and miss, generally enjoying it, but occasionally getting frustrated. there's a level where you have to dogfight with some bad dudes, i was trying to use the pad screen for better aiming and using lock-on view so i could see where the enemies were on the tv but just kept dying, had to start the mission from the start again because i ran out of lives, next time i just looked at the tv screen (and used charged lock-on shots so i didn't have to aim) and did it first time, only just mind, but the problem was with the pad screen and lockon i didn't understand where i was being hit from, turns out it was mainly from being tailed, so as long as you loop then you don't get hit much so i'd probably be able to go back to that bit and do better using the controls like i was trying to first time if that makes any sense. sometimes stuff you can see fine on the tv is nearly invisible on the pad screen - mainly a problem in the darkness of space. i hope i stick at it enough to have a few more play throughs as i recon it'll be a lot better when more used to the controls/quirks and how it all works.

still it's certainly action packed and there's never a chance to get bored - like DC says it does seem like an arcade game.

oh man the last boss :fist: well i assume it's the last boss, had a load of lives going into it so spent maybe half an hour retrying it, it's not a bad fight, but some bits can be pretty annoying and make it easy to lose loads of health for just messing one thing up. and getting health back is pretty annoying with the views and difficult positioning of the rings. i failed in the end. need a rest/calm down before trying again.

finished that last level just now, was only my second go at it (well each time i had 4 or 5 lives on the boss), just took a while to build up the courage for another try.

i like it. but i think i've come to the conclusion that although i really like on-rails shooters like rez/child of eden/panzer dragoon orta/half of the new kid icarus, and even crimson dragon - star fox does things a bit differently and i just don't like it as much as those other games. i think it's the aiming, not 100% sure.

On 4/22/2016 at 8:08 AM, mr lakitu said:

I can't speak for this game but certainly others @spatular If you turn the gamepad volume all the way off it'll push its sounds through the tv. 

oh yeah i forgot to say this doesn't work, it's not been much of a problem mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing the arcade mode in this a bit.

What you do in this is go through the game as normal except you can't die, or you have to start again.  Well, there is a safety net.  You can carry three gold rings and as long as you have three rings you can restart from the beginning of the level but they are used up.

I got to the level where you have to take out three giant missiles before they reach a wormhole exiting at Cornea.  It's an okay mission, not too difficult but I was too distracted by stragglers and didn't quite do the level in time.  On my second attempt I was an idiot.  The missiles have three stages to them, I beat two of the stages and for some reason thought it had blown up and went to do something else while it shot to the wormhole.  I was pissed off at myself.

So I started again (that was from a save state I started a while back (yes, you can have save states that wipe when you start them)) and got to the mission that is you navigating your way through a load of space debris at top speed.  It's really hard but only because it is trial and error avoiding everything.  I think I might have to practise this level in the level select mode and come back to arcade mode after it's mastered.  I think I could do the rest of the game no problem as long as I don't be an idiot again.

I might try and get the hidden medals while I pracise some levels as well, I haven't actually got a lot of them so far.  Just 10 out of 70 I think.