passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dark Souls III

DisturbedSwan

I've gotta take a break from this for a while. 30 hours is a decent start anyway! I walked through the path that opened up in the swamp, and that led to another bonfire called the Farron Keep Perimeter or something. But I feel like diversifying and playing other games for a while.

Maybe I was just tired yesterday, after staying awake for about 48 hours for my exam on Friday, and then working on Saturday. I felt like playing today so I booted it up. First from the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire I killed the two knights in the clearing that attack as a pair. I opened the door and it was pretty obvious that it led to a boss so I used an ember and summoned a phantom. Won that fight and that led to a new area, The Catacombs of Carthus.

I warped back to Firelink Shrine to level up and see if that triggered anything. Used the boss soul to buy a Wolf Greatsword which has a cool special attack but other than that I don't like it, I'm sticking to the Hollowslayer Greatsword. The only person who had any new dialogue was Yuria who said something about marriage to a girl called Anri. The name sounds familiar but I don't think I've come across her.

I went back to explore the high beams in the Cathedral of the Deep which I had been meaning to do. There was an orange sign saying to drop down so I dropped down to the area where I had been fooled by the Onion knight earlier. And who was he only Patches from the Tomb of the Giants in the original Dark Souls! He sells the Onion Knight/Catarina armour set. I reactivated the bridge that leads to the door outside. also from here I discovered a new bonfire and Rosaria's Fingers covenant. I offered the Pale Tongues that I had in my inventory. Only problem is I realise now that by doing so I've ended another's character's quest line. I talked to Sirris in Firelink Shrine and she said "Oh I see you have joined the Rosaria's Fingers covenant, next time we meet it will be as adverseraries." Oh well...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, of surprise to no-one, the new DLC is very hard.

I'm pretty oblivious to the whole lore, locations and characters stuff. I've watched a couple of videos at different points to actually understand what everyone else seems to pick up on that I don't. This is (supposedly) the very final piece of Dark Souls we'll ever get, though I doubt that. Apparently it ties the 3 main games together and starts in locations from 3, then 2 and then ends on 1.

All I know is it's bastard hard.

I got to the first boss and many, many deaths and summoned people in to help. If anyone solos this boss then I tip my hat because it's not really a fair fight.

After many attempts and failing, I was about to turn it off for the night but the exit game option wouldn't work, presumably because I was in an online state. So I tried gathering a posse for one last attempt but that didn't work so I pulled in an NPC ally and dived in just really to die so I could exit the game.

Really surprised myself when I killed the boss and lit the next bonfire!

You can tell there's a fair amount playing it as summon signs last about a millisecond before someone grabs them. I put mine down to help others before I killed it, to get a better understanding of the fight, and they got used as soon as I put them down.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Sigh...

So I bought DS 3 (The only Souls game I haven't played at all) because it was on sale and following my enjoyment of Dark Souls Remastered and DeS remake. I was curious, after the Souls burnout inflicted following DS2. I'd looked into it and the game isn't as aesthetically dark as Bloodborne. Meaning the position of my TV is such I can actually see what I'm doing.

I buy it on January 4th. I begin the laborious download. Go do other things and twenty minutes later, the download says it is ready.

Today, feeling good. So I think why not? Create Zark IV - Forgetting the character creator is quite inferior to DeS remake. Not really appreciating that DS 3 is nearing six years old. First things first. I don't get the parry window of this game yet. I'm thinking I'm too late. But it irritates that From have made this mechanic so unintuitive, transferring from one game to the next. You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time? It has rarely been for the better, either... Glares at Dark Souls 2

Anyway, I kill Iudex Gundyr on the second try. The first attempt I was killed by the camera, during Phase Two of the fight. One hit away, which was annoying. I make it to Firelink. Along the way, hopping up the tree shortcut I remember seeing in a video long ago, to find the Crow/s. Nice you don't have to quit out of the game for exchanges anymore.

Right so Levelled up and all set to continue my adventure. I sit at the Bonfire to travel to Zone One....

A sudden info box reads: "Game installation incomplete. Cannot travel between bonfires." 

...:fist: 

So when it LIED and said the game was complete and ready to go. That meant : Opening cinematic to Firelink Shrine

I look into it further. The download wasn't even half finished. A PS4 game from 2016 taking 20 minutes to download was longer than I waited to install DeS remake and Returnal. Actual PS5 games. But, I was ok with it as I had things to preoccupy my time. The fact that it was "ready" and now I've had to resume the download, slowing my internet connection to everything else as the PS5 seems to take priority. Takes the piss, a bit.

Not a great start....

Rant Over: Take Two

Vordt is DEAD.

I must admit he looked more formidable in videos online than he was to fight. I'm a Warrior class with a +2 Hand axe. I simply two-handed it, added some old faithful Gold Pine Resin and he melted. First Try! Died so fast, the frost bite meter didn't even fill all the way. 

Overall, I see this took lessons from DS2. Ones I didn't like IE gank squads. I get the old Souls trick, run at the crossbow guy and another guy awaits in ambush behind you. But when you approach lone wandering guy. He emits a scream and the area immediately fills with hyper-aggressive enemies. That I'm not keen on. Especially as I'm not clicking with parrying yet. Also these enemies seems very slippery with backstabs in contrast to DS1.

First zone over, I'm on the fence so far with this game. Very "by the numbers" Souls game so far. Which is the dismissive impression I've heard from several big names in the Souls community.  

Curse-rotted Greatwood is DEAD

This one gave me some trouble. Mostly due to the second phase. I kept misjudging the reach of the cursed arm that pops out. Funny that as soon as I killed the boss, I didn't know where to go next?😄

After about 10 minutes of wandering about the Undead Settlement, I remembered Siegward's lift. I went up and didn't bother to go down, where he came from. Ran into Vordt's, faster and thinner younger brother. Then I reached a new zone. Dying immediately to the hyper-aggressive new enemies...

Then, I decided to detour. Using Vordt's soul, I acquired my current weapon - Vordt's Great Hammer.

I decided in this game, to go for a completely different build to my typical leanings of Sorcerer to Red Mage. I've gone for a strength build. This Great Hammer Mace, seems ideal. Two hand or one, I tend to kill everything in a couple swings. It is slow though. So I have to initiate combat. Also upgraded it to +1 already. As I killed a giant Crystal Lizard in the starting area. Off to a good start!