passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dark Souls III

DisturbedSwan

Tonight I explored the first main area, made the shortcut, and took down the boss before getting a gorgeous view. The boss took me a few attempts, I knew what I had to do, just fumbled the controls which I tend to do at the worst moments. Found an NPC which I need a key to unlock the gate. Now in a new area though, so might go back and explore a bit more if I should? Edit: I want that cell key and haven't seen the mimic chest yet. 

I've not summoned or been summoned yet, but I like the sound of 17000 souls to level up with. I'm level 17 I think. 

Also just beat the first boss. I took him on once for the hell of it because I was between two minds what to do. Almost killed him the first time but didn't quite manage it. Second time around I went (from the shortcut elevator down) back to the main courtyard and decided to use an ember. Right next to where I was standing a summon sign for an NPC phantom appeared. I summoned him and went around killing the knights in the courtyard area, including that tall guy with the red glowing eyes. Then I summoned another randomer and we went down and beat the boss. Already up to my old DS2 ways lol but to hell with it. That brings me to a whole new area.

I'm still in human form now. As far as weapons go, at the moment I'm using a Deep Battle Axe+1, which is still my strongest weapon. I also have a Lucerne+1 which is a halberd (the heavy and special attacks are spinning attacks which is pretty cool, might come in handy). I didn't realise that the weapon reinforcement requirements in DS3 were so high (it costs four titanite shards to make a +2 weapon) so I couldn't upgrade the Lothric Knight Sword enough to make it worthwhile. When I raise my strength to 16 (15 at the mo) I can use the Claymore, which is a greatsword. I don't see myself being a greatsword user but I'll give it a whirl to see what it's like. Other than that, like I said, I need to upgrade my general stats.

I don't think there's much left for me to do in the High Wall of Lothric although I know I haven't discovered everything. For now I'll probably continue in the new area. If I feel I need to level up I'll probably put my sign down near the first boss door.

Played another hour and a half earlier, now 15 hours, 30 minutes played in total, Level 43.

Started out by going back to the Undead Settlement to see if I now had enough health to survive a fall down in to a Chasm where I'd seen some items previously, just about survived the fall with a sliver of health remaining, fought a few enemies, found an NPC and some items then legged it back to the Road of Sacrifices bonfire and made my way back to Farron's Keep.

Went through the huge Stone door from the second bonfire and found a few of those incredibly annoying transforming harpy things which all teamed up and gang-raped me the first time, managed to kill them all the next time though, went up a hill after this and found two of those tough Hunter-like enemies which I managed to kill, saw an ominous looking door at the end and cleared up all the remaining enemies between me and the door, had a little explore and luckily found another Bonfire.

After this I decided to put my summon sign down and help someone else defeat the boss, I wanted to see what it was like and try and get a lie of the land for when I attempted it myself.

Unfortunately as soon as I got summoned into someone's game I got severe lag, all the enemies weren't reacting and the host was just sliding along the floor instead of running, eventually the enemies went back to normal, but as soon as we entered the boss door it glitched and the boss wouldn't attack so we were just absolutely wailing on him and pout him down in about a minute, it was laughably easy.

Got my Ember returned and a Sunlight medal for defeating the boss, decided as I was now kindled to summon someone into my game and give the boss a go, but as soon as they entered the game I got invaded, the lag returned and we managed to put down the invader with ease. Entered the boss door and luckily the boss was responsive this time, with two people it was still very easy though and we put him down in no time :D first Lord of Cinder defeated.

After this I lit the bonfire in the boss room and called it a day, more tomorrow.

If that's the chasm I'm thinking of, you did it the hard but cheap way. There's a door by the rats that leads there apparently and the key is bought from the female vendor near the blacksmith for a whopping 20,000 souls which I'm saving up for now as my health just isn't enough to get down there.

Exploring the Undead Settlement now, this is a great location! Is it just me or is the lighting in this game darker than it was in DS2? It brings back a little of the horror feel of the first Dark Souls. Maybe not horror, but you know what I mean right? 

I love the view you have if you walk to the edge of the road from the first bonfire (in the Undead Settlement). I met the NPC there and he's now in Firelink Shrine (along with the NPC I rescued from the jail cell), selling a stronger version of Soul Arrow. I need an intelligence of 13 so I'll work towards that next, also I want to increase my attunement to 2 slots. It occurred to me while I was playing that differences in the attack power of weapons are irrelevant unless it means than an enemy takes one extra strike to kill. All of my weapons at the moment take 1-2 hits to kill a standard enemy (I think it's two hits in the Undead Settlement) so I've been experimenting. I played with the Claymore for a while (a greatsword) and with Lucerne (a halberd). I really liked both. I played in a two-handed style, which is the style I spent most of the first two games playing, circling enemies and attacking them when they begin their attack motion or in the case of the halberd, when they come within range! I love the long range of the halberd. There's so many viable ways to play the game. I mean, I love playing with a shield too. Rather than fixate on any one weapon I think I'm just going to play with a variety of weapons.

The Undead Settlement seems to branch in two directions but I could be wrong because I haven't explored it fully. The first time I played it, in the large bonfire area with the spellcaster (memories of The Dukes Archives) I went right across the wooden bridge and eventually came to a stone bridge. In front of me I could see enemies on the roof waiting to ambush me. Someone had left a note saying to jump down, so I jumped to down a path below and that led to a room with a third bonfire in this area. I went back to the large bonfire area with the spellcaster and took the left route. Down here there were those weird caged corpses that come to life and another enemy with glowing red eyes. Spooky! There was also a locked door through which I could see a giant cauldron (a kitchen?) but I couldn't open it from this side. Continuing on this route led to a path with lots of enemies and another spellcaster attacker me from a bridge. I have no idea if the two routes I described link up or not or if they led to separate areas, I'll find out tomorrow!

I can tag my post with spoilers if you think I'm going into too much detail about the game, which I probably am...

Having played around ten hours of Dark Souls 3, It’s interesting to compare the beginnings of the three Dark Souls games, not just in terms of which is better but also, if DS2 or DS3 had been the first Dark Souls game, would it have had the same impact? 

I still think you can’t beat the opening levels of Dark Souls 1. I mean, in the Undead Burg, they threw everything at you - a Black Knight, the Taurus Demon, a fire-breathing dragon, Havel. And the Undead Parish was a great area too, the Bell Gargoyles were no pushover.

In fairness to Dark Souls 2, the Forest of Fallen Giants was probably one of the better areas in the game. It was definitely one of the larger areas. And that first encounter with the Pursuer was pretty cool. But Heide’s Tower of Flame wasn’t particularly interesting and like a lot of areas in DS2, you didn’t spend long there.

Dark Souls 3 has a good start I think. The High Wall of Lothric is a large area with lots of strong enemies, even a chest mimic, the game isn’t afraid to kill you from the get go. And the area I’m in now, the Undead Settlement, has been excellent. I haven’t encountered any enemies in this area that scare the shit out of me yet but I’m sure there are.

All in all, I still think the start of the first game is the most iconic, and the hardest hitting.

Played another 2 and a half hours earlier, 18 hours total, now Level 50.

Started out in the Cathedral of the deep, I was already kindled so I thought I might as well summon a couple of guys in, we went through the area, opening some short-cuts as we went, slaying everything in our wake with ease and I picked up all the items I could, we found a hidden path and went up this lift, at this point we got invaded (you seem to get invaded a whole lot more in DS3) and the Invader goaded us all into this huge room in the roof of the Cathedral with narrow arches, needless to say it didn't go well, we all ended up accidently rolling off the arches and dying and I lost 30k Souls :(

Quickly tried to make my way back up the regain them but got killed on the way and they were lost forever :cry:. After that I did a bit more exploring on then ground floor of the Cathedral, killed a Giant by swiping around at his feet, then went up some stairs, killed some enemies here and then spotted what looked like a boss door. Had about 5 Estus' left so thought I might as sell give it a go, kindled myself, summoned in a couple guys and beat it first time, another easy boss, thought this one was really shitty to be honest, probably the least imaginative I've fought so far.

Levelled up a bit back at Firelink then travelled to the Catacombs area, I was still kindled so summoned a couple of people in again and did some exploring, this area was quite annoying I must say. Skeletons everywhere, Skeleton wheels, traps, pots with purple magic, blobs that drop on your head, it was a nightmare, we did alright though the three of us, until someone invaded and managed to goad us into a group of enemies, then we quickly died.

Decided to go it alone after this, made slow progress, got lost a lot but eventually found another Bonfire who which was a godsend.

Explored some more on my own, making slow progress, goading out enemies into one-on-one battles, finding items and eventually found a different looking cave area, and spotted a door that looked like a boss, only had one Estus left and realised I had enough Souls to level up, so ran back to the Bonfire, levelled up, then put my Soapstone down to try to see what the boss was like in someone else's game (and get an ember) before I attempted it. We made it to the boss, it seemed quite straightforward to me but I think the host was a little overwhelmed by it and he/she died quickly.

After this I travelled back to help out someone in the Farron's Keep area to get an Ember, got invaded shortly after I was summoned, but there were 3 of us and we soon put the invader down, made our way to the boss kindling me and getting an ember and Sunlight medal in the process. 

Travelled back to the Catacombs, summoned in 2 guys and we made our way to the boss and beat it first time :D, levelled up back at the Shrine then did a little exploring after the boss bonfire, found a new area (pics later) which was jaw-droppingly beautiful, a snowy Gothic town (looked a lot like Bloodborne) it was called Irithyll or something like that.

Cautiously made my way across this Bridge into this new area and of course a massive electric dog dropped down and battered me, just legged it the 2nd time and managed to find a Bonfire at the other end of the Bridge. Guardedly made my way into this new area, and found the enemies bloody tough so I thought I may not be ready for this area yet, 2nd time trying to defeat these enemies I did better but then this fire priest battered me half way up some stairs. Legged it the next time and managed to find another Bonfire just in the knick of time, I just had time for a bit of exploring from there (the enemies were much easier here thankfully), found some items, killed some enemies then ran back to the Bonfire and called it a day.

So yeah, overall a good day with 2 bosses slain, but I could've done without losing those 30k Souls :lol:, more tomorrow!

Picture time:

j0nHhu5h.png

M7QbMLwh.png

1qh9SJRh.png

j5DoxQph.png

0U6Lv88h.png

Made some good progress in the Undead Settlement. I continued exploring the second path I was talking about yesterday (taking the left route from the channeler bonfire) and that led to a fourth bonfire in this area where there was a large dude patrolling with a saw. Following that path around past the rain of freakin missiles led to a large church area with a huge courtyard, assuming a boss fight. I ignored that and continued out the other side and of course that led me back to the bonfire under the cliff I had discovered yesterday. I can see now how the whole area links up. I found the pyromancer NPC in the cage. I also found a sewer type area which unlocked the gate opening the shortcut across the rickety bridge to the previous bonfire. There was also a locked gate in here where the rats were.

I crossed the stone bridge which has a bunch of those big pot wielding guys and legged it to the big temple/church behind them. There was two NPCs here, one with a big huge fucking club who didn't say much (there was a locked door beside him) and one who was a bit of a bumbling idiot who talked about the lift only going down not up (if memory serves he looks exactly like the guy who sat outside Sens Fortress in DS1, or maybe it was another NPC). I took the lift down but there was a warning saying tough enemy ahead so I went back up. From where the big guy with the club was sitting, I dropped down to the gully below because it didn't look like that much of a drop and I could see lots of items there but I died on impact...  Oh well.

Tomorrow I'll take on the boss and also see what's down that elevator. And salvage whatever else I can find in the Undead Settlement.

Blakey - any chance you could put your pictures in spoiler tags? Your quite far in front of a lot of us, and part of the thrill of this game is the discovery. Cheers :D

Made good progress last night - managed to summon a mad phantom, who took me for a tour around a new area, showing me loads of secret stuff! We took down some really tough enemies together as well.

Also felled a really tough enemy first go on my own. Probably more luck than judgement, as the second time I had a fight with him he killed me in one hit. Unlocked two new bonfires, and found a really cool spell that attaches magic damage to my right hand weapon - and it has an awesome animation to it. I feel like an 80's cartoon hero when i activate it!

I started as Deprived and I think I might regret it :)

I am out of the training area now (that first big dude took me about 2 hours) and now I have found a nice spot for farming (the dragon area). I tentatively explored a little further today and a thief like character killed me before I saw him coming...

I have soul arrows, a club and a little bit of chain mail armour now - it's not making things any easier!

15,000 souls stuck in the optional boss fight that I shouldn't have started. The boss that can end the fight within 5 seconds of me walking in.

So, at the moment, I'm putting my summon down and trying to grind up to where I might have a cat in hells chance.

Aaaaaaand they're gone. Got invaded.

Played another 3 hours earlier, 21 hours total, now level 57.

Wasn't really sure where to start today, didn't want to start off in Irithyll as I thought that area was a bit above my station at the time so went back to the Cathedral of the Deep, put my summon sign down and decided to help some people out here.

Was quite rewarding really showing people where all the treasure was, where all the short-cuts were and helping people out, earnt a ton of Souls as well, like 60k worth over a few runs with a few different people, definitely a decent area for farming for those interested.

After this I went back to the Catacombs and did some more exploring, found a new area I hadn't seen before, opened up a couple new Bonfires, found lots of items and a few difficult enemies, died quite a few times and then put my summon sign down to help someone out with a previous boss.

This went well and we defeated the boss on the first attempt, which kindled me. I thought as I was kindled I might as well head back to Irithyll and give the area a go with a couple of Phantoms in tow. Got a really good couple of guys who showed me lots of treasures and the path to the boss in the area, I had 43k Souls on me and only 6 Estus' just before the Boss door so I was reluctant to go in but they were beckoning me in the door, so I went for it, luckily we managed it on the first attempt :D, but damn, this was a tough fight, even with 3 of us we struggled and only barely managed to kill him.

Had 75k Souls after the Boss :o, lit the Bonfire and went back to level up at the Shrine. Travelled back to the boss bonfire in Irithyll and carried on out the door, straight away I got invaded and after a long fight I died, losing my Ember. After this I just did a bit of exploring from that Boss bonfire trying to find a way, but didn't really get anywhere, found some treasure, died a bunch of times, got summoned in to others games to help them out but didn't make any real progress here then called it a day.

Pics below, more tomorrow :D

OS9AnnKh.png

QR8ZTHSh.png

fvQSbn7h.png

k6zC2oph.png

Made some more progress today. I decided to farm souls so I went back to the High Wall of Lothric and put down my summon sign outside the boss gate. I got summoned...to fight a different boss from the one I had expected (and previously fought) and I wasn't allowed cross the fog barrier! I put down my sign again and this time got summoned to fight the dog boss. Which yielded a whopping 750 souls. But one perk was that I was human again so I decided not to waste it so I ran to the fog door to fight the giant tree in the Undead Settlement (I fought him a couple of times on my own earlier today) and with two helpers, won that fight easily. That brings me to two bosses down. But beating him didn't unlock any path forward, that I could see.

I decided to explore the area you can drop down to below. I managed to land with a sliver of health left so I explored the area with the skeletons, which led to a shrine where I could absolve myself of sin or reverse hollowing, and also the other side of the locked sewer door (which the hag at Firelink Shrine is selling the key to for 1500 souls, I guess that was the proper way to get into this area). On the other side of this gully I found the princess who the NPC with the huge hammer had been talking about and I rescued her, she went back to Firelink Shrine and sells miracles (she also sells a dirt cheap ring you that gives you an extra attunement slot) I talked to him and he said that he would be my ally while I was protecting her, he's no longer in this area.

I went to the elevator to see if I could run past that strong enemy (or fight him) but instead of going down, the elevator went up. There was a giant on top of the tower who is clearly the guy throwing those gigantic missiles. I made peace with him and he gave me a white branch. From the top of the tower I could see a fiery looking enemy stomping around in an area of the Undead Settlement I haven't been to yet, I need to figure out how to get there....

I think that more or less covers my progress. I found the estus flask upgrade in the Undead Settlement (where the giant rains missiles) so my Estus Flask is +1 now. I bought Heavy Soul Arrow which is pretty useful, and I also bought a couple of cheap pyromancy spells just to mess around with them. I probably need to focus on increasing my strength, vigor, stamina and endurance for a while. But leveling up is pretty rare in this game unless you make an effort to farm souls, enemies just don't drop enough souls in the regular run of things (I have a feeling that this is more pronounced than in previous games, but I could be wrong). Currently 13 hours in and level 27.

Edit: Oh and I gave the Thief NPC in Firelink Shrine Lotetta's Bone. He asked if I want him to go out and pilfer things for me so I said yes. Hopefully he brings back something good...and doesn't die.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I still can't find that 1500 soul key anywhere. Is it definitely the vendor between the level up woman and the blacksmith?

There's the ultra expensive key but not the cheap one.

@Hendo

Yes, but it only appeared in her inventory after I gave her an item called the Mortician's Ashes, which I picked up in the Undead Settlement somewhere I think.