passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dark Souls III

DisturbedSwan

Well I discovered that those giant black masses are very weak to fire. I killed the one on the top of the castle tower (a dead end). He dropped a titanite shard and a piece of ember if memory serves. When I went back he respawned so I left him alone. I guess theoretically this would be a useful way if farming ember if necessary. I killed the one on the other side, on the rooftop, he dropped the same items I'm sure. But actually there was no point even engaging with this one. You can walk right past him to the ladder down without aggroing him. So I continued on down and ended up in a large room with lots of enemies which also had an estus shard, the first I've found, and a Cell Key. I'm guessing the Cell Key frees the NPC near the bonfire so I need to do that. I ended up on a balcony overlooking a gigantic Havel-esque enemy stomping around. I didn't want to jump down and engage him and lose all my souls so I went back to the bonfire. Considering that you can jump down to fight him and not walk through a door, I'm guessing he's not an actual boss, so I assume at this early stage of the game you are supposed to just run past him. I'll find out tomorrow.

I bought Soul Arrow and it's pretty strong, definitely worth it to have a long range attack. Already this feels proper hardcore. I have a few embers collected at this stage but I haven't used any yet.

Few more piccies from yesterday's session:

6HK4Y0Dh.png

gDyPrxrh.png

4KazlKCh.png

And, yeah @radiofloyd as @Hendo said, you can charge in and wipe out those transforming black mass creatures before they transform if you're quick, no idea how easy that would be with a Sorcery build though, also Floyd as you're on PC, if you fancy co-oping some time or need help in any bosses let me know :)

Trying to keep my posts as Spoiler-free as I can (will never go in to any great detail about bosses), but yeah, if you want to go in completely blind you may not want to read mine.

Got summoned in the first area, sticking around here for a bit.

I got called in to fight another boss in that area. Got some questions about it for those that know what I'm talking about.

Spoiler

I guess you have to hit the woman in that room to start the fight? 

I thought talking to her got me in a covenant but mine is still blank in my stats.

Or is this something you come back to?

Still haven't done that optional (?) boss yet.

I did, however, make a typically stupid mistake involving running off into the "hmmmmm" lift when it wasn't actually there. That would be bad enough but I was running back to get my souls. So that's back to zero, then. :(

This game is so fucking good. Can we all agree on that?

I freed the NPC and he gave me a Blue Tearstone Ring to give to someone called Loretta. I'll have to keep an eye out for her. I went back and beat the Chest Mimic and he dropped a Deep Battle Axe, which doesn't scale to any stat but it does both physical and dark damage so it's the strongest weapon I have at the moment (without reinforcement). Just need to raise my dexterity one more time to equip the Lothric Knight Sword and then I'll switch to that. I have a lot of titanite shards now so I should be able to reinforce it to +4 or +5. After that I want to raise my strength to 18 so I can equip the Lothric Knight Shield which is much better than my current shield, and then I'll probably put a few points into various stats so I can raise my health, stamina and equip load, things like that.

I discovered that that gigantic knight stomping around has very low health so I was able to comfortably gimp him with soul arrow from the nearby rooftop. He dropped a Winged Knight Halberd which is a very cool looking weapon but it needs a strength of 32, I might use it later in the game. The area he is patrolling leads to a large courtyard with lots of enemies and a stairs leading down, probably to a bonfire or a boss, so that's where I'm heading next!

@Blakey There's also a boss fight in there. Don't know if you need to agro the woman or not.

@radiofloyd Which NPC did you free? I know exactly where you are (and you are correct about what's next) but I don't remember freeing an NPC.

I've been switching between 2 reasonably good swords for a while and upgraded both of them but have now picked up a better one from a mini-boss that I believe will do a freezing attack as well as good hits.

I've done a second boss now, one that the surroundings change rather than the boss having a second form. Beat him, again with the aid of help. But I think now it might be time to go back and try and open the rest of the doors in the last area. Not sure how though.

I also still have the dragon there, don't think I have any arrows left - no idea how you're meant to aim them properly.

Started this last night, defeated the tutorial boss and sat down at the bonfire at the Firelink Shrine at level 13. I went with the Knight class and life ring. Hopefully get back on it tonight and have a look around the first proper area. Love the little I've seen so far. 

@Hendo

This tagging thing is cool. The NPC I'm talking about is near the second bonfire where I am. If you walk down the stairs into the tower, go down two more levels from there and just follow the only path out. There's a few enemies including a guy who throws firebombs at you. And then you'll come to the jail cell.

Yeah it is good, I'm already enjoying it much more than BB, some of the environs are quite familiar and enemy designs recycled from previous games, but I just love the world and the sense of exploration in this much more.

BB to me, felt very claustrophobic, and whilst the art design was fantastic it all felt like largely the same massive Gothic-Cathedral like area with a few off-shoots into a forest etc. Thrown in for good measure, this feels much more like the original DS to me, and at one point today I was flabbergasted when I went up a ladder and it led me to a previously inaccessible area right near the beginning of the game, I was utterly shocked at that incredible level design. 

There seems like there's much more to the game, and much more exploration to be had as well, in BB I was like 2/3 through the game by now and finished it in 21 hours or so, I can see this easily taking me double that.

Anyhoo...played another 3 hours earlier, now 14 hours in, Level 37.

Was a bit of a strange day for me really, didn't make a huge amount of progress, but did a lot of exploring, picked up a lot of goodies and opened up a few new Bonfires in a couple of new areas.

Started off by going back to the Woods and picking up whatever I missed the first time I was there,got invaded whilst doing so, got cocky as the invader wasn't very good and met my end, first Invasion I've experienced, I do like a bit of PvP on the odd occasion. After this I found a different path with a couple of tough enemies which led to a new area 'Farron's Keep', lit the Bonfire here then returned to the Crystal Sage bonfire to explore the path I thought I was meant to go down after the boss yesterday.

Made decent progress here, some tough-ish enemies but nothing I couldn't handle, had to be patient with the human-like enemies though as they could down you in no time if you weren't paying attention (similar to the Hunter enemies in BB), made my way through here and discovered anlther new area 'Cathedral of the Deep' had a little furkle about round this area, but had repeatedly owned so realised it was probably too tough for me at the moment. Decided to put my summon down and explore this new area in someone else's game to get a lie on the land for latrer, and boy am I glad I did, this was a very tough area with plenty of tough enemies and one eye-popping boss at the end (which one-shotted all of us).

Went back to the Farron's Keep bonfire, put my summon down to do some Moore co-op and explore, but the poison killed me after a while. This was a much easier area and more enjoyable so I stayed here, explored, found items, killed the odd enemy and found another bonfire half way in, loved this area I must say, very atmospheric and spooky.

Spoiler

Found a ladder here that led up to another Bonfire and showed a petrified Wolf with a Sword next to him, think it was meant to be the Wolf from the original DkS, very cool. Saw a lift in this same sectoiom near the Bonfire, took it up and it led to the other side of the Bridge which you explore from the first Undead Settlement Bonfire, utterly fantastic this was.

Eventually unlocked a massive stone door (I'm assuming a boss is behind it) by extinguishing fires or something and then left it there for the day, more tomorrow :D

41 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

@Hendo

This tagging thing is cool. The NPC I'm talking about is near the second bonfire where I am. If you walk down the stairs into the tower, go down two more levels from there and just follow the only path out. There's a few enemies including a guy who throws firebombs at you. And then you'll come to the jail cell.

I know that room but haven't had an option to open it yet.

29 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I know that room but haven't had an option to open it yet.

From the rooftop where the black shadow enemy appears (near where the large guy is patrolling), go down the ladder and through the door next to the bottom of the ladder. There's several enemies in here and the last room has lots of enemies. On one side of the room there's steps that lead down to a dead end with one of those dog enemies and a corpse with an item, I think the item is the Cell Key. But either way the Cell Key is in here.

Literally just done it!

There's also two rooms nearby that I can't open, one looks like it has a lift in it.

Edit: scratch that, one isn't a door, it just looks down upon another area I've already been. Still pretty sure there's a lift in the other one though.

Where's Loretta?

Edit 2: The Sequel

Got myself a ring that gives back health with successful attacks, just what I needed.

Edit 3: Return of the Edit

Alresdy found Loretta before so done my deed.

Talk to the guy with no legs in the Firelink Shrine, give him something and he becomes a vendor.

To be honest, I can't see the health going back up much at all.

I did what I had to to get that second boss in the first proper area. I'm guessing I shouldn't have because hits are doing barely any damage and it can one hit kill you. So that's great.