passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Division

DisturbedSwan

Played 10 hours of this so far, mostly with Sly and Small, absolutely loved every second of it I must say, and a whole lot more than when I played the Alpha in January.

The game looks bloody stunning on PS4, the frame-rate seems to be 30 but incredibly stable (had no noticeable hiccups at all) and I haven't seen any bugs whatsoever, someone who I was playing with a bug right at the beginning (I think due to server overload) where everyone was queuing up to enter a button on a computer terminal to complete an objective in the Tutorial, but apart from that I've not noticed anything personally, just the odd bit of pop-in every now and again which is an extremely minor fault. Everything just looks so much better than the Alpha I played in January, I guess that's to be expected as that was running at 900p on the 'Bone apparently and the frame-rate, stuttering and screen-tearing was horrendous back then, but now, on PS4 at least, it's just buttery smooth, easily the most polished and stable Ubisoft game I've played in quite some time.

As for the gameplay, well there isn't too much different here if you played the Alpha and/or Beta I guess, but the gunplay in particular (to me) feels slightly better, and more satisfying when you pop a headshot, it has almost that Destiny-level of Headshot satisfaction now which wasn't present in the Alpha I found, the main missions are fucking amazing (especially with friends), all seem rather varied and there's tons of them, tons of side-missions to do and that's not even mentioning the Dark Zone which I haven't been able to access yet (only got up to Level 10 earlier today).

So yeah, an incredibly impressive first 10 hours with the game, can't really see me changing my mind, but we'll see I guess, really wish I got the Gold Edition when it was on offer on Amazon now because I just know I'll want that season pass.

Also, Me and Sly played a few hours with Jim-fucking-Sterling-son and made it into his Division video :D, it was an honour playing with the man, the myth, the legend himself a couple nights ago:

http://youtu.be/rP7YJYk9ubM?t=23m24s

That nearly broke my heart and game. Trying to type on a computer for 30 minutes in various queues to the accompaniment of ironic clapping from other equally stuck players.

Loving it now tho. Bumped into dekard last night. No headset but I could still hear him screaming "cut him, cut him" Then linked up with Ed which, even tho again without Comms, was much more productive. Got some useful enjoyable stuff done. Nearly rank 14 now and got the placeable area of affect med kit unlocked. Also liking the turret which I'll probably look to upgrade.

Good game - going to eat up time.

Had been enjoying this but I fell through the scenery twice now and last night I couldnt play as my account was 'temporarily unavailable' which is fucking unnacceptable. I want to play the game i paid Forty fucking pounds for.

I've played this quite a bit and I'm still not sure what I think of it, sure I've enjoyed it enough so far but I've been playing in co-op which makes most things good. I thought I'd hate it after finding the second beta boring, but I definitely don't hate it, so that's good I guess. Had some funny moments in the dark zone with accidentally going rogue a few times. Lost some loot from a boss because my backpack was full and everything sets on fire after you kill him so no time to scrap stuff. So there you go.

Yeah, I think it's ruddy bloody brilliant I must say, played 20 hours with Sly and Small now, we're all about Level 16-18 and having an absolute whale of a time.

It's similar to Destiny in the way the game is structured, but the big difference is that there's SO much more content in the game on Day 1, the map is huge, there's always an incredible amount to do, the main 'campaign' missions if you can call them that have some serious legs to them, the main missions themselves are always amazing, tense, fun and surprising affairs and then you've got all the post-game/end-game content stuff to do once you've finished everything, can easily see me ploughing 70-100 hours into this before Quantum Break arrives earlier next month.

The Loot system is really good, it definitely has that sense of 'oooh I wonder what this is' that the best loot-collecting games have, unlike Destiny though there's no horrendous RNG at play, if you get a blue drop or a green drop it'll be a blue or green drop, there's no chance it could transform into something else when you get it back to base. I thought it would be a bit bland picking up a new set of kneepads or something, it seemed dull in the Alpha, but picking up a new drop and seeing your DPS go up to over 9,500 or something in one foul swoop is pretty exhilarating.

It's incredibly addictive too, not quite as much as Destiny on release maybe but it's still damn addictive, I can't stop thinking about playing it, when I'm in Bed I'm thinking about it, when I'm at work I'm thinking about it, it has that 'retention' to it that Devs always go on about.

The one thing I don't really like about it is the fact that your Inventory gets full so damn quickly and your Stash box has a finite amount of stuff you can put in it, for an RPG (of sorts) it's incredibly annoying to have to scrap or sell everything in your stash box every now and then because your Inventory is full and you don't want to sell/demolish the weapons/items in your inventory.

I might have to be the voice of opposition here.

It's a good game, no doubt. But I dont personally think it's a great game, i'm not always having fun. I've played a decent mixed of single player and multiplayer and it definitely shines more in multi. But what it is is nothing new. And what it starts out as as a game is pretty much what it is as a game the rest of the way through. You sweep through a building, killing waves of enemies, ending in a boss battle who is the same as the other guys just with more energy, then you do that again. Get better weapons/equipment, deconstruct or sell weapons/equipment. It's nothing new, it's just put together in a nice package.

I felt this way about WactunderscoreDogs and I gave up halfway through. It's not gripping me, I dont mind it when I play it but I've been making myself load it up instead of wanting to. I dunno, maybe it will change, I've just had a bad experience in the dark zone but that was single player and it seems like that's a place for two people or more.

Ive played a bit of this, died a fair bit, i couldn't pick up a health pack and no idea what im doing wrong. The grenades and the dizziness from the smoke bombs is a nice touch, graphically its a pretty game lots going on. Its a very nice game, but its no gears.

It hasn't gripped me tbh, might give it a go later but my backlog of games is calling

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from Illdog, after 24 hours of play I can clearly see the structure of the game and the way everything works with side-missions, 'encounters', main missions, collecting collectibles, loot-collecting, upping your character stats. The way the AI behave and some mission types have become a tad repetitive, but the loot-collecting, base upgrading, the addictive base desire to constantly level up and reach that next level closer to 30 just drives me on.

I just have so much fun with it, it's an incredibly fun game to play in co-op and keeps me coming back for more. If you want to break it down, sure it's essentially a repeating Horde mode with different enemies at differing levels and loot thrown into the mix, but then a lot of games are like that really if you break them down (the ME trilogy, Destiny, Tomb Raider 2013, Gears, Uncharted etc.). I will say it is nowhere near as fun playing the PvE stuff on your own, I've played on my own the odd afternoon mopping up collectibles and I've found myself getting a little bored, but as soon as I'm in with Sly and Small again I'm back to having an absolute whale of a time.

Got up to about Level 10/11 in the Dark Zone, went in on my own last week to try it out and didn't have too many problems, only saw one guy go 'Rogue' and kill me the entire time I was in there (I got my revenge), everyone else was surprisingly civil and courteous really, it does get a bit tense when you're extracting your gear in an extraction zone and you have to wait 90 seconds for a chopper, you don't know if NPC gangs or other groups of players are going to take you out, you're a sitting duck essentially (especially on your own), but that's part of the fun, with a group of people it would be amazing, but only tried it on my own thus far.

Had a really nice session on this with some randoms last night, just mopping up a few side missions and encounters, then doing the department store mission (which was ace). It took a while to bite, probably because i was just going over the stuff i'd done before in the beta, but really liking it now.

Picked up a stubby little machine gun as a secondary weapon that rips stuff apart close range. Shame there are no melee weapons though.

What lifespan do people that have played so far see the game having? Will you still be playing in say, a years time? will it depend on the content drops, does it need those already? Does it need a few breaks away from it?

I want to spend all my time there at the moment and feel there's still a lot to give. We're currently only operating in part of Manhattan so there's the rest of that plus DLC for the boroughs. We've not even begun to delve properly into the dark zones yet. I feel no sign of impending boredom. With friends it's engrossing lootable fun.

What lifespan do people that have played so far see the game having? Will you still be playing in say, a years time? will it depend on the content drops, does it need those already? Does it need a few breaks away from it?

For me, I'll probably play the base-game much like I did Destiny.

In Destiny I played it a shit-load in just over a month, about 75 hours. Finished the story, did tons of grinding to get upto Light Level 27, met up with some folks from the CVG Forum to do the Raid (which to this day is one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming), then carried on doing the daily missions, challenges, strikes etc. for a week or so, got bored and haven't played it since.

That's me though, I go from one game to another, I had a month to play Destiny to my hearts content, then something else came out and I moved onto that and so on, I've still got the two Destiny expansion packs that I've yet to play.

I imagine The Division will go similarly for me, I'll finish the Campaign with Sly and Small, get to Level 30 (Max Rank), then I'm assuming the 'real game' begins where there'll be grinding, loot runs, Dark Zone runs etc. to carry on getting higher and higher level gear and (I'm assuming) attain a higher attain a higher level through clothing or something, I don't know what the 'end-game' content is, but I know it includes 'Phoenix Credits' whatever they are.

So yeah, for me I'll probably play it until at least April 5th when Quantum Break comes out, which'll probably be around the 80 hour mark, then if I buy the season pass I'll come back to it in the Summer if it comes out in a window where nothing else is being released.

It has a hell of a lot more stuff in the base-game then Destiny did too, it has tons of collectibles, side-missions, encounters, an actual campaign, the Dark Zone, the 'end-game' stuff, the loot collecting, the base upgrading, all that good stuff in the base game, it definitely is nowhere near as starved for content as Destiny was at launch I assure you, even if you're not interested in playing it after the campaign is over you should still get a good 40+ hours out of it.

It's hard to say whether people will be playing it in a years time or not really, as I'm purely speculating what I think the 'end-game' portion of the game is, but if Massive have got it right it should keep people entertained all the way through to this time next year (especially with the three DLC packs coming out between now and March 2017), probably not me personally as I flit from game to game like a sponge, absorbing different experiences as a I go, but I can guarantee some will be playing it regularly in a years time if Massive have got the 'end-game' stuff right and the DLC is decent.

i think it's too early to say if i'll be sticking with this in the long term, i haven't been bothered to play it solo yet. but i'm still enjoying it, and have played a lot, about 20 hours i'd say, and i can easily see me doubling that at least. the missions and bad guys are a bit samey, i'm hoping the end game stuff will be good, but am slightly sceptical, we'll see i guess.