passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XIV Online: Endwalker

DisturbedSwan

Fuck those guys. As a tank that used to duo with a healer, those guys didn't last long and after having to play solo, it was them that ultimately made me not want to play anymore. With so many people playing on console I can understand them not being super talkative but I would always start with asking if people were new and if they were I would talk them through bosses and that, if not then it's on like Donkey Kong. When I was levelling Dark Knight I would tell people it would be a bit slower and I just avoided Aurum Vale like the fucking plague. 

Finished Stormblood. Opinion didn't change much on it, but now I get to check out all the level 70 endgame stuff which is apparently where SB is a lot better than most. Cant wait to fight Kefka

Didn't do so well on the final boss tho, lots of new mechanics (including a fecking QTE) so I spent most of the time painting the floor ?

(Someone elses video I found of it)

Spoiler

On holidays now so have a chance to detox before binging on Shadowbringers.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to try out the FFVI raid. Was pretty cool, but I think you have to do the extra hard "savage" mode to see Kefka in his Dancing Mad form. Which I dont know if I have the stones for...

Production value wise these raids are on the up. Kefka even has the muscley naked clown tower thing going on. They did one for the phantom train bit of VI too which was probably my favourite overall.

Anyway cause VII is so in right now I got the Cloud motorcycle. Look at how cool I am

Sorry for screaming into the void with this one. I think I'm the only one here playing Shadowbringers atm so it's a bit of a one sided spamfest by me.

But I saw this and thought it interesting for people like @maf who were maybe put off by the pace of the game. They are going to streamline Realm reborn (base game) and make it easier to catch up on relevant content

https://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiv-s-main-quest-will-be-shortened-soon-563274.phtml

I don’t think I hated the pace it just didn’t really sink it’s teeth in. I will go back to it at some point but I’m also not in a rush to hit the cap and have to start paying to play. When I go back it will have to get a lot more compelling before I would be willing to money down 

Credits running on Stormblood and all its patches, finally about to start Shadowbringers.

Story was a lot better in the patches. This boss in particular was a big highlight

This whole game is like binging a long running anime with how the story is treated. Pity about some of the filler arcs and that you cant get season 1 anymore

My jaw dropped at this. Maths during a raid! Who do you take me for? ?

ECSFe4zXkAMSAsx?format=jpg&name=small

ECSFcDbXYAI9FDT?format=jpg&name=large

You have to place yourself under the number that equals what the raid boss wants. Had to scram to remember the fibonacci sequence* all while worrying about who needs healing if they don't know what a prime number is.

This is the greatest game ever

*(And now I am remembering that Fibonnaci has nothing to do with prime numbers...)

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm halfway through Shadowbringers. I think the story in this is really good and the soundtrack is really beautiful. If you're a fan of FF music I recommend even just finding some of the music on YouTube even if you don't play the game

But yet...

I really wish that XIV could have its Avengers Endgame, where they have the big de facto finale and give some closure to those of us who had our best times with the game during Heavensward. ShB's story might yet be better than HW, especially as it's all about the main villains instead of this random dragon war. The world is fascinating, a world where the heroes of light fucked up and turned their world into an oversaturated hell where they have too much light and too little dark. Where there hasn't been a night for 100 years.

The characters are the best they've ever been* and the game is delivering on bits of narrative that were first sown back in 2015. You feel the buildup and it's all impactful and earned. The world design is great and a big improvement over Stormblood, probably better than Heavensward too.

But it's still XIV and it's hard to feel the same excitement and magic for a game you've played on and off for 4 years. Even when it's really good like this.

I reserve the right to do a full 180 at endgame tho.

EDKrvZ_X4AABhOW?format=jpg&name=large

EDKrg0EW4BQfS8G?format=jpg&name=large

EDKyOntXkAIV8tv?format=jpg&name=large

* except for the Irish fairies. omg ??

• 3 weeks later...

Clocked Shadowbringers. The ending was great, but story really lagged in the middle.

The advantage xiv has with it's big story moments is the length of time you've been with these characters on their journey. Shadowbringers rounds out character arcs that started 6 years ago. It pulls in a bunch of story from a raid which was optional in A Realm Reborn, but is now the core of this story. So it does a great job of making everything you do feel super meaningful over time. It's cool in a sort of anime soap opera kind of way.

This is also I think the best villain a Final Fantasy game has ever had, if you're into villains with shades of grey

f1970e75ccb09767e02291eb6cfb8f9a6e724b49

(No trust me tho this was a good scene...)

EE_GAQ5WsAAdZqU?format=jpg&name=large

Spirited Away vibes...

Onto Eden (FF8) raid and getting gear ready for Nier.

EE_po_aWsAA8Tek?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EE_pb1nXkAA9uVe?format=jpg&name=large

I want to say also that this expac has the best bosses I've seen in a RPG in a long while

• 1 month later...

Just did the new Nier raid, 24 man. Wow, got my ass kicked pretty bad in the end. Bit of a wipe fest. Easily way harder than any other raid I've done, took over an hour.

Maybe running a mechanically deep raid full of systems nobody as seen before today as a summoner was a bit of a poo decision.

Clipped a few fights. Not the last one though, as it was far too embarrassing.

I actually did two runs of it, trying to learn mechanics before next week when people will start to get toxic about being rubbish at it. It was a really cool raid but it was also very hard to even see what was happening, that Nier aesthetic just makes everything look white.

Also this is really weird as we were just talking about it in Sekiro thread, but the frame rate got so bad in one boss that my client side input started to lag on ps4. Not network lag, the analogue stick was actually taking time to respond. Feels like this game is hitting its limit on Pro, which is crazy to think when it started as a ps3 game. Really need to get on with getting a bigger screen and a pc

Unfortunately did not get any 2B cosplay out of it. Maybe next time ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I been busting my ass on this 'extreme' version of the final raid boss in Shadowbringers. Came out end of October so it's current content (not outdated). Found a good group and after like ten hours spread across two days we finally managed a clear.

I've never really bothered with the high end raids in XIV but I needed a new challenge after 1000 hours, so getting this was actually kind of emotional all told cause its not just a personal skill check but a measure of how eight people can perform mechanics in tandem perfectly, and one mistake can mean a wipe

I wanted to share it here but it wont make much sense I guess if you don't know raids. Anyway oof I think I'm going to need to stick to hitting turtles with a sword for a while after that.

• 1 month later...

I understand this has a dull start but how long does it take to pick up? 

I started this since I was having trouble sleeping so it was a good opportunity to do something mindless and I played this for hours.  Got to level 16 and it's been a bit to easy so far.  I admit I didn't venture into areas with higher level enemies or anything but I don't have the options in my skills to go beyond my level and do something risky (I'm a Lancer). 

I do feel like going back to it since I think I unlocked some stuff to progress further.  I just hope something interesting happens before I hit the trial's level cap.  I want to see something of what this game is about before then. 

If you are having trouble sleeping then Realm Reborn is a great cure.

Honestly, FFXIV as it currently exists is not something I can recommend to people.... despite always recommending it to people. 

Realm Reborn (2.0) is kind of bad now, due to the way it was rushed together and how it's gotten trivialised by game balance changes. Someone over on the ERA community thread shared his playtimes for all the expansions tho https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-ot2-the-zodiark-killer.166561/page-27#post-29122089

2.0 - 53
2.55 - 76
3.0 - 113
3.55 - 134
4.0 - 175
4.55 - 194
5.0 - 237

3.0 is Heavensward, the one everyone considers the part where things get good. So question is do you have that many hours of patience (76)

Austin Walker over at waypoint has done the same journey but I think his TTH (time to heavensward... :p) was 97 hours.

This is my gotg for a reason though. If you can stick with it it's an excellent game but yes it will not be fun for you for a long time. If you weren't just playing the trial I'd ask have you considered buying a potion to skip Realm Reborn and just watching a youtube summary. Honestly as someone who skipped a lot of cutscenes back when I did ARR it's what I'd recommend at this point. The story is important but not so important that you can't just watch a 30 minute video and actually get on with playing a better video game.

Or you can wait until the Realm Reborn 'rework' that happens in 5.3 where they will remove a lot of quests from the vanilla game. That'll happen in probably 4 months or so if it stays on schedule. I've my doubts as to how much this will improve the experience though.

I'd also recommend watching some level 70 and level 80 content and deciding if that type of gameplay could be for you eventually, cause that's the good stuff (not that level 50-69 is bad as such, but that's where the learning curve is now). You like Warframe so maybe you'd like this, I dunno.

5.2 is out tomorrow so I'll be back on this looking for my fix..

I think I'll just stumble through it.  I did the same with Warframe and took little advice from YouTubers because I'm stubborn like that, and I still got decent enough at it and made some good builds.  Learning is half the fun. 

So it looks like if I want to see the true FFXIV I gotta hang out a bit. 

I'll look into the cost because it doesn't look too straightforward.  Might at least get the starter pack when I've hit lvl 30.

• DisturbedSwan changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV Online: Endwalker