passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xenoblade Chronicles X

HandsomeDead

I have been on this loads, but assume because of the weather around here we had a millisecond drop in electricity and I don't want to think about the progress I've just lost. There is no auto-save, and very infrequent reminders. Save often, people.

So while I'm here I'll drop some impressions. It rules.

Despite these environments being shown a lot in the run up to this game coming out they do still mange to impress in a different way when you actually interact with them. They aren't just a thing you look at, these places are something you have to deal with. They are laid out in brilliant ways. They're not just big meadows you can traverse as the bird flies, but then they aren't exactly linear paths either; you have to do some orienteering.

Like, you can look at a lovely cliff with a pretty waterfall down the way but sometimes getting there isn't that simple. The environment won't make it easy, and neither will the wildlife. Sometimes the only route you can find will be through where dangerous monsters live that are twenty levels higher than you and knowing where to run to escape if you're seen, where it's safe® is something worth considering when going somewhere like that.

The first Xenoblade had some of that, but here it's more natural since it's not just high level enemies guarding secret areas for later (there is still some of that) but it mostly feels quite lived in.

I suppose that fits with the story. I've played a lot but story beats are few and far between, same as before, but humanity had to flee Earth as two other alien races decided to use Earth's surrounding area as a fight club and it got blown up during the fight. So one ship (we know of) got away and crash landed on this new planet full of horrible beasties. But they're trying to make it home.

It has themes of war and refugees, splatterings of racist tension and a bit that reminded me of seal clubbing so yeah, welcome to 2015 I suppose (or any other time).

Fighting is like the first one, but different. I don't think I fully understand it yet and I might never since I don't think I ever fully understood the combat from the last one but I still finished it so I might know enough.

It's just about getting the right position and/or using the right move on the right bit of animal but not being to liberal with everything since holding back some moves for when your allies calls them out makes them more powerful. There is more to consider as well but I've said enough.

There is enough that keeps your brain ticking during a fight, even though when you watch a fight play out without controlling it it does look like utter nonsense but there is quite a fun logic to when you are making the decisions.

It's pretty good.

I tried playing this Saturday night but was too tired, but it got it's hooks in good and proper last night. Really loving this, lots to take in (never played any of the previous games) but it's starting to make a bit of sense, managing to take down enemies a few levels above me without too much trouble, and I've changed class so that I carry a massive beam cannon around on my back.

I like the divisions idea, basically 8 'clans' that all have different jobs to help the city, I went with outfitters, helping to develop new weapon technology with arms companies.

The world itself is incredible. You really feel like your exploring this brave new world, full of things that want to eat you.

Oh and the Skells, they look incredible. Can't wait to get my mits on one.

About 11 hours in now, just started chapter four. I'm actually finding it really relaxing to play, it's a great world to romp around, with loads of stuff to do. Even the combat pretty much takes care of itself, with just enough input required to make it interesting.

Quite like the idea that loosing to a boss five times drops it's level, although was fighting this ape like creature the size of a small office complex, and twice when I nearly had him, I knocked him off a cliff edge, only to have him reappear behind me with full health.

Favourite community post so far as well: "Welcome to New L+A."

If chapter 4 is the one I'm thinking of then there is a bit of a difficulty spike there so it is worth doing some other bits.

It's really worth looking into the affinity missions as well after you've done the story mission as you can't except them while a story mission is active.

I'm in Oblivia now and it has got tough again.

Yeah, I did a few affinity missions before starting mission four - seem to be going ok but but keep getting lost and disturbing some of the big stuff. Swam across a lake and saw this cool looking thing with a few collectibles around it - the thing unfolded in front of me into a massive level 60 robot that one shotted me!

Haha, I did the exact same thing. Just thought it was crashed mech but when I got close it lit up like a Christmas tree and fired laser insta-death at me.

It really is a good job they don't punish death a lot since I'm finding stuff like that happens quite often. Though half of the time it's me pushing my luck going somewhere I shouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Skell got!

skell_zpsnw4ubqda.jpg

It handles like a barge in vehicle mode so I don't like exploring with it much. I'd rather just fast travel and go by foot. But it is good for fights and it has been nice strutting up to big monster boys with it I've had trouble with and 'having a word'.

I think until I can get a flying one it will just be used for fights.

As for general progress there have been times I have been frustrated by enemy placements and where I have to be. Also, the characters aren't really going anywhere apart from maybe one of two of the sub characters.

I have a funny feeling there is a lot more game to go as well since the main plot is only really gearing up to something now.

Yeah, I know the Skells look cool and stuff but don't get the game for them. It's something I've noticed on podcasts and stuff, people itching for them from the start and going through the first 40 hours to get the Skell and only thinking of it. That would be frustrating to have that as your only goal.

I do think the world and environment design is still the star of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now 28 hours in and two side missions off getting my skell license. One is collecting some random shit, and the other is to generate 15,000 credits in one go through probes. After half an hour of messing around with it i'm getting 14,800. Think i need a couple more research probes!

I'm not sure I fully understand how that part of the game works. I just know I don't have many research nodes in my setup, only mining nodes and and some storage nodes. The quest ticked itself off after I did the best with the spaces I had and it was mostly with a G4 mining nodes 5 or 6 combo.

Been reading online that some spaces give more resources than others so you have to be fairly strategic in placing the right probes in areas with an A rating, then using boosters and duplicators to get more out of them. I should have paid more attention when the game tried explaining it to me!