passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege

DisturbedSwan

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been posting but this game has been my jam since I bought it. I think I've almost played it everyday. Every time I turn on the console I want to play.

There's not really any shooter like this. I won't really agree that it's a evolution of COD. To me they've took the destruction that Battlefield pioneered and cleverly made it a huge gameplay element. It's has elements of CS too.

The sound design is amazing too and again cleverly adds more to the gameplay. For example you might hear muffled thumps of someone grappling up a side of building or you might a echo'y sound of people running down a corridor beside you. There's no radar so all the sound is really important. It's really nicely done.

The season pass.. might be the most pointless one I've seen (so far). All the maps are free day 1 but the pass gives you skins and you get operators a week in advance. After a week you can buy them with the XP points you earn in game. I think they're only 22k each which isn't that much at all. £25 for the pass :facepalm:

The new operators they've added have mixed it up in matches too. As there's new gadgets that you have to look out for and the way they can work with other items.

I think this does have a slight learning curve though. Just because you have to kinda retrain your brain from what you do in other shooters.

But it's really fun. Probably my favourite FPS about at the moment.

This isn't really my sort of game but I know a few people who play it so took a punt on it for £25 and after an unsure start I've been really enjoying it. Not sure I can explain why exactly, I seem to be having fun despite the team killing, hiding in a room not seeing a single baddie for a whole round, and dying right at the start and having to watch the rest of the round. Even if you die at the start you can spot people from cameras and provide tactical info and stuff. The rounds arent too long either which helps.

That post was a emotional rollercoaster Spatular. I think you like it. :lol:

I haven't seen team killing that much, but I've noticed playing it when there's a lot of kids on (after school time or weekend mornings) can be a nightmare.

Sitting all in same room tactic is fine. But if you have someone protecting the objective and you know roughly where the enemy is, you should send at least one person to try and flank them. Especially if they're above you.

The game's sound design is super important but it doesn't actually tell you. For example in the game sound doesn't travel through walls. So depending where you are standing in the room the sound can be different because you could be closer to a door way where the noise can travel through easier.

I think if you're next to a wall where someone is rappling on the other you'll hear the thuds but if you're elsewhere in the room you might not hear it.

It's worth watching these mythbuster videos too. As you'll find out stuff that's obvious but you didn't think about. For example the jammers also affects laser sights which will affect enemies gun accuracy, they also affect the shield flash too and grenades don't have a game's area of damage they work like real life ones and will have shrapnel flying from the explosion.

http://youtu.be/HsQgh1WzCe0

Still havent got a full squad wipe yet. I took out 4 when I was in a party with some of you lot a few days ago and a load of 3 kills but no 5. One day.

Haha, yeah I do like it :)

And yeah we don't all generally sit in the same room hiding! but sometimes I might while others go wandering. I know about the sound stuff a bit too and have turned my speakers up, but my setup is a problem here. I should have got some of those Sony headphones when they were cheapish. I need to learn the maps better too.

edit - that mythbuster thing was cool.

Yeah, they're decent. He's made a few of them.

Stuff like the attackers being able use Rook's armour bag blew my mind. That hadn't occurred to me at all. I was usually just putting the bag in the centre of the room so everyone could see it. Which is a terrible idea if the enemies can use it. So now I hide it the best I can near the objective.

Carpet damping your foot steps compared to hard floors was another thing that makes total sense that I hadn't clicked.

The amount of little gameplay details in this is crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Siege's season pass is a weird one.

Maps will always be free to everyone. You get 7 days early access to new operators. I think they just unlock with the pass but you have to buy them with renown if you don't have one. There about 20K to unlock. If you're playing it quite a lot i don't think that's too much. 

I think you get some skins and some extra challenges but they're not necessary.

If it's cheap, it might be worth it just to get the new operators and save your renown to spend on something else. But you're not missing out on anything if you don't get it. 

Gone back to this recently.

Downloaded the UHD texture pack and all the new maps.

Just as amazing as I remember it, maybe even better, played at least 9-12 hours over the past week. Forgot how goddamn amazing this game can be, it just gets the heart beating, the adrenaline running like hardly any other game can, it's just phenomenal.

Out of the new maps I tried Yacht and Favela, didn't get the chance to try Border unfortunately, but Yacht and Favela are very good. Yacht is a more traditional RS:S map I'd say, very tight and compact, whereas Favela is incredibly open and prone to you getting sniped across the map with a pistol if you're not careful.

Not sure what made me go back to this but I'm incredibly pleased I did, I stand by and reaffirm my original comments that this is one of the best multiplayer games of recent years (and maybe one of the best of all time). It's great that you don't need a season pass or anything to play the new maps, a bit annoying to miss out on the new operators though, but the originals are good enough still.

• 1 year later...

Mega bump!

Went back to this again recently, probably the first time I've played it since mid 2017. Needless to say it is still phenomenal.

They've added quite a few new maps and operators since I last played it and it seems to take my longer than other MP games to get used to them, I must've looked like a complete idiot at times when I was learning some of the new maps - vaulting over ledges and having to be revived and getting lost - but slowly but surely I'm getting there.

I have never been fantastic at the game, I believe I've played 3 of the seasons competitively (1, 2 and 3 I believe) and have never gotten better than Silver - although I have a Gold charm in my inventory so perhaps I got as high as Gold at one point? - and have been carried massively at times by some folks who are really good. 

I maybe shouldn't of dived straight back into Ranked play when I got back into it but as I don't care too much about my rank I went for it - as it gives the most satisfaction when you win and feels like it has the most stakes. But I played pretty horrendously for quite some time (particularly on maps I wasn't au fait with) and have only recently started to improve the last couple of days.

I've been trying to learn the intricacies of some of the new operators like Lesion, Dokkaebi and Alibi on top of trying to improve my overall play and aiming in particular but it has been a bit rocky at times but I have still loved every second of it. 

I'm so pleased this turned out to be such a success, when I first played the closed alpha back in 2015 I knew Ubi were on to something with this - even though the excitement from the rest of the gaming sphere was underwhelming at best - and it is just so amazing to go back in and see such a thriving scene and such a vibrant game that keeps on improving, expanding and adding new bits and pieces year on year.

I believe there's some kind of starter edition available with only 6 operators for £12 or something like that nowadays so if you're interested in giving this a go I cannot recommend it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update on this, I've played a whole lot more and seen some more of the downsides - which have all come from the community side unfortunately.

I've had a really bad losing run since my previous post, one day I went 8 games without a Win and my Rank hasn't really recovered. I went from a Silver 2 to a Copper 4 (the lowest you can go) in the space of about 20 games or so and it will be hard to get back up to Bronze as it is.

I'm not sure if the Copper rank just attracts cunts or what but the community has gone from the odd toxic asshole you encounter to a hell of a lot. I had one dude hoping I got cancer and tons of weird team killing and trolling going on, it just really gets on my tits and makes it all the harder to scrape my way up to Bronze. Losing a tight game when the other team is just a little better I can accept but losing a game through disconnects, team killing and/or toxicity that makes everyone too nervous to actually have fun and play the game is a right pain in the arse.

I adore the game itself and reported every Toxic person I've come into contact with but it's just a shame this has to mar the thrill of playing it somewhat. 

Really copper should be just for people that are bad sports. Even if you lose as long as you don't team kill or disconnect you should rise above the scum.If you have someone disconnected or you have any team kills it should give you points to bring you out the swamp up to a certain level. No going to the top, just getting you out the quagmire.

Yeah that would be a good idea @Sly Reflex it just gets frustrating because the game is magnificent but if people act like cunts there's not much you can do. You can't even leave in Ranked because you'll incur a 15 minute abandon penalty and lose the match by default. 

I wish there was some kind of 'let' where that game gets nullified from your record if one or more people leave and/or spawn killing goes on. They're trying their best with the toxicity with the report function but it seems there's plenty of folks who have slipped through the cracks.

The issue is that people can report people that have done nothing wrong. I don't know if you remember meu from g™ but people used to report him all the time on LIVE. He'd not done anything wrong, apart from beat the person that was being salty. Cunt's gonna cunt.

• 2 months later...

I've been trundling through the tutorial things. Fuck me, it's really difficult using a keyboard and mouse after over a decade of using a joypad only.

I failed the first tutorial mission. I got rushed at the end and just couldn't kill them quick enough. Managed to work out a better strat though using the drone. Still didn't have a perfect run but it helped me with the controls.

Took me 2 goes to rescue the hostage. I nearly bought it at the end, pistolling is pretty tough. The iron sights make it touch to hit things in the distance. In fact talking about that this might be one of the few games I actually desire having scopes on the guns. Usually I don't like them at all, but here, I need them.

Took me a few goes to do the bomb diffusal. I mean I learn lessons there. There's no way you need to fight through the house when you can put a patch on the window with the objective in, blow it in and then lob a flashbang in and cap the bad guys.

Actually got to play as an operative as well, the one where you play as Ash in the plane. Did it first time, but inopportune reloads and getting rushed at the end nearly saw a fail. I can feel my aiming getting better already though, even though my left hand only knows where WASD, R, control, shift and spacebar are. I bet if I put a pad in I'd still be all thumbs with the equipment and stuff, although it doesn't really help that the numbers go up to 6 with the stuff you can equip. I think some gadgets bind to middle click as well as being able to scroll through them with the wheel, but I think it's 5 and 4 for the droning that's really a reach.

I'm sure it'll come, it sort of feels like when I was first learning guitar and I had to look at the strings and dots to see where I was on the frets. Equally as frustrating too. Will I overcome it? Who fucking knows. The next step is to carry on with the learning stuff and then go into Terrorist Hunt before getting my big boy britches on and jumping in PvP.

Tell you what though. Sound design and destruction? Fucking spot on.

• 3 months later...

Played some of this last night with @Blakey and another friend. Had a blast. I am pretty terrible at it but managed to scalp a few kills.

I honestly can't believe this wasn't huge on the forum. Just 2 pages and most of it is Tom talking to himself. I don't know whether that's a sign we're not interested in PvP as a forum or maybe something else? Crying shame though, it's one of the standouts from this generation.