passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege

DisturbedSwan

Won't be giving any lengthy impressions here as I pretty much covered the game in my R6:Siege Beta thread a few months back (can be found here: http://www.mfgamers.com/index.php?showtopic=40972&hl=%2Brainbow+%2Bsiege) and doesn't differ too much from the beta, largely I'm just going to address the improvement Ubi have made since the beta and comment on the other maps and modes that weren't in that.

So yeah, everything is largely the same as the beta, the graphics are much better, the maps are more detailed (for the most part), they've changed the operator logo's (for some reason) to slightly more colourful ones and added a couple of Russian ones I don't remember from the Beta. In addition to this there's of course a lot more game modes in Terrorist Hunt and Multiplayer sections to play, and the addition of 'Situations'.

Situations is basically a slightly lengthy, non-mandatory single-player tutorial, it's 10 missions that put you in various different situations, can be played on Medium, Hard or Realistic, you get a star each for getting 4 headshots, completing the mission with more than 50% health and killing 2 enemies whilst aiming, for each star you get 200 renown (R6:Siege XP) which you can use to buy new operators to use or upgrade/customise weapons.

Terrorist Hunt, which was in the Beta, but only had the 'classic' game-type where you go in and have to clear a map of enemies on whichever difficulty you choose, there's quite a few more game modes in this such as attacking or defending a bomb or area, rescuing a hostage from a group of Terrorists etc. Incredibly similar to what was in the Beta, but the different game modes add a bit more variation this time around, it's good fun, and a decent distraction every now and again, but not as good as the PvP, the difficulties seem a bit strange as well, Realistic is almost impossible and I've failed every time I've tried, but Hard is too easy and I've succeeded every-time I've tried, so there needs to be a better balance there in my opinion.

Multiplayer, now categorised as 'Casual' and 'Ranked' play-types, with Casual being the only option open until you reach Level 20, it also seems to me that the only game mode you can play is variations on TDM (defending/attacking a bomb, defending/securing an area) as in the Beta, there's not been any hostage rescue or anything for me so far, and you have to reach Level 20 to unlock these additional game modes it seems, which is slightly annoying, but the game is so good you probably won't care.

A huge amount of maps now in MP, 11 in total and I've probably encountered 8 or 9, 3 of which were in the Beta (House, Embassy and Hereford), all of the maps I've played are absolutely phenomenal, a lot tell a story without actually telling a story (if you get what I mean), some of which make me think there was meant to be a story-mode at one point or another but it got pulled, because of the stories the maps tell by themselves alone.

Thankfully, Ubi have managed to address the server issues that dogged my time in the Beta a few months back, haven't had any disconnections, and haven't had to wait a long time for the matchmaking to get me into a game thankfully, have had a bit of lag and a few glitches though but only in a couple of games.

Just as tense, just as tactical, thoughtful and filled with suspense as the Beta, and probably the best Multiplayer game of the last 5 years, the moments in it when you outsmart an opponent through quick-thinking and planning are incredible and fill you with a sense of fulfilment and satisfaction that barely any other MP game can give, it's a shame that no one will play it.

Highly recommended, if you are even in the slightest bit interested in squad-based tactical shooters, then get it.

Yeah that's fair enough, I was going to get it on PS4 myself, but I realised that no one was getting it so I'd have to play with randoms anyway so saved some cash and got the PC version as an early Xmas present for £20.

It's just incredible though, this game man, this game, this video sums up my thoughts far more succinctly than I ever could (although I haven't noticed any clipping problems I must say):

Got a story to tell from this morning's session as well, was doing the Bank map, TDM - Hostage rescue (seems I was wrong about not being able to play Hostage rescue etc. on the Casual game-mode in MP), pretty even game, drawn 2-2, goes to an Overtime Match-Point game (whoever wins wins the match 3-2), we're attacking and the other team are defending.

Everything pretty even, but we're on top, take out quite a few of their guys, they take out a few of ours. Eventually it's just me (with 1% of health remaining as I almost got killed) and 1 other guy, 2 of us v 1 of them, at this point there's about a 1 minute 30 left in the game (there's a 3 minute time limit to rescue the hostage or take the other team out, or the opposing team wins), we didn't see where the Hostage was located in the planning stage (using the drones) but are guessing it's upstairs as that's where all the guys we killed were.

So, there's 1 minute 30 left, we're frantically looking around in every room, the other guy is using breach charges to blow up walls to try to get the remaining guy to emerge so we can shoot him, having no luck at all, time is running out and it looks like the opposition team are going to win. I leave the other guy to it, run around (we were running out of time so had to run) to another barricade on the left side, whilst he's in the middle section of the landing, had absolute no idea where the hostage was or the 1 remaining guy, at this point the opposition team got on team chat and were like 'LOL they can't find the hostages' 'hahaha idiots can't find the hostage LMAO' and shit like that.

So anyway, I run around to the left, see this half-broken barricade, crouch down and go defensive with my shield up (about 25 seconds left at this point) and approach the barricade, see another barricade behind this and then I see movement, fire off a load of rounds but only manage to wound him, he doesn't hit me.

Take the shield off, get aiming with my Pistol through the first barricade and wait for him to pop-up, this is a straight up duel almost at this point with the whole match hanging in the balance, I'm waiting there for what feels like hours aiming with my pistol, I see his head pop up, get two rounds off, headshot and kill him and win the match, fuck me it was absolutely INCREDIBLE.

Just wrote in the chat box after 'who's laughing now?!?!? Hahahaha' they must've been so pissed off, this game man, this game.

Played a bit more of this over the weekend and through the week, no idea what kind of hours I've got upto with it, but been playing on average 2 hours a night since it came out on the 1st Dec, so probably about 12 hours as I didn't play it on Saturday.

Mistakenly tried to play it tipsy/drunk on Friday night and it didn't go too well at all :lol:, in the very first game I accidently shot a guy trying to shoot a drone, then got booted out of the game, then the next time around another random guy shot me in the head for pulling one of his barricades down :lol: then I accidently killed someone else through friendly fire later on in the session, so, yeah, this may not be the best game to play tipsy/drunk as your reactions are not the best and I didn't take it as seriously as I usually do.

Never seen to be put on a good team either, the last 15 games or so I've played in MP I've only won maybe 3-4 of them, I go entire evenings it seems with hardly any wins at all, had a few close-calls today, and a couple of heartbreaking defeats, but yeah, only the 1 win, and hardly any the rest of the days either, don't know how I keep getting put on the worse teams, I'm not too bad at the game myself despite being at a disadvantage by using a controller on PC.

Won't be putting up too many other updates as no one is really interested, but yeah, still loving it, upto Level 13 now I think, 7 Levels away from unlocking the Ranked mode in MP.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting very tempted to picking this up now. It's looks like my kinda shooter. But I would rather play with you guys. Just wondering if anyone else was close to picking it up? *looks at the Battlefield crew*

It is an incredible game, Duck.

Multiplayer games rarely hold my interest for long but this has some serious staying power and I'm still playing it regularly now.

It is just an incredible game, and the best multiplayer game of the last 5 years as I've said before in my previous posts. Its tense, compelling, addictive and varied. No game ever feels the same, every round can go down in a completely different way, its just a phenomenal piece of work.

I've been playing with randoms on PC from the start as there has been little to no interest on here, and it's still incredible on your own, but with a team of guys all knowing what they're doing, talking tactics over the mic etc. It'd be ridiculously incredible.

As for The Division, I hope we can get a squad together for that too, but seeing how The Division news thread is deader than a dodo I highly doubt it unfortunately :(

I must mention though that the game has been suffering a multitude of server problems in the Ranked MP playlist over the Xmas period and I've found myself waiting ages to get in a game, the game failing to put me into the game when I connect and having to alt tab out and restart and when I have managed to get in and complete a game there's a bug that stops the game from finishing.

So I'd have to recommend waiting until well after the Xmas period before picking it up.

Yeah that's fair enough, I've seen a lot of people say that, but I do think there's enough 'game' there to warrant a full £40 purchase myself, this game is pretty much tailor-made for you, Sly, you would absolutely lap this shit up and get far more hours out of it than something like JC3, I promise you ;)

If I got it it'd be to play the Terrorist Hunt game mode more than anything, but only if I could field a full squad of folks for it. It's going to struggle to get a look in compared to EDF 4.1 though which is kind of the same sort of horde mode multiplayer gameplay dialed up to 11.

Not sure I'd want to put much time into the PvP, think I'd rather boot up Battlefield 4 for that. Despite playing that game pretty heavily I've still got a lot of content to get from it, especially as they've added the new free maps to it since I last played.

Honestly the PvP is the meat of the game, Terrorist Hunt is in there and it's good, but PvP is what makes the game so special, if you ever get it, I'd implore you to give it a good go, I think you would absolutely love it, it's completely different to Battlefield.

Off topic I know. But out of interest Sly, how many games did you buy in 2015? 3? EDF, JC3 and MH4?

It's the PVP thats makes me want to pick this up. I don't think all the destruction stuff will be as fun against AI.

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot praise this game enough, it is really good. Underrated and ignored sleeper hit. Played through all eleven Situations and now I can't stop playing the multiplayer. Someone on rllmuk said it feels like an evolution of Call of Duty 4, and I see exactly what he means. Modern environment, close quarters, protecting/attacking, but with so many new tactics that no two games are ever the same. Sound design is superb.

That's not me on voice comms, btw.