passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Why didnt Rise of the Tomb Raider sell well

Sambob

is it though? It just got rinsed, and the "first" game didn't exactly fly off shelves. It eventually sold well, but it took time and discounts. There's a certain amount of name recognition, but last gens (well, the like of Anniversary) Tomb Raider games didn't sell, and neither has this one.

Granted, it's slightly different audiences, though less so than that Starcraft add on, but I reckon had Persona 5 launched the same week it would have outsold Tomb Raider. We'll never know, and I'm not entirely sure what my point is because I don't think Persona is a bigger name, just that I think Tomb Raider is a long way from what it was in the 32 bit era

Not sure I entirely agree with Tomb Raider not having pulling power. 2013's release was the best it has done in ages, probably since Tomb Raider 2, or at least it's the best it has done under Crystal Dynamics.

But the launch day sales of the reboot had Square-Enix worried at first. (They'd kill for 3.4m now.)

http://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

I liked the reboot. And I'll pick up Rise for sure but to me TR isn't a system seller that Xbox wants it to be.

That's a very, very different market though. I don't disagree that Tomb raider doesn't have the pulling power it used to do, but Starcraft DLC is selling to a different audience

I agree that SC and Blizzard games have their own bubbles. But I would of thought Fallout might have done some damage to it sales wise. Considering how stale the current SC scene is at the moment is too.

A question. Has there been many times where there's 2+ games out the same day that you've really wanted and bought both? What were they? Just out of interest.

Edit: Beeeeeeeen! :lol:

I remember reading somewhere that pre-orders for Blops 3 were tracking higher at one point on One than PS4 (did we get a breakdown of sales numbers in the end?) so it's not like they can't sell high numbers of certain games on the system.

Well that didn't translate to sales, in the UK at least:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-09-call-of-duty-black-ops-3-tops-uk-chart-91-percent-of-physical-sales-on-ps4-xbox-one#comments

48% sold on the PS4, 43% Xbone. Not sure about North America or the rest of Europe though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about time that 'Exclusives' on consoles dissappear. I could be wrong but I just can't believe that whatever Sony or Microsoft pay developers to release that game on a specific console outweighs potential sales overall. Surely they're losing money in the long run. Gamers lose out on great games because they can't afford both systems and developers and publishers lose part of the market.

I don't mind console exclusives. I know it's not ideal, but every now and then there's some that wouldn't make sense on other platforms. The Wii had a lot of good exclusives (for the first few years) that wouldn't work elsewhere, same with the WiiU on occasion. Granted I get why people weren't happy about Bayonetta switching platforms, but that's one that wouldn't have happened without Nintendo stepping in.

I've been playing Disgaea 5 recently, 3DS aside, if it had the power, what other platform would that series fit on if not Sony?

The problem are when the audience for a title is spread, or when the audience isn't on the exclusive platform, the former being the case with Tomb Raider, and when it seems like a bad thing for consumers.

basically, I don't mind the consoles having their own feel, and exclusives are a part of that

I think I am more pro single console but I don't mind exclusives most of the the time as you do buy a console these days because you want certain kinds of games. I think the problem with Rise of the Tomb Raider as it probably is the most cynical example it.

Square Enix are doing the same with the Final Fantasy VII remake but I think it is a better home and won't fail as badly, though it is still a cynical strategy, and even in that case I'm willing to bet that comes to XO a year after PS4. Heck, I'd even have a cheeky little bet it comes to NX too, depending on what that actually turns out to be knowing how Nintendo and Square Enix have been getting kinda buddy-buddy lately over the NX.

Yeah, I don't mind console exclusives either, but I wouldn't want just 1 platform to play games on personally, the more competition the harder the competing companies work to get your cash and the better they make each other, competition is a huge positive in my opinion, just look how Microsoft have improved considerably since the abysmal announcement and launch by doubling down and following Sony's lead of 'games, games, games' competition is a huge plus.

If consoles went away eventually there's always going to be one platform that everyone already makes games for, and that's PC ;) most console exclusives come to PC eventually anyway.

I think when people talk about a one console industry they're not strictly talking about PC gaming. I'd say it's more like what the Steam Machines are, except in a workable industry.

And there still would be competition in the market with the different publishers and developers.

I maintain that an equal footing isn't as good as people think. You need someone fighting for their life, or at least it can be a good thing. Sega released the Dreamcast, Nintendo the Wii (no jokes please) and Sony 'free' games with ps+. When people are doing well we get a £500 console and an always on drm spy machine