Sign in to follow this  
DifferentClass

Fallout 4

I was telling Simon last night as he streamed - before he even started playing this I kept seeing Fallout 3 on GamePass, so I’ve downloaded it and will give it another try.

I’m really not expecting it to run or look great, especially as watching 4 on the PC looks alright and this will be the 360 version of 3.

But I’m determined to give it a proper shot so will document my adventures once Tomb Raider is finished.

I cleared up the drive in movie place and started building there. I built a bell and sure enough people come running when you ring it. I set someone on food production and the other person, well, they're nowhere to be seen. It says there's 2 occupants of that camp but the other person is invisible or whatever. I don't know.

I did have a look at the perk needed to set all the camps up with trade routes and I'm going to need more level ups before that happens. I need to put something like 6 points worth of level ups into charisma before I can select the trade route thing, so that's me fucked for a while.

Sort of digging the base building now. It controls terribly, but it's satisfying in it's own way. It'd be much better if the camera was completely free controlled so you could place stuff with a bit more accuracy. Having it attached to your in game avatar doesn't do it any favours.

Played a little bit this evening. Ended up with an invitation to join the Brotherhood of Steel but I left them hanging as I don't really know if they're the good guys.

I did a little bit of wandering about. I noticed I could get on top of the power plant without going through it so took a look up there and found a bobblehead. It wasn't one of the cool ones that boosts SPECIAL. I've only found one and that was in the room with Preston when you meet the first lot of settlers. I actually looked all over for a place to show off my bobbleheads but I can't find one. I figure there's a place in Diamond City, I forget the name of the place but it looks like a home I earn.

I also ended up in the Diamond City and met PIper. I learned of Valentine as well but I had to leave it there. I want to go do the Castle mission so I can retrieve Preston but I'm a bit worried about going further down than I am now, not that it's been hard it's just I'd rather stick north of Diamond City finding and checking stuff off before I go further on. Got to get that sweet loot and build shit up.

17 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Sort of digging the base building now. It controls terribly, but it's satisfying in it's own way. It'd be much better if the camera was completely free controlled so you could place stuff with a bit more accuracy. Having it attached to your in game avatar doesn't do it any favours.

I like the player camera as it makes it feel more immersive, like you're actually building rather than pulling you out the game. But yes it can be fiddly as hell. I don't think the game ever tells you this but if you hold down the select button (X on PS4) you can move the object forwards/back and left/right without moving yourself. That lets you place stuff further away and is occasionally useful.

The later levels of the Local Leader perk are worth getting too as they let you build stores and workbenches.

I'll try holding E to see if that will allow me to move stuff about before letting go to finalise it.

There's a few more perks I want to get but after that I think I'll hit up Charisma and then after that go right to Endurance to the end so I can grab those sunlight perks. I need to find the bobblehead for that, otherwise it's a wasted level up.

I don't know if you noticed, but if you put weapons in the red chest the settlers will equip them. I wondered why they went from having a standard pistol to a laser rifle.

Speaking of laser rifles, that one Danse gives you is mad. I have so much ammo for it as well, it's become my go to. I do wish there was an easier way to compare weapons I know there's a + on stuff but sometimes that doesn't equate to being better. Having a stats sheet where they're side by side would be nice.

Did a bit of a look around Diamond City picking up various quests.I headed out to go find Valentine and stumbled across the loser that got beat up in the bar. I think that barman is going to kill him and make away with the whole payday. I'll find out later I guess.

I ended up trekking back to the alley settlement because I was over encumbered and Codsworth couldn't hold anymore. Decided to clean all the junk up and start building. Went to build a beacon to call people in and didn't have enough shit. I stashed a load of gear there, I just hope it's still there when I go back. Hopefully I have enough stuff once I've sorted this Valentine mission out.

That alley is a lot bigger than I first thought it was too, it sort of doglegs around. I think it should be easy to defend, but then again I'm not really certain how the attacks on settlements work. Real world thinking dictates that if I shut off either end of the alley off it should be safe, but enemies could spawn inside those walls because videogame logic isn't the same as real world logic.Might be a case of putting pillars up with turrets on top. I think that might be for the best in every settlement, just have turrets all over.

I left it as I was just going to enter Vault 114. I wonder what misery will greet my inside there, there's usually some horrific story as the to vaults purpose.

Finished up Vault 114. Had a good old chuckle at what it was set up for, made it a bit of a joy to wander around seeing what miserable conditions the elite were going to end up dealing with. Rescued Nick and all that stuff. I've got to say I'm not really won over by him. He weirds me out if I'm being honest.

Ended up walking in on the drug heist. Just lobbed a grenade into the middle of them and had done with it. Ended up having a conversation where things went south and I lost where the drug lab was. Didn't matter, when I looted her body I got sent across the map into a puzzle area. I had to tell Codsworth to sit the fuck down for a bit because he kept fucking it up. I got a few really nice things from this. Firstly I got a suit that can eat RADS. That's going to come in handy. I also got a ridiculous legendary shotgun that has all the ammo in it. It never reloads, it's completely going to break the close combat as long as I can keep it fed. I had a I also got legendary laser pistol but that wasn't as good as the other laser pistol I had with mods. On my way back to camp I got another bit of legendary gear drop from a raider, a chest piece, It's not very good, although I'm going to see if I can retool it to be better. If not it's no loss. It looks like legendary stuff it going to start dropping a bit more now I'm a little bit into it.

I've put 24 hours into this and I barely feel like I've scratched it.

Been doing the Ada sidequest. I do not enjoy being jumped by those robot hit squads, they're so hard hitting. especially when they're rolling with the humans. I was sort of hoping they'd stop after the quest was over, but it appears you can build your own companions and you sort of need the parts that these hit squads drop so I doubt I've seen the end. If anything it's only just started.

Got plenty sidetracked while I was adventuring. Went back to Hangmans only to find it in the process of being attacked by these fucking robots, I don't know if the robots were spawning for me and they just went to the nearest place they could get into a ruck or what. I did witness a "Your settlement is under attack" so went and dealt with that. The same robots! There was a legendary I killed there but I couldn't find it's body. The next time that happens I'm pressing R on the body as soon as it hits the floor and having a good look at what it dropped.

I'm sort of getting to the point where there's not as many skills I want to take and also I'm level gated out of taking the ones I do want. I think buffing the SPECIALs might be in order soon. It's going to take 4 level ups before I can take the perk for the trading between settlements though. That's going to sting.

EDIT: Also this happened. It got stuck in the stairs after I knocked it over with a grenade blast and it was freaking out. IT's a bit dark but you should be able to make out what's going on.

20190318055944_1.jpg

Classic Bethesda bug right there!

On settlements being attacked, I /think/ that each settlement has set spawn points just outside, so enemies will always attack from certain directions, but I think I also read that the AI needs to be able to path them into the settlement, and if you prevent this from happening (i.e. have no doors/gates at all) then they can start spawning inside.

Certainly with Hangman's Alley it was enough for me to put turrets at the two entrances and enemies would just throw themselves against them. If your defence stat is high enough attacks happen very rarely anyway (you definitely want defences totaling more than the settlement's combined food and water yields).

I think I'm going to have to start picking up all the desk fans, telephones and hotplates up whenever I see them. I didn't realise at the time but you get 3 crafting ingredients in those things. There's still other things I need to check out to make sure I'm not leaving junk that could help me out in the long run. 

I could do with working out which items yield the most from the carry weight. It's too easy to get over encumbered as it is so figuring out what can be picked up and what needs leaving would be helpful. 

Yeah there is a lot of learning of what is and isn't worth picking up. I'm still going through it in 76 at the moment.

The scrapper perk is super useful for gathering materials as it gives you more and extra materials from scrapping things.

It's better than 4 imo :P Most interesting setting of all the Bethesda games with a massive and varied map, and a ton of variety in enemies too. Mostly though I just love being able to build camps almost wherever I want - settlement building was by far my most loved part of 4.

Yeah it doesn't have many NPCs and the quests are all linear, but that was the weakest part of 4 by far and New Vegas has all the other games beat hands down. NV is still my go-to as a proper RPG with interesting and branching quest lines (and the only game I felt it worth having companions in), but I'm enjoying 76 plenty as an exploration game. It still has all the environmental storytelling that Bethesda are actually good at, without the badly done quest writing that upset me in Fallout 4!

One of my mates slightly cheated the game when it comes to settlements. His first one (I think it was before he bothered with settlers etc) was placed on top of a petrol station with a ramp up to it. He then removed the ramp and just used to fast travel in instead.

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I think I'm going to have to start picking up all the desk fans, telephones and hotplates up whenever I see them. I didn't realise at the time but you get 3 crafting ingredients in those things. There's still other things I need to check out to make sure I'm not leaving junk that could help me out in the long run. 

I could do with working out which items yield the most from the carry weight. It's too easy to get over encumbered as it is so figuring out what can be picked up and what needs leaving would be helpful. 

You can never have too many screws or too much adhesive - maybe there's a lesson for life in there too.....

I went on on a big collectathon because this surplus robot I need for the last radar ain't gonna build itself. It's kind of funny strolling around the starting areas now, when you get jumped the fights are over in 1 or 2 shots. Feel the power!

Set up a base in Red Rocket, I couldn't get the steps to go on the roof but once I've collected enough shit I'm going to try and level that area out so it's more or less flat. After that I'll put stairs up to the roof and then fill the fucker with turrets.

On my jaunt I ended up walking through the railway station where the train is nearly derailed. I could hear shooting in the distance so went to go see what it was and Super Mutants were attacking my settlement at the drive in. My settlers had it though, I've not really looked after that area that much but there's 10 people there now. Tried to set them up the best I can with what I had. Hopefully it's enough.

I was thinking, that area would make a good market and hub for trading between settlements. Can food grown at other settlements be traded across because there's not really a lot of space to grow stuff there from what I can see. Maybe I just need to organise a bit better but I can't see a big settlement springing from that unless food can be brought in because it's 90% concrete.

I had my first real game breaker in the last session as well. There was an area where I had to dive into water to turn off valves that were emitting air. The area surrounding the water was kind of fucked and the 3rd valve wasn't bubbling on the surface so I had to swim around in the RADS for ages looking at it. Shocking that something like that got through testing. Not only was it a massive eyesore it was a right old fuck about racing against time before I succumbed to being irradiated to death. Hopefully it never gets like this again.

I waltzed through ADA's quest tonight, looking in every nook and cranny and picking the place clean of all the stuff I needed. Got right up to the culmination and I just cannot beat him, It's insane. I don't even think I'd have a chance in power armour, but going in there with normal armour is just suicide. I can survive until the turrets roll up and then I get actually fucked so hard. Doesn't even matter if I try to drug addle my way through it, nothing really works. It's going to be a case of coming back with power armour in a few levels. and just missile and mine the fuck out of everything. I don't know if I can sub ADA out for Danse but if I can that might make it doable too.

Coasting about the over world is relatively easy now. I have lots of ammo for killing trash, I think I'm going to piss about doing missions until I'm levelled up more and then go have another stab at that mission. There's plenty to be going at. I'll just keep plugging at the missions that show up and keep reinforcing bases the best I can so they won't get attacked. Carry on arming my crews to the teeth and using whatever is left over to build safe havens for them