Sign in to follow this  
DifferentClass

Fallout 4

Finished the Nuka-World dlc today, it improved but the dlc for this game is way below Fallout 3's standard in my opinion.

So that's end game, finished at level 73... maybe one day I'll go back through and actually give the crafting some attention.

Good time to start this when thinking about changing jobs, making a big push on learning German and a generally full life.

I am absorbed... I am also struggling now, it was going well for the first few hours and now, just after diamond city I found a medical centre, used all my stimpaks to get inside and then got destroyed by robots, lol.

I guess I will go back to an earlier save and circumvent it until later!! Shame as I found a nice energy weapon too :S

Great game so far. I honestly can't tell much difference between how I feel about this vs Fallout 3. Both grabbed me for a while and I suspect that will the former I will also stop and move on to something else before I finish the main story. 

I have mainly just been doing side quests so far, fat lot of good that did... :)

I am playing this now. It's OK? I don't think it's amazing by any standards, but it is what it is. It'll probably get better the more time I invest.

The difficulty is off the fucking chain right now, I got a mission to go sort some raiders out so some woman would join the Minutemen and  on the way I was following some railway tracks. I got jumped by about 10 ghouls and really struggled to deal with them. I basically had no ammo to deal with the raiders, I'm just constantly hand to mouth with ammo. I was watching a friend play ages ago and he had so much ammo he stopped picking it up. I wish I was just comfortable right now. I did get a lucky stash of .38 which is basically sustaining me.

It doesn't really help I'm missing a lot more shots than I should be, but I have to get used to mouse and keys so so be it.

I left it back at the base where you can build. I did a little bit of building but fuck me if they've not slapped that son of a bitch together. I wish when you placed beds or whatever against a wall they'd just snap placement. I might have to go diving into Nexus mods to see if I can iron it out. It's shit how it is, but I can see that if you get into it it could be quite absorbing.

I don't really understand the SPECIAL this time either. Can you add points of top of the original allocation outside of reading  magazines and collecting bobbleheads? It feels a bit weird, I'm not sure I like that.

I do like that they imported the Morrowind state of mind for armour though. I don't think it's as in depth as Morrowind was, but they've hit a nice middle ground where you can build up a complete set of variable armour for each limb and body part.

I've seen zero bugs so far. I've seen some dubious AI, the dog decided to walk off the top of a catwalk and did a comical whine when he dropped 30ft and I've seen a bit of eyebrow raising ragdolling, but aside from that it's been solid. The wonders of waiting a few years and letting them patch the son of a bitch. I can deal with engine quirks, just keep it at that and I'll give it a pass.

I'll probably stream bits of this. Skyrim seemed to do alright and I could see this being fine as well.

You might find that VATS is better for conserving ammo (albeit not great for fighting 10 ghouls at once since your APs will be low).

That's another thing I'm not so sure about, the alteration to VATS so it's just running in slo-mo feels a bit off. I prefer it when it completely pauses the action and gives you a moment to plan out where you're going to pop off shots. 

If you're keyboard & mouse then I'll assume  you're on the PC - there'll be a mod out there to give you back the classic pause time VATS I'm sure.

No doubt. First time through I'd like to try and keep it vanilla. After that it's a case of installing as many mods as you can make the game deal with before it inevitably breaks. 

6 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

It doesn't really help I'm missing a lot more shots than I should be, but I have to get used to mouse and keys so so be it.

Why not just play with a Controller? You make no fucking sense Minxos.

7 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I got a mission to go sort some raiders out so some woman would join the Minutemen

Welcome to Fallout 4, enjoy your next 100 hours

I'll probably use those missions to collect materials then, whenever needed. I understand that the things work like Resident Evil chests so you can dump in the nearest one and every settlement gets the benefit.

2 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I'll probably use those missions to collect materials then, whenever needed. I understand that the things work like Resident Evil chests so you can dump in the nearest one and every settlement gets the benefit.

Not sure if that's from the off, or only once you've linked the settlements through supply routes ?

No idea.

The base building could be better explained. I built some defences that need to be manned but I have no idea how to get people on them. Similarly I built a vegetable patch and It's been tended, but I don't know how I did it.

You allocate people by selecting them, then selecting the area where you want them to go (think you do this whilst still in crafting menu? but not too sure as it's been quite a while since I've played F4,).

I'll try that tonight. 

I'm really surprised by this game. The negativity towards it dampened my expectations, I've had several people warn me off it and I'm not entirely sure why. 

I mean there's parts that are clearly steps backwards. There's parts of it that I'll no doubt go into as I play it more that I think are out of place. For the most I think it's been enjoyable enough and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it. 

Yeah you need to link settlements with supply routes, once you've done that they will all share an inventory. It's possible for supply routes to break if the person assigned to them dies, but it's pretty unlikely! I just gave them all shotguns and mining helmets (I liked them all being visible from their light).

In crafting mode when you highlight a resident it will show you a symbol to what they are assigned. It will also highlight the exact resource that are assigned to, but that requires them being in view, obviously. You select them then the resource you want to assign/unassign.

It can be fiddly, but if you build a bell that can help. When you ring it all the settlers will stop what they are doing and gather at the bell, so you can more easily reassign them.

I absolutely loved the settlement building, best part of 4 by far!

Now that's helpful. Thanks.

I pretty much flattened all the bad bits of the original settlement. I got another settlement south of where the robots are gardening. I cleared out a little alleyway that I had no idea was a base originally until I discovered the workbench while I was looting. Finally I did what I think was a huge car park with a diner in it, the only problem is it has a big puddle of radioactive water right in the middle and I'm not entirely sure what I should do about that, other than maybe blast some shipping containers over it to stop anything getting so close they end up getting dosed with RADS. It's near a diner that has a woman running it with a drug addicted son.

Preston fucked off to do some castle mission that will open a Minutemen broadcast.

Talking of Preston, I've seen the dude thousands of times because of memes. It wasn't until I started playing the game I realised he was black. I always assumed he was covered in grime and soot from shooting the joint up. I like him though, he was a bit dead pan and serious when I started but the conversations and stuff we've had recently have showed a lighter side. I'm looking forwards to spending more time with him.

He's not on the level of Fawkes, Cass or Boone though. Those were my favourite followers from previous games. If I find another follower with a massive chip on his shoulder like Boone I will never switch them out. I liked that he could kill shit before it even rendered in my game as well. 

Oh you just wait until the 100th time that Preston says "Hey a settlement needs your help" or something like that, it gets pretty tiresome .

I am thoroughly enjoying this. Come across my first super mutants and had a bit of a rough time with them, then blew myself up by walking over a trip wire like a complete idiot. Had a light bit of puzzling solving a waterworks puzzle out while picking the place clean. Then I ended the night by having a massive scrap with feral ghouls outside a police station. I am semi comfortable on ammo and I'm doing OK for heals. I think maybe aside from he odd bump the road is going to be a lot smoother.

The crafting and stuff feels so much smoother and thought out. Generally I look at a lot of these systems in Bethesda games and they are wank, they don't feel like they serve a good enough function. I don't feel like that here, they've given everything a worth, even if it's just to be broken down for base building you might consider doing.

I played for a couple of hours tonight and it felt like I was playing for about 30 minutes. It vanished so quickly.

Also thanks to @Hendo for dropping by and having a chat. I really appreciate you taking time to come watch the streams when/if they happen.

21 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I pretty much flattened all the bad bits of the original settlement. I got another settlement south of where the robots are gardening. I cleared out a little alleyway that I had no idea was a base originally until I discovered the workbench while I was looting. Finally I did what I think was a huge car park with a diner in it, the only problem is it has a big puddle of radioactive water right in the middle and I'm not entirely sure what I should do about that, other than maybe blast some shipping containers over it to stop anything getting so close they end up getting dosed with RADS. It's near a diner that has a woman running it with a drug addicted son.

The radioactive pool in Starlight Drive-In can be made nonradioactive by scrapping the radioactive barrels that are in it. Just enter the crafting mode and hover over the barrels and you'll be able to scrap them. I had a water purifier sat in it with a few shacks surrounding it, but the main thing I did with the settlement was build up against the back of the giant screen:

zU5OyFo.jpg

Also Hangman's Alley was one of my favourite settlements, I managed to max it out with 20 settlers despite being so small by building up along the walls. It was super fiddly but I was proud:

YXnYCTo.jpg

PwbJpUE.jpg