Sign in to follow this  
DifferentClass

Fallout 4

I had actually forgotten about that. DC and Nag can sit together in the rage trade corner!

The stuff like it being fallout 3.5 and bugs i thought would really annoy me but they dont bother me too much to be honest, however im still a bit angry about the reviews, its not a 9 guys, stop being silly. This game, more than any other is a game to read the review and ignore the score.

There's no way I'll trade this in, I just need to get my head around certain things in this and I'll be fine... I'm always the same with games that give a little too much freedom... Bewildered.

Saw my first Super Mutants last night too... Yeah, I legged it. :lol:

So is there a point in following the story up until a certain point or does it make no difference to do what you want when you want?

I had actually forgotten about that. DC and Nag can sit together in the rage trade corner!

The stuff like it being fallout 3.5 and bugs i thought would really annoy me but they dont bother me too much to be honest, however im still a bit angry about the reviews, its not a 9 guys, stop being silly. This game, more than any other is a game to read the review and ignore the score.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

I don't know who is actually giving these 9s to it. The video game people on my Twitter aren't even talking about it that much, or are just starting to play it themselves. It's the usual early review lot who get excited over everything. That's my take.

So is there a point in following the story up until a certain point or does it make no difference to do what you want when you want?

I never bothered playing the storyline missions in the Elder Scrolls games, but found it really difficult to go off and do my own thing in Fallout 3 until I'd done a few of Moira's missions in Megaton. Everything was too strong for me.

I don't know if this one will be the same, but it might be worth following the storyline for an hour or two.

I've just been wondering around so far, did a mission for the minutemen that resulted in picking up a radio broadcast which opened another mission...

I reckon tonight if I'm on I'll concentrate on getting to Diamond City, that sounds like the first big settlement I should be hitting.

I did that minutemen thing, but i randomly found a fusion core and power armour suit seperately so dont know if i can just use that

Last night the game also pulled the classic stunt of ncp's firing guns that apparently have no ammunition... saw a Raider unleashing Fat Man missiles at Ghouls, he must have fired at least four or five, I take him out check his corpse and gun and they're empty... I then die and do it again without him firing a single shot... still empty...

That shits just annoying.

Perfectly fine when it was done in The Last of Us though. Just added to the gameplay there. /s

Utter bollocks, it may not be a 9 in your opinion, but to others it is most definitely worthy of a 9 and possibly even a 10, that's just opinions for you, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion to have.

It sounds like you don't want to take any of the positive reviews to heart and only take the negative ones seriously, some people just want reviews to reinforce and validate their own views on a game I guess, I've probably been guilty of this myself in the past, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's just human nature to an extent, but you can't just disregard the huge majority of reviewers who love the game because it doesn't fit with your opinion.

I dunno, Blakey. You did see the review back when GTAIV came out? They were absolute nonsense. I remember a lot of them (especially g™) basically went on about the history, threw a bit of philosophy in there and then slapped a big number on the end because why the fuck not? It's GTAIV and fuck the flaws.

Although I've not played Fallout 4 the bits that I've read don't correlate with the views of people I trust more than reviews, considering it's DC as well who's opinion I respect (even though sometimes he's wrong :P). The grass isn't as green as the reviewers are making out, the majority here are picking out flaws and bits they don't like which affect their enjoyment, something which the reviews failed to pick up on.

I was actually going to write a post, then realised I was completely stumped for words... So I didn't.:lol:

All I'm caught thinking at the moment (and this is subject to change), this was exceptional back in 2008... things have moved on and it's not quite as impressive nowadays.

No way in a million years its a 9, 10 just makes me think you are either the games mum or maker or trolling hard. 10 means perfection, as in 10 out of 10 no higher score exists. This game has launched with bugs in it. Its possible to get into a situation where no outcome other than death is achievable and the game has autosaved meaning your game is broken/over and you have to reload a manually taken save. Ive seen bugs where somebody is holding a gun and desynch caused the gun to melee kill themselves, reviews mention a conversation ending but being stuck in the conversation window.

You are right that reviews are opinion based, and as such an opinion can widely vary but thats not the same as justification for a perfect score to be awarded to a game that, by 99% of development studio's standards would not have been released in its current format. The second problem is that regardless of bugs, the gameplay is also not perfect nor even exemplary. Its behind the curve in a lot of things that it does, and although you weigh up the good with the bad, and theres a lot of good that outshines the bad, to suggest this is as good as games get is very ludicrous.

I don't really want to caste myself as an authority on a game like Fallout 4 because it's not in my personal wheelhouse. The RPGs I grew up with were the Japanese ones and the only experience I have is occasionally dabbling in a couple of Elder Scrolls games and a Bioware series or two.

Maybe I liked Fallout 3 because it was the right time for me and the right game because it's far from a great game in a lot of ways.

I do think it's me. I should have realised I've not enjoyed big open world games in ages so I dunno why I thought this one would be different.

I'm bricking it now about Xenoblade X and Final Fantasy XV. If I don't like those I'm giving up on big RPGs. I'll stick with the 3DS.

10 means perfection

Disagree with that, it means what the publication/site/people who defined the scale say it means. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but meh.

GTA IV was one of the games I had in mind when I made the remark in the other thread about launch day review scores on big budget, hyped AAA games being worthless. The same with games with this, where many issues aren't going become apparent until it's out and thousands of users are putting it through it's paces.

Not that I think reviews as checklists marking everything good and bad about a game are any good either, or that a few technical issues should necessarily influence a scrore unless they're really detrimental to the game.

At this stage, I'm not sure what point I was trying to make, but if I can keep typing for a couple of minutes more, it'll be time to go home.

10 means perfection

Disagree with that, it means what the publication/site/people who defined the scale say it means. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but meh.
Again, that's how it's being used in reality but only because its been bastardised and now unless a big studios game gets at least a 9 it's not seen as good. Its like shit on telly like xfactor constantly telling every act that they are the best ever until the next act comes on and is best ever. We are in the dragonball Z world of reviews with super duper shmooper saiyans, even a ten doesn't mean anything nowadays it's just a formality. As Sly said, the lowest this could have scored was an 8 and that would have been damning. The guy Ed posted from the Guardian, Rich Stanton, gave a review that was as close to simply factual as you will see nowadays and he was hounded for it, called out as being overly negative.

I guess I just can't agree with the 'all reviews are bollocks' point of view, Sly is right, that in hindsight, games like GTA IV were massively overrated, but that's just hindsight for you really, at the time the majority of people seemed to agree with the reviews as it was the first 'next-gen' GTA and were having a wail of a time, but since then people have been like 'wait, GTA IV was a bit shit wasn't it looking back' and that's just hindsight and being able to play better games, and better GTA games since.

I feel that way about many games, that the reviews are slightly inflated (MGSV, Bioshock:Infinite etc.) but the difference is I still respect the reviewers opinions, these sites can appear a bit faceless, commercial and facetious at times, but you've always got to remember it's just one guy/girl sitting down to play a game to completion, and once finished he gives his/her opinion in an article and a score, I don't really see what's wrong with that, I only use reviews as a guide, some games have been critically underrated and some critically overrated, it doesn't affect my time with the game, but merely acts as a guide and that's a-ok with me.

Ultimately, I think it's a bit silly disregarding 41 out of 45 critic reviews because they're positive about a game is all, but that's just me.

Anyhoo...all I could think about last night in bed and at work earlier today was playing this :lol: so played another 3 hours when I got in.

Incredibly engrossing, just got absolutely lost in the world which is what I love best about Bethesda's RPGs, just went off exploring, discovering new places, collecting everything I could and doing a few side quests I found along the way, after that I finally did the next story missions in Concord (which was epic) and called it a day.

Have to say though that it feels like something is missing compared to F3, don't really know what it is but the World just feels a bit more ordinary, it doesn't have the atmosphere of Skyrim and F3 just yet, and the places I've found not as enticing, but I'm very early in so I'm hoping this changes as the game goes on. Been quite disappointed with the side quests as well, only done 3 or 4 but all of them have been very straightforward and fetch-questy with none of the personality of some of the best side quests in F3 thus far, still early days though, can't wait to play some more.

I've no opinion on Fallout 4 because I haven't played it, but I disagree that evaluating the true quality of GTA IV or Bioshock Infinite has anything to do with hindsight. I was bored with GTA IV half way through and very fed up with it by the end. And I was never at any point overly impressed by Bioshock Infinite.

I agree with GTA IV, I wasn't enjoying it about half way through and had to force myself to finish it.

Bioshock Infinite I did see the flaws of the game after I finished it, I wrote a review at the time for another forum and gave it 8/10 despite not really enjoying it from half way through

but a couple of months after I looked back and realised it was a bit shit, I've started to feel a bit the same recently about MGSV as well looking back.