passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

I think I'm going to have to start picking up all the desk fans, telephones and hotplates up whenever I see them. I didn't realise at the time but you get 3 crafting ingredients in those things. There's still other things I need to check out to make sure I'm not leaving junk that could help me out in the long run. 

I could do with working out which items yield the most from the carry weight. It's too easy to get over encumbered as it is so figuring out what can be picked up and what needs leaving would be helpful. 

Yeah there is a lot of learning of what is and isn't worth picking up. I'm still going through it in 76 at the moment.

The scrapper perk is super useful for gathering materials as it gives you more and extra materials from scrapping things.

It's better than 4 imo :P Most interesting setting of all the Bethesda games with a massive and varied map, and a ton of variety in enemies too. Mostly though I just love being able to build camps almost wherever I want - settlement building was by far my most loved part of 4.

Yeah it doesn't have many NPCs and the quests are all linear, but that was the weakest part of 4 by far and New Vegas has all the other games beat hands down. NV is still my go-to as a proper RPG with interesting and branching quest lines (and the only game I felt it worth having companions in), but I'm enjoying 76 plenty as an exploration game. It still has all the environmental storytelling that Bethesda are actually good at, without the badly done quest writing that upset me in Fallout 4!

One of my mates slightly cheated the game when it comes to settlements. His first one (I think it was before he bothered with settlers etc) was placed on top of a petrol station with a ramp up to it. He then removed the ramp and just used to fast travel in instead.

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I think I'm going to have to start picking up all the desk fans, telephones and hotplates up whenever I see them. I didn't realise at the time but you get 3 crafting ingredients in those things. There's still other things I need to check out to make sure I'm not leaving junk that could help me out in the long run. 

I could do with working out which items yield the most from the carry weight. It's too easy to get over encumbered as it is so figuring out what can be picked up and what needs leaving would be helpful. 

You can never have too many screws or too much adhesive - maybe there's a lesson for life in there too.....

I went on on a big collectathon because this surplus robot I need for the last radar ain't gonna build itself. It's kind of funny strolling around the starting areas now, when you get jumped the fights are over in 1 or 2 shots. Feel the power!

Set up a base in Red Rocket, I couldn't get the steps to go on the roof but once I've collected enough shit I'm going to try and level that area out so it's more or less flat. After that I'll put stairs up to the roof and then fill the fucker with turrets.

On my jaunt I ended up walking through the railway station where the train is nearly derailed. I could hear shooting in the distance so went to go see what it was and Super Mutants were attacking my settlement at the drive in. My settlers had it though, I've not really looked after that area that much but there's 10 people there now. Tried to set them up the best I can with what I had. Hopefully it's enough.

I was thinking, that area would make a good market and hub for trading between settlements. Can food grown at other settlements be traded across because there's not really a lot of space to grow stuff there from what I can see. Maybe I just need to organise a bit better but I can't see a big settlement springing from that unless food can be brought in because it's 90% concrete.

I had my first real game breaker in the last session as well. There was an area where I had to dive into water to turn off valves that were emitting air. The area surrounding the water was kind of fucked and the 3rd valve wasn't bubbling on the surface so I had to swim around in the RADS for ages looking at it. Shocking that something like that got through testing. Not only was it a massive eyesore it was a right old fuck about racing against time before I succumbed to being irradiated to death. Hopefully it never gets like this again.

I waltzed through ADA's quest tonight, looking in every nook and cranny and picking the place clean of all the stuff I needed. Got right up to the culmination and I just cannot beat him, It's insane. I don't even think I'd have a chance in power armour, but going in there with normal armour is just suicide. I can survive until the turrets roll up and then I get actually fucked so hard. Doesn't even matter if I try to drug addle my way through it, nothing really works. It's going to be a case of coming back with power armour in a few levels. and just missile and mine the fuck out of everything. I don't know if I can sub ADA out for Danse but if I can that might make it doable too.

Coasting about the over world is relatively easy now. I have lots of ammo for killing trash, I think I'm going to piss about doing missions until I'm levelled up more and then go have another stab at that mission. There's plenty to be going at. I'll just keep plugging at the missions that show up and keep reinforcing bases the best I can so they won't get attacked. Carry on arming my crews to the teeth and using whatever is left over to build safe havens for them

On 19/03/2019 at 08:41, shinymcshine said:

IIRC then ADA was part of the Automatron DLC - so you might not be suited to do that until you've levelled up & got better kit.

Fucking Rodger that! It was dead easy up until the boss fight, it was at that point the game spread my arse like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

Played close to 5 hours tonight. Made a concerted effort to go between my settlements and make sure they're alright. Got the Strong companion and then went and help Preston sort the castle out. That area is a bit much for me right now.

I had to spend ages sorting out my  carrying capacity. It was at 250 but then I dropped a pocketed bit of armour that lowered me to 245. This was a major pain in the arse.and I had to go through all my guns and drop the ones I wasn't really using.For some reason my carry weight shot up to 270. I don't know if I had a Radstag steak or what. I really need to get my carry weight up though, it's got to go up permanently at some point, the body armour I'm wearing I think has added more and more weight as the game has passed. Same with the weapons, they've snuck up on the limit and I've been unaware how much it really is. Usually when I play these games put enough points in strength so I can grab strong back, but I've not done that this time. I did a work out long before I noticed this problem that the level ups between now and 27 when I get the next perk that I need for damage would see me to the charisma level and purchase of the leadership so I could set up trade routes without wasting anything. Now I'm seriously considering putting points into strength so I can grab the strong back perk and not have to fuck about as much.

I think now the Minutemen's radio is up this is where I'll be getting the "Another settlement need help" stuff. I ended the night going to Hangman's to kill a few guys because I was sent there. The NPC's chased the threat right out the gate though, since they're all armed to the teeth and have fire bombs. They're going to need to try harder if they want to rob that safehouse.

Also randomly I sometimes get XP. Not complaining, I'd just like to know why.

10 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Also randomly I sometimes get XP. Not complaining, I'd just like to know why.

I think this can sometimes happen when an enemy dies, despite you not being involved. Sometimes from fighting others, sometimes just from bugging out on spawn or something.

I wish it'd happen more. Apparently the trade routes reward XP if they kill anything on their travels. One of my friends was telling me that if you set up trade routes that happen to be in the harder areas they clear them out as they're going back and forth, even to the point of showing up and joining a fight if you're on the same path.

He told me a story about how he was having this massive fight and there was a fight going on at the other side of the base, he just assumed they were dealing with another faction so he was lobbing grenades about. Turns out the fighting on the other side of the base was his settler that had them pinched that they ended up dying as collateral.

That's the trade routes set up, or at least some trade routes. I set one from Sanctuary to Red Rocket, from Red Rocket to Starlight and from Starlight to Hangmen's. There's still settlements that have to be connected But I don't see the point just yet. If they get attacked I'll go to the settlement through a settlement that I can send out a trader and then build up from there.

Aside from that, I did some Brotherhood stuff tonight. Then I went and searched for a guy called Kellogg. I also did a fair bit of building. I actually wired up a building with lighting. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting.

Sort of want to set up shops and those scrapping desks next. I'm looking at making Starlight a market area. I have ideas, it's just getting the materials for it. I always seem to be down on one thing. I've actually started looking at the traders that come through and buying all the stuff that's a few caps and then chucking them in the desk. I've not bought many shipments yet as they're too expensive, but if I get a lot of caps from the shops that might be my go to. 

That's Kellogg dealt with. He basically almost confirmed what I suspected where the story would go in regards of Shaun. Such lazy story writing.

I went back to Starlight to drop off some shit. Some Minutemen were fighting with Mutants on the east side. They died. What they weren't expecting is that 16 settlers were ready to roll over them like a tiny personal army.

I repaid their huge courage by building a pub for them. They've earned it.

I found a bobblehead on my journey. These things must be super well hidden because I've not found many of them at all since I started playing. I think this is the third one I've found.

20190323172916_1.jpg

7 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I found a bobblehead on my journey. These things must be super well hidden because I've not found many of them at all since I started playing. I think this is the third one I've found.

Opened my mouth too soon. I found three of them in my last session. One of them was for melee combat which I don't do, so that was pointless. The others were for lockpicking, which I can do OK, but the buff will make it a tad easier and explosive buffs, which is semi decent for when I'm chucking grenades about. I've found a fair few magazined that give better buffs, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. A perk is a perk.

I did the brain thing with Kellogg and ended up picking up a guy call MacCready. I really like fighting with this guy, he can fight at all ranges and be competent. I opened up a mission with him where he wants to go sort some people out and will be doing that soonish. I got justice on someone committing murders in a quest that wasn't signposted. Also did a bit of side side questing, checking out rumours and stuff written note terminals or notes.

Ended up the night by cashing in some Brotherhood stuff and now I'm on the big thing at the airport. Danse is with me and I've to go around talking to people that I don't particularly care about. I'll do it next session.

Worst thing about the Brotherhood - by refusing to join or help them I locked myself out of their questline, which meant that I never got the trophy for finding every location in the game because there is no other way of getting to their blimp >:|

Literally the one location I was missing

I still have no idea if the Brotherhood are good guys.They talk the good talk but they seem so suspect with it. For all I know the "people" in The Institute could be the good guys, it's not like I've spoken to them outside Kellogg.

The Minutemen seem to be the only people doing seemingly the right thing.

I did come across a murder mystery mission last night in a pristine town. I forget the name of it but there's some shady shit going on there. I'm off to a fishing creek at some point to see what these fucks are hiding. I know it's a settlement because there's a red workstation in there, I just hope I don't fuck it up and lose the damn thing, it's ideally placed to service the unconnected parts of my network out east.