passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

No idea.

The base building could be better explained. I built some defences that need to be manned but I have no idea how to get people on them. Similarly I built a vegetable patch and It's been tended, but I don't know how I did it.

I'll try that tonight. 

I'm really surprised by this game. The negativity towards it dampened my expectations, I've had several people warn me off it and I'm not entirely sure why. 

I mean there's parts that are clearly steps backwards. There's parts of it that I'll no doubt go into as I play it more that I think are out of place. For the most I think it's been enjoyable enough and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it. 

Yeah you need to link settlements with supply routes, once you've done that they will all share an inventory. It's possible for supply routes to break if the person assigned to them dies, but it's pretty unlikely! I just gave them all shotguns and mining helmets (I liked them all being visible from their light).

In crafting mode when you highlight a resident it will show you a symbol to what they are assigned. It will also highlight the exact resource that are assigned to, but that requires them being in view, obviously. You select them then the resource you want to assign/unassign.

It can be fiddly, but if you build a bell that can help. When you ring it all the settlers will stop what they are doing and gather at the bell, so you can more easily reassign them.

I absolutely loved the settlement building, best part of 4 by far!

Now that's helpful. Thanks.

I pretty much flattened all the bad bits of the original settlement. I got another settlement south of where the robots are gardening. I cleared out a little alleyway that I had no idea was a base originally until I discovered the workbench while I was looting. Finally I did what I think was a huge car park with a diner in it, the only problem is it has a big puddle of radioactive water right in the middle and I'm not entirely sure what I should do about that, other than maybe blast some shipping containers over it to stop anything getting so close they end up getting dosed with RADS. It's near a diner that has a woman running it with a drug addicted son.

Preston fucked off to do some castle mission that will open a Minutemen broadcast.

Talking of Preston, I've seen the dude thousands of times because of memes. It wasn't until I started playing the game I realised he was black. I always assumed he was covered in grime and soot from shooting the joint up. I like him though, he was a bit dead pan and serious when I started but the conversations and stuff we've had recently have showed a lighter side. I'm looking forwards to spending more time with him.

He's not on the level of Fawkes, Cass or Boone though. Those were my favourite followers from previous games. If I find another follower with a massive chip on his shoulder like Boone I will never switch them out. I liked that he could kill shit before it even rendered in my game as well. 

I am thoroughly enjoying this. Come across my first super mutants and had a bit of a rough time with them, then blew myself up by walking over a trip wire like a complete idiot. Had a light bit of puzzling solving a waterworks puzzle out while picking the place clean. Then I ended the night by having a massive scrap with feral ghouls outside a police station. I am semi comfortable on ammo and I'm doing OK for heals. I think maybe aside from he odd bump the road is going to be a lot smoother.

The crafting and stuff feels so much smoother and thought out. Generally I look at a lot of these systems in Bethesda games and they are wank, they don't feel like they serve a good enough function. I don't feel like that here, they've given everything a worth, even if it's just to be broken down for base building you might consider doing.

I played for a couple of hours tonight and it felt like I was playing for about 30 minutes. It vanished so quickly.

Also thanks to @Hendo for dropping by and having a chat. I really appreciate you taking time to come watch the streams when/if they happen.

21 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I pretty much flattened all the bad bits of the original settlement. I got another settlement south of where the robots are gardening. I cleared out a little alleyway that I had no idea was a base originally until I discovered the workbench while I was looting. Finally I did what I think was a huge car park with a diner in it, the only problem is it has a big puddle of radioactive water right in the middle and I'm not entirely sure what I should do about that, other than maybe blast some shipping containers over it to stop anything getting so close they end up getting dosed with RADS. It's near a diner that has a woman running it with a drug addicted son.

The radioactive pool in Starlight Drive-In can be made nonradioactive by scrapping the radioactive barrels that are in it. Just enter the crafting mode and hover over the barrels and you'll be able to scrap them. I had a water purifier sat in it with a few shacks surrounding it, but the main thing I did with the settlement was build up against the back of the giant screen:

zU5OyFo.jpg

Also Hangman's Alley was one of my favourite settlements, I managed to max it out with 20 settlers despite being so small by building up along the walls. It was super fiddly but I was proud:

YXnYCTo.jpg

PwbJpUE.jpg

I was telling Simon last night as he streamed - before he even started playing this I kept seeing Fallout 3 on GamePass, so I’ve downloaded it and will give it another try.

I’m really not expecting it to run or look great, especially as watching 4 on the PC looks alright and this will be the 360 version of 3.

But I’m determined to give it a proper shot so will document my adventures once Tomb Raider is finished.

I cleared up the drive in movie place and started building there. I built a bell and sure enough people come running when you ring it. I set someone on food production and the other person, well, they're nowhere to be seen. It says there's 2 occupants of that camp but the other person is invisible or whatever. I don't know.

I did have a look at the perk needed to set all the camps up with trade routes and I'm going to need more level ups before that happens. I need to put something like 6 points worth of level ups into charisma before I can select the trade route thing, so that's me fucked for a while.

Sort of digging the base building now. It controls terribly, but it's satisfying in it's own way. It'd be much better if the camera was completely free controlled so you could place stuff with a bit more accuracy. Having it attached to your in game avatar doesn't do it any favours.

Played a little bit this evening. Ended up with an invitation to join the Brotherhood of Steel but I left them hanging as I don't really know if they're the good guys.

I did a little bit of wandering about. I noticed I could get on top of the power plant without going through it so took a look up there and found a bobblehead. It wasn't one of the cool ones that boosts SPECIAL. I've only found one and that was in the room with Preston when you meet the first lot of settlers. I actually looked all over for a place to show off my bobbleheads but I can't find one. I figure there's a place in Diamond City, I forget the name of the place but it looks like a home I earn.

I also ended up in the Diamond City and met PIper. I learned of Valentine as well but I had to leave it there. I want to go do the Castle mission so I can retrieve Preston but I'm a bit worried about going further down than I am now, not that it's been hard it's just I'd rather stick north of Diamond City finding and checking stuff off before I go further on. Got to get that sweet loot and build shit up.

17 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Sort of digging the base building now. It controls terribly, but it's satisfying in it's own way. It'd be much better if the camera was completely free controlled so you could place stuff with a bit more accuracy. Having it attached to your in game avatar doesn't do it any favours.

I like the player camera as it makes it feel more immersive, like you're actually building rather than pulling you out the game. But yes it can be fiddly as hell. I don't think the game ever tells you this but if you hold down the select button (X on PS4) you can move the object forwards/back and left/right without moving yourself. That lets you place stuff further away and is occasionally useful.

The later levels of the Local Leader perk are worth getting too as they let you build stores and workbenches.

I'll try holding E to see if that will allow me to move stuff about before letting go to finalise it.

There's a few more perks I want to get but after that I think I'll hit up Charisma and then after that go right to Endurance to the end so I can grab those sunlight perks. I need to find the bobblehead for that, otherwise it's a wasted level up.

I don't know if you noticed, but if you put weapons in the red chest the settlers will equip them. I wondered why they went from having a standard pistol to a laser rifle.

Speaking of laser rifles, that one Danse gives you is mad. I have so much ammo for it as well, it's become my go to. I do wish there was an easier way to compare weapons I know there's a + on stuff but sometimes that doesn't equate to being better. Having a stats sheet where they're side by side would be nice.

Did a bit of a look around Diamond City picking up various quests.I headed out to go find Valentine and stumbled across the loser that got beat up in the bar. I think that barman is going to kill him and make away with the whole payday. I'll find out later I guess.

I ended up trekking back to the alley settlement because I was over encumbered and Codsworth couldn't hold anymore. Decided to clean all the junk up and start building. Went to build a beacon to call people in and didn't have enough shit. I stashed a load of gear there, I just hope it's still there when I go back. Hopefully I have enough stuff once I've sorted this Valentine mission out.

That alley is a lot bigger than I first thought it was too, it sort of doglegs around. I think it should be easy to defend, but then again I'm not really certain how the attacks on settlements work. Real world thinking dictates that if I shut off either end of the alley off it should be safe, but enemies could spawn inside those walls because videogame logic isn't the same as real world logic.Might be a case of putting pillars up with turrets on top. I think that might be for the best in every settlement, just have turrets all over.

I left it as I was just going to enter Vault 114. I wonder what misery will greet my inside there, there's usually some horrific story as the to vaults purpose.

Finished up Vault 114. Had a good old chuckle at what it was set up for, made it a bit of a joy to wander around seeing what miserable conditions the elite were going to end up dealing with. Rescued Nick and all that stuff. I've got to say I'm not really won over by him. He weirds me out if I'm being honest.

Ended up walking in on the drug heist. Just lobbed a grenade into the middle of them and had done with it. Ended up having a conversation where things went south and I lost where the drug lab was. Didn't matter, when I looted her body I got sent across the map into a puzzle area. I had to tell Codsworth to sit the fuck down for a bit because he kept fucking it up. I got a few really nice things from this. Firstly I got a suit that can eat RADS. That's going to come in handy. I also got a ridiculous legendary shotgun that has all the ammo in it. It never reloads, it's completely going to break the close combat as long as I can keep it fed. I had a I also got legendary laser pistol but that wasn't as good as the other laser pistol I had with mods. On my way back to camp I got another bit of legendary gear drop from a raider, a chest piece, It's not very good, although I'm going to see if I can retool it to be better. If not it's no loss. It looks like legendary stuff it going to start dropping a bit more now I'm a little bit into it.

I've put 24 hours into this and I barely feel like I've scratched it.

Been doing the Ada sidequest. I do not enjoy being jumped by those robot hit squads, they're so hard hitting. especially when they're rolling with the humans. I was sort of hoping they'd stop after the quest was over, but it appears you can build your own companions and you sort of need the parts that these hit squads drop so I doubt I've seen the end. If anything it's only just started.

Got plenty sidetracked while I was adventuring. Went back to Hangmans only to find it in the process of being attacked by these fucking robots, I don't know if the robots were spawning for me and they just went to the nearest place they could get into a ruck or what. I did witness a "Your settlement is under attack" so went and dealt with that. The same robots! There was a legendary I killed there but I couldn't find it's body. The next time that happens I'm pressing R on the body as soon as it hits the floor and having a good look at what it dropped.

I'm sort of getting to the point where there's not as many skills I want to take and also I'm level gated out of taking the ones I do want. I think buffing the SPECIALs might be in order soon. It's going to take 4 level ups before I can take the perk for the trading between settlements though. That's going to sting.

EDIT: Also this happened. It got stuck in the stairs after I knocked it over with a grenade blast and it was freaking out. IT's a bit dark but you should be able to make out what's going on.

20190318055944_1.jpg

Classic Bethesda bug right there!

On settlements being attacked, I /think/ that each settlement has set spawn points just outside, so enemies will always attack from certain directions, but I think I also read that the AI needs to be able to path them into the settlement, and if you prevent this from happening (i.e. have no doors/gates at all) then they can start spawning inside.

Certainly with Hangman's Alley it was enough for me to put turrets at the two entrances and enemies would just throw themselves against them. If your defence stat is high enough attacks happen very rarely anyway (you definitely want defences totaling more than the settlement's combined food and water yields).