passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

Yeah, I agree, Nag, they really need to implement a new engine, and add a completely new gameplay mechanic or system into place if they decide to go ahead with a Fallout 5, would like to see them go back to more role-playing stuff as well, as the side-quests I encountered had far too much 'go here shoot this' for the most part, for me, and not enough role playing. The Side-Quests in Witcher 3 were so incredibly well realised, I hope Bethesda can copy them and do side-quests like them for the next TES and Fallout entries.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another 7 years for F5 though :lol: probably be on PS5 and Xbox Two by then :o

• 4 weeks later...

This is pretty great, isn't it? After a slightly slow and confusing start, I am now fully invested. I reached Diamond City last night, at level 12. Along the way I have joined the Minutemen and Brotherhood of Steel, done around 11 side quests and only 2 main story. When I left it I was about to reach Valentine.

I'm a bit late to this party, the Wife wanted to get this for me as a Christmas present, which worked out quite nicely giving it time to be patched out a little.

After seeing a few articles, and a few friends saying they were really disapointed with it, have to say i'm loving every second. Five and a half hours in and i'm part of the minute men, and have helped out one settlement by clearing out a factory of raiders. Enjoying the Settlement building so far, and the soundtrack is classic Fallout, which means i'll be whistling 'civilisation' for the foreseeable future.

• 2 months later...

Fallout 4‘s first downloadable add-on, “Automatron,” will launch across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC for $9.99 USD / £7.99 GBP / $16.95 AUD on March 22, Bethesda Softworks announced.

Here’s an overview:
The mysterious Mechanist has unleashed a horde of evil robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain. Hunt them down and harvest their parts to build and mod your own custom robot companions. Choose from hundreds of mods; mixing limbs, armor, abilities, and weapons like the all-new lightning chain gun. Even customize their paint schemes and choose their voices!

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/fallout-4-automatron-dlc-launches-march-22

• 3 months later...

Just started playing the DLC for this yesterday, started off with Automatron.

Played about 3 hours, didn't like it at all.

It's just so painfully dull, 'go here, meet this robot', 'robot wants you to get some shit from 3 locations' - endless killing ensues yadda yadda yadda, it just feels like an added questline in a game that doesn't really need it, it doesn't do anything special or cool, it's just a mediocre questline in an enormous game.

Being able to make your own robots is quite cool though I guess, I just wish I didn't have my progress in the main questline hindered by having to make one (and search around for components).

Hopefully finish this tomorrow and move on to Far Harbour, god I hope that's better.

Yeah, playing on PC.

Finished Automatron yesterday, fortunately Far Harbour has been much better so far, still not anything mind-blowing and I do find my mind wandering a bit sometimes as I'm playing.

But, yeah, decent story and factions to explore so far, Far Harbour itself is cool and gives off a Lovecraftian vibe, the island though just kooks like the Commonwealth forests in the North which is a tad disappointing.

Another 3 hours of Far Harbour yesterday.

Really enjoyed it, first time the time the time flew by really whilst playing this expansion.

Spent the entirety of my time finishing side-quests for the Children of Atom (last faction I had side-quests available for), after they were all finished I carried on with the main story which took a few interesting and unexpected turns.

Spoiler

Really wasn't expecting the Tron-like moment of being sucked inside a computer terminal into DiMA's memories, that really spooned me out, everything looked like Minecraft and you had to put some puzzles together to get these little cockroach things to retrieve memory data from this light beacon, was loving the change of pace and the absurdity and abstract nature of what I was tasked to do, but after a while (there's 5 of them) I just wanted to get back into 'the real world' in Far Harbour so to speak, it got rather tedious having to do 5 of them, 3 would of been fine.

So yeah, that's all I had time for yesterday, not sure how much longer I've got left to go, but seeing as I've spent 9 hours with this Expansion you definitely get your money's worth that's for sure!

Yeah, I used a walkthrough for the last one as I just got completely lost with that one, the other ones I managed without though. As I said in my previous post initially I felt they were a fun absurd distraction but they did go on a bit, no need for 5 of them at al 1-3 would've been perfect.

Finished it earlier, took me 11 hours or so in total.

Really enjoyed it, the story is great and it was nice to actually be trusted to resolve things with talking rather than guns, first bit of roleplaying in the game really after the 'kill them, or them, or them' of the main game.

Loved the options available and that you had free reign to decide the Island's fate, characters were great and I loved getting to know the three factions and do all their side quests.

Definitely recommended, a really good expansion that enhances the game in my view.

Bring on Nuka-World in August!

• 1 year later...

Good time to start this when thinking about changing jobs, making a big push on learning German and a generally full life.

I am absorbed... I am also struggling now, it was going well for the first few hours and now, just after diamond city I found a medical centre, used all my stimpaks to get inside and then got destroyed by robots, lol.

I guess I will go back to an earlier save and circumvent it until later!! Shame as I found a nice energy weapon too :S

Great game so far. I honestly can't tell much difference between how I feel about this vs Fallout 3. Both grabbed me for a while and I suspect that will the former I will also stop and move on to something else before I finish the main story. 

I have mainly just been doing side quests so far, fat lot of good that did... :)

• 8 months later...

I am playing this now. It's OK? I don't think it's amazing by any standards, but it is what it is. It'll probably get better the more time I invest.

The difficulty is off the fucking chain right now, I got a mission to go sort some raiders out so some woman would join the Minutemen and  on the way I was following some railway tracks. I got jumped by about 10 ghouls and really struggled to deal with them. I basically had no ammo to deal with the raiders, I'm just constantly hand to mouth with ammo. I was watching a friend play ages ago and he had so much ammo he stopped picking it up. I wish I was just comfortable right now. I did get a lucky stash of .38 which is basically sustaining me.

It doesn't really help I'm missing a lot more shots than I should be, but I have to get used to mouse and keys so so be it.

I left it back at the base where you can build. I did a little bit of building but fuck me if they've not slapped that son of a bitch together. I wish when you placed beds or whatever against a wall they'd just snap placement. I might have to go diving into Nexus mods to see if I can iron it out. It's shit how it is, but I can see that if you get into it it could be quite absorbing.

I don't really understand the SPECIAL this time either. Can you add points of top of the original allocation outside of reading  magazines and collecting bobbleheads? It feels a bit weird, I'm not sure I like that.

I do like that they imported the Morrowind state of mind for armour though. I don't think it's as in depth as Morrowind was, but they've hit a nice middle ground where you can build up a complete set of variable armour for each limb and body part.

I've seen zero bugs so far. I've seen some dubious AI, the dog decided to walk off the top of a catwalk and did a comical whine when he dropped 30ft and I've seen a bit of eyebrow raising ragdolling, but aside from that it's been solid. The wonders of waiting a few years and letting them patch the son of a bitch. I can deal with engine quirks, just keep it at that and I'll give it a pass.

I'll probably stream bits of this. Skyrim seemed to do alright and I could see this being fine as well.

That's another thing I'm not so sure about, the alteration to VATS so it's just running in slo-mo feels a bit off. I prefer it when it completely pauses the action and gives you a moment to plan out where you're going to pop off shots. 

2 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I'll probably use those missions to collect materials then, whenever needed. I understand that the things work like Resident Evil chests so you can dump in the nearest one and every settlement gets the benefit.

Not sure if that's from the off, or only once you've linked the settlements through supply routes ?