passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

Maybe, is it called Abernacey farm or something like that? If so yes.

Another 5 hours yesterday/today, a lot more exploring (got the 'chievo for 100 locations discovered :)) a few more side-quests and a whole lot more fun, the game has really started to click with me now and I'm absolutely lapping it up I must say, cannot wait to play more later today.

So I've played this for 2-3 hours..and stopped. It's broken enough for me to step back from it.

Keep having to reload saves because NPCs are get stuck or not moving isn't fun..the lip synching as well. :lol:

The intro so far has done almost nothing to show you the new features too and just chucks them all on your lap. The new stuff in Skyrim was all quest lined was it not? Why didn't they do it here?

But I had some fun just going about exploring and scavenging. I'll definitely play more when it's patched abit. But first impressions aren't great.

So I've played this for 2-3 hours..and stopped. It's broken enough for me to step back from it.

Keep having to reload saves because NPCs are get stuck or not moving isn't fun..the lip synching as well. :lol:

The intro so far has done almost nothing to show you the new features too and just chucks them all on your lap. The new stuff in Skyrim was all quest lined was it not? Why didn't they do it here?

But I had some fun just going about exploring and scavenging. I'll definitely play more when it's patched abit. But first impressions aren't great.

Have to say I've had very few bugs in my 23 hours with the game, maybe the console versions are worse off, I'm not sure. All I've had is a few skeletons floating in the air, a few limbs twirling around of their own accord after I've killed something :lol: but nothing major at all, I've had a few NPCs walking into walls and stuff as well Duck but as long as they're still responsive and you're still able to talk to them or cash in/receive a quest, I was really fussed to be honest, seems to happen in every open world game nowadays, I know its happened dozens of times in Ass Creed over the years :lol: as long as it doesn't prevent me from progressing then I continue on.

They do chuck you into the world I agree, they explain the basics of VATS and firing your gun in the Vault but then seemingly they leave you to it pretty much as soon as you get out, hoping you'll remember the systems from past Fallout games presumably. They do explain the base-building stuff at the end of one of the first missions, but it's just a few text boxes, nothing more and if you miss it they never pop up again :lol: I pretty much learnt how to do it by watching videos on YT. I do kind of like it in a way, I mean for new players to a Bethesda RPG and/or Fallout it must be incredibly overwhelming, but for me, as an experienced guy used to all the systems Bethesda GS use it's quite cool in a way that the game doesn't hold your hand and you're just left to your own devices to do whatever the fuck you want to do in the Wasteland.

In other news...23 hours in now, Level 21. The games definitely gathered a rhythm to it, and I've stopped exploring so much and started doing some side-quests, some have been very cool but some seem to repeat ad-nauseum, I've done an absolute butt-ton of the Settlement side-quests but it seems they just repeat over and over again, it'll pop up 'Nordstrom farm ghoul problem' you go over, speak to the settlers and they'll tell you of some place to go to clear out some enemies, then a few hours later you'll get the same notification pop up at (sometimes) the exact same location, doing much the same thing.

Had this in the Brotherhood of Steel quest-line too, did 2 quests for some people, came back and they sent me out on exactly the same quests just in a different location, bit shitty really and I've got 0 motivation to just keep repeating the same quests over and over again, even though they are cool the first few times, but would like to complete the Minutemen and BoS questlines if I can.

Not really sure what to do later today, may give the main-questline a go as I've only got about 6 or 7 side-quests on my Pip-Boy and 4/5 of those are the repeating missions for the differing factions mentioned above.

I just had a look on the recommendations part of steam for this and people are giving it a right old kicking. Some of the stuff they mention is super weird to me. No karma system? No skill points? Weapons no longer degrade? These are just a few of the things pulled from the many things that make Fallout Fallout. I'm a bit bewildered by what I'm reading.

Those are weird, and wrong. There isn't a karma system, there is a system tied to companions that react to your decisions that arguably makes it more personable since F3's karma system was a bit shit. I suppose this is closer to NV's. There is skill points, no idea where that came from. Weapons don't degrade, but that's a plus in my book, but they need upgraded constantly to keep up so make sure to pick up all the toasters and electric fans you can find.

Maybe it's not 'Fallout' but all this nonsense misses the point. It's the moment to moment stuff that sucks. If you don't like Bioshock I doubt you'll like this.

I take steam reviews (or any user reviews on a website) with a huge pinch of salt to be honest.

But, yeah, as DC said there isn't a Karma system (it was a bit shit in F3 let's be honest), there is most definitely skill points, and the lack of weapon/armour degradation is a godsend for me personally, annoyed me intensely in F:NV and F3 having to go find a guy to repair a weapon or piece of armour and then continuing on again.

If you like F3 and are enjoying F:NV, Sly, you'll enjoy this, it's basically identical to those games with better looking graphics, a few tweaks to the gameplay systems and the base-building stuff really, I'm still rather baffled as why you didn't get on with it DC, considering you liked F3, I can only come to two conclusions, that you made a bee-line for Diamond City after the first story mission and got your arse handed to you by all the massively over-levelled nasties on the way or put your SPECIAL stats into Charisma/Intelligence/Luck and didn't put anything into Strength at the start.

The game is pretty tough and only at Level 16+ have the enemies that I was struggling with intiially become easier, I know a guy that's reviewing it for the site I moderate for and he got raped by making a bee-line for Diamond City, you've just gotta grind otherwise you get your arse handed to you it seems. I still think you should dip a toe back in and give it a 2nd chance by the way, the 1 hour or so you spent with it just isn't enough to gauge an RPG of this size in my opinion.

I actually quite like the repairing stuff, the sense of achievement when you managed to get a weapon to a condition where it's not going to jam on you feels great. It sort of makes you have to prioritise what you're looting as well, you look at what you have in your inventory. So for instance in my NV playthrough I had a suit I can use that allows me to go into heavily irradiated zones without absorbing RADS. However the condition is directly linked to how much RADS it can negate, so I try to kite enemies out of an area I want to go loot to kill them and then swap across to some armour that's going to be easily fixed up when I do take bumps and dings. It makes me value the items that are letting me takle certain situations I wouldn't otherwise be able to without screwing myself.

How does that work in game then as repairing is one of the skills you have in the 13 point based skills? Does it go into building weapons or have they stripped it out and replaced it?

Also picking Intelligence is key to several important aspects of the game in 3 and NV so I'm assuming it's probably the same in 4. Having a high Intelligence puts up your medicine, science and repair skills (which I understand might be different now) which are generally pretty important skills you want to have. On top of that for every 2 points you have into Intelligence you gain 1 more point to spend in skills whenever you level up, in the long run you're going to be able to distribute more points into the skills you have before hitting the cap. Seeing as there is no cap in FO4 you could just play and play and play until you max those numbers out. You're going to do it much quicker by having a high Intelligence though if the extra skillpoints still add in on the usual 10 you get when levelling up.

Charisma you can get away with putting 1 in. While you will be using it, you're normally having to take advantage of it while you are not fighting and placing the point elsewhere are a better investment. If you're failing things that need Charisma as a base stat put a suit and a hat on and have a beer, then go and do whatever you need to do with those things stacked. You're looking at +1 or 2 for each item of clothing and a +1 for the beer. One of the chems can give you a +1 or 2 into Charisma as well but i forget what it's called. You're looking at being able to boost yourself to at least 5 and probably higher if you have nicer items. There's literally no point in putting anymore than 1 point into it because of these reasons.

I can't disagree with all the negatives, 9 and 10 still totally fucking ludicrous, but at the same time I don't dislike the game. In not going to plough 4 hours at a time redoing the same quests because I think there's so much in the game so as not to need to do that. Ultimately this will go towards another release when I figure out what that is, this won't be a forever game due to the flaws that occasonally stop a gaming session from being enjoyable ( I don't have enough gaming time for three hours lost due to a bug being an acceptable thing long term).

This is really not a bad game at all, but take it out of those fucking game award categories please, it's not laudable and I don't think it's something for other gaming studios to aspire to.

I still think you should dip a toe back in and give it a 2nd chance by the way, the 1 hour or so you spent with it just isn't enough to gauge an RPG of this size in my opinion.

I put in something closer to four or five hours. I did the first mission for the Minute Men, I wandered around off the beaten path a bit, I did a mission for the Brotherhood, I wandered around some more then. I was doing a mission finding Valentine(?) when I gave up. I had levelled up a bit.

I didn't put much into strength and did concentrate more on other stats but that did mean I had damage boosts on using handguns and rifles.

I don't think there is any use in giving it a second chance. I don't find it's systems that interesting, I really don't like the combat loop and it seems I have to tank it for ages until I can play it like I'd like to. I'm also not that interested in this story again.

I'm not even calling it a bad game really; it could very well be as good as some of these reviews say it is and for a bunch of people it could be what Fallout 3 was to me, but I just have other games I'd rather put time into. Xenoblade X is out in a few weeks and I think that will be more my kinda thing, I hope.

I've had a few NPCs walking into walls and stuff as well Duck but as long as they're still responsive and you're still able to talk to them or cash in/receive a quest, I was really fussed to be honest, seems to happen in every open world game nowadays, I know its happened dozens of times in Ass Creed over the years :lol: as long as it doesn't prevent me from progressing then I continue on.

It was stopping from progressing. I had to follow the Minutemen guy and I was walking up a hill and he got stuck on a bump in the road. Reloaded and he got stuck again.. Got to the location and he was trying to give me some inspiring speech but the audio bugged out. Stuff like that has happened too much for me.

I do kind of like it in a way, I mean for new players to a Bethesda RPG and/or Fallout it must be incredibly overwhelming, but for me, as an experienced guy used to all the systems Bethesda GS use it's quite cool in a way that the game doesn't hold your hand and you're just left to your own devices to do whatever the fuck you want to do in the Wasteland.

It's a AAA game on a new system that's going have a lot new players. It would of been cool if you were asked to build something pre nuke, then seen it destroy when exited the vault.

All the tutorial bits could of been done pre nuke. Doing it as soon as you come out of vault doesn't make sense to me. "I must find my son!..OOOOOW! A work bench! No wait! SIX work benches! OH EEM GEEZ BEST DAY EVS!"

I don't hate the game. But I think people wouldn't of minded if they had of worked on it for another 6 months/year. Instead of announcing it and saying it's out in a few months.

Firstly however he showed me the pipboy and told me how poor the quality of the build is and I couldn't agree more. It's terribly cheap. Parts of it come off that shouldn't. Some of the dials feel as though they're about to break off when you turn them and a button at the back got lodged and trapped within the pipboy the first time it was pressed. The app itself drained his battery within 2hrs and wasn't really of any use or convinience. So overall he wish he'd not bought it and put the money towards the season pass (which I assumed this came with the cheeky bastards).

I got the Pip-Boy Edition as well, and I couldn't disagree more, I think the build quality is pretty amazing myself. I was worried in the unboxing videos etc. that it looked a bit plasticky, but once I got it home and had the chance to fondle it myself I found it surprisingly well made, it's even got some metal in the top which I was surprised about and looks identical to the virtual version in F4. Although I must say I haven't and won't try it on (my phone's too big for it anyway :lol:) or bother pressing any of the switches, it just sits proudly on the gorgeous little stand on my shelf and I'm happy with that, my F:NV, F3 and F4 CE's all next to one another, lovely stuff :)

I don't have enough gaming time for three hours lost due to a bug being an acceptable thing long term

There's no way in hell you should ever lose 3 hours of progress :lol:, the game auto-saves regularly (as long as you have it set in the options menu) and you should be quick-saving yourself every few minutes, it's what I do, haven't experienced any bugs myself as of yet apart from the odd floating skeleton or limb, and I'm 28 hours in.

I still think you should dip a toe back in and give it a 2nd chance by the way, the 1 hour or so you spent with it just isn't enough to gauge an RPG of this size in my opinion.

I put in something closer to four or five hours. I did the first mission for the Minute Men, I wandered around off the beaten path a bit, I did a mission for the Brotherhood, I wandered around some more then. I was doing a mission finding Valentine(?) when I gave up. I had levelled up a bit.
I didn't put much into strength and did concentrate more on other stats but that did mean I had damage boosts on using handguns and rifles.

I don't think there is any use in giving it a second chance. I don't find it's systems that interesting, I really don't like the combat loop and it seems I have to tank it for ages until I can play it like I'd like to. I'm also not that interested in this story again.

I'm not even calling it a bad game really; it could very well be as good as some of these reviews say it is and for a bunch of people it could be what Fallout 3 was to me, but I just have other games I'd rather put time into. Xenoblade X is out in a few weeks and I think that will be more my kinda thing, I hope.

Ahh ok, fair enough DC, you were further in than I thought, still probably shouldn't of ventured down to Diamond City so early though, but you're right, you do have to get upto Level 16+ before you start to pwn enemies, and that may turn some off.

I've had a few NPCs walking into walls and stuff as well Duck but as long as they're still responsive and you're still able to talk to them or cash in/receive a quest, I was really fussed to be honest, seems to happen in every open world game nowadays, I know its happened dozens of times in Ass Creed over the years :lol: as long as it doesn't prevent me from progressing then I continue on.

It was stopping from progressing. I had to follow the Minutemen guy and I was walking up a hill and he got stuck on a bump in the road. Reloaded and he got stuck again.. Got to the location and he was trying to give me some inspiring speech but the audio bugged out. Stuff like that has happened too much for me.

Ahh, ok, that does sound rather annoying, not had anything like that myself yet I must say.

I will say this, the magic and wonder that was so abundant in Skyrim, and to a lesser degree F3, just isn't present here, when I first got into Diamond City yesterday I was expecting to be amazed, flabbergasted at how cool everything was, but it just didn't compare to the first time going to Megaton in F3 at all, that sense of wonder, mystery and magic just isn't present in this.

The fantastic sound design and sound-track in Skyrim went a long way to creating the magic and wonder but that just seems lacking in this to me, it's still as addictive, compelling and enthralling as other Bethesda games in the past, but there's just that magic formula that's missing so far, that might change as I'm still not far into it, but I just don't find the world as enticing a place to spend time in as the Capitol Wasteland or Skyrim at the moment.

An update for myself, another 5 hours played yesterday/today, 28 hours total. Done a load more quests today and have put the exploring on the back-burner, although I did get distracted on the way to Diamond City still I must say :lol:
Finally made it to Diamond City anyway, had a good ol' explore there, going around talking to everyone, going in everywhere I could and picking up every side quest I could along the way, then proceeded to do each each one, think I did about 5 or 6 in total, quite a few and now upto Level 23.
Here's a few pics of my journey so far:
Top of Trinity Tower (shame it was a foggy day :():
rO1BrsFl.png
Num7jRQl.png
Random roadsign that I thought looked similar to the ones we have here in the UK:
6DBK6Ull.png
Floating Skeleton:
z0TSyNEl.png
Entrance to Diamond City:
DZmkTfFl.png
mEzSUXyl.png
Diamond City itself:
ufuNa59l.png
u5udsFBl.png

I've only just reached Concourd but it's definitely got that F3 feel. Graphics are better but not much to shout out 'next gen!'. Had to laugh at Dogmeat as he followed me into a workshop and then to the roof. As we stepped through the door he walked right up to the ledge and calmly walked off and fell several floors to a ledge. Once I'd made it back down to ground level, I looked up at him and commanded him to come over but he just looked at me, as if to say, 'how the fuck do I get down from here?'. Bless A.I.!

I'm enjoying it so far. It's what I expected, really. Not had a game breaking bug yet.

Thought I'd been a bit harsh on the game so decided to go back to it, get back to where I was and carry on. I read you can store all your junk in any crafting station and it's available where ever which is cool.

Go to Trinity tower which was good because I was wandering about a little aimlessly. Got to a lift around half way up after killing a fair few super mutants and the game crashes every single time I get into a certain lift. Presuambly this was also my fault but with the timing I think that's probably the straw that's broken the camels back. Game will give me 30 for this and I feel a bit like I'm finally getting one over on the old enemy.

Yeah, I don't like this idea we're not liking this game for forum crack. I was looking forward to this. I had money set aside for games this Winter and this was one of them. I don't have much else in my sad current life so all I want is some good gaming times and it didn't deliver.

I actually took another shift on at work today since I thought I'd be spending my time off in the Wastelands but I'd rather not. Gotta make back the money I lost.

Cool if you're into it but don't think those that don't are just being fops.

o,O you can't disagree with the pip boy build quality, call it amazing then go on to say you can't use it and that you haven't turned any of the dials or pushed any of the buttons.

Here's Wired's review. The same happened to them:

"Leaving aside the fact that larger phones won't fit -- Bethesda was, to its credit, up front about that, and trying to accomodate every possible handset on the market would be nigh impossible -- the physical Pip-Boy is flimsy. Taking it out of the box, the first button we pressed immediately wedged itself in the casing. The dial on the top right, meant to switch between menu screens, felt as if it was balanced on a loose spring, like a bobble-head (collectible bobble-heads are a thing in Fallout 4 but we doubt wobbly dials are meant to homage them). The clasp that holds the device on your wrist often comes loose. It is, at least, a lovely replica of the in-game device, but one that's best suited for display than actual use. A disappointing waste of potential."

Haha fair enough, did not know it was so fragile at all, I literally just picked it up out the box, took the foam phone inserts out and then put it on the stand which then got put on my shelf, so I guess that's why, not enough fondling obviously ;)

Thought I'd been a bit harsh on the game so decided to go back to it, get back to where I was and carry on. I read you can store all your junk in any crafting station and it's available where ever which is cool.

Go to Trinity tower which was good because I was wandering about a little aimlessly. Got to a lift around half way up after killing a fair few super mutants and the game crashes every single time I get into a certain lift. Presumably this was also my fault but with the timing I think that's probably the straw that's broken the camels back. Game will give me 30 for this and I feel a bit like I'm finally getting one over on the old enemy.

Just do a different quest man and move on, there's a ridiculous amount to do! :P It's not a main quest that, so you'll be ok ;)

I had a quest bug out on me in Skyrim that I could never complete, but it was just a side-quest luckily.

The Lifts are a bit dodgy though I agree, I had the game freeze on me when I was in a lift earlier as well.

Also, just out of interest, why are Bethesda (presumably) 'the old enemy'? It makes it sound like Bethesda are a rival football firm :lol:

Anyhoo...Another 5 hours for me yesterday/today, just been doing quests and clearing out the odd building here and there really, did a really cool quest where you have to follow the freedom trail, then decipher the coded messages on each plaque at each 'stop' on the Freedom Trail to eventually open a door, was expected to be met by some kind of boss character in the place at the end but instead was met with some people who turned out to be the

Railroad

faction, after this I did some quests for them which eventually led me into an area of Boston I hadn't been before, discovered a Settlement near Bunker Hill, cleared out a School for some old lady, rescued some caravanners, discovered a new quest at Bunker Hill then just continued on with whatever I'd got on my Pip-Boy.

Had a few more bugs today though sadly, most were hilarious (see below at two examples) but 2 others were a bit more worrying, had to use a lift to get to the top of this tower, as I got to the top, the game froze and no commands on the controller were working, fixed itself after 5 seconds but enough to get me worried, and then secondly it just randomly quit out the game just after I took one of the screenshots below, no save issue luckily but got me worried, hopefully it doesn't do that again any-time soon, gave me kittens!

Upto Level 26 now, 33 hours played, more later today!

Took a few more screenshots of my journey as well:

View from a tower in Boston city centre (that's a bit of cloth on the right by the way, not land, tried to get it out the shot but couldn't manage it :lol:)

k5Resh2h.png

A gorgeous starlit night sky:

ltdkYxzh.png

Shot that's similar to one from the Announcement trailer:

M8GtgPah.png

Guy sitting down on thin air:

WOoimSQh.png

Dead Raider stuck in the air:

XGnWtobh.png