passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

The stuff like it being fallout 3.5 and bugs i thought would really annoy me but they dont bother me too much to be honest, however im still a bit angry about the reviews, its not a 9 guys, stop being silly. This game, more than any other is a game to read the review and ignore the score.

Utter bollocks, it may not be a 9 in your opinion, but to others it is most definitely worthy of a 9 and possibly even a 10, that's just opinions for you, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion to have.

It sounds like you don't want to take any of the positive reviews to heart and only take the negative ones seriously, some people just want reviews to reinforce and validate their own views on a game I guess, I've probably been guilty of this myself in the past, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's just human nature to an extent, but you can't just disregard the huge majority of reviewers who love the game because it doesn't fit with your opinion.

I dunno, Blakey. You did see the review back when GTAIV came out? They were absolute nonsense. I remember a lot of them (especially g™) basically went on about the history, threw a bit of philosophy in there and then slapped a big number on the end because why the fuck not? It's GTAIV and fuck the flaws.

Although I've not played Fallout 4 the bits that I've read don't correlate with the views of people I trust more than reviews, considering it's DC as well who's opinion I respect (even though sometimes he's wrong :P). The grass isn't as green as the reviewers are making out, the majority here are picking out flaws and bits they don't like which affect their enjoyment, something which the reviews failed to pick up on.

No way in a million years its a 9, 10 just makes me think you are either the games mum or maker or trolling hard. 10 means perfection, as in 10 out of 10 no higher score exists. This game has launched with bugs in it. Its possible to get into a situation where no outcome other than death is achievable and the game has autosaved meaning your game is broken/over and you have to reload a manually taken save. Ive seen bugs where somebody is holding a gun and desynch caused the gun to melee kill themselves, reviews mention a conversation ending but being stuck in the conversation window.

You are right that reviews are opinion based, and as such an opinion can widely vary but thats not the same as justification for a perfect score to be awarded to a game that, by 99% of development studio's standards would not have been released in its current format. The second problem is that regardless of bugs, the gameplay is also not perfect nor even exemplary. Its behind the curve in a lot of things that it does, and although you weigh up the good with the bad, and theres a lot of good that outshines the bad, to suggest this is as good as games get is very ludicrous.

I don't really want to caste myself as an authority on a game like Fallout 4 because it's not in my personal wheelhouse. The RPGs I grew up with were the Japanese ones and the only experience I have is occasionally dabbling in a couple of Elder Scrolls games and a Bioware series or two.

Maybe I liked Fallout 3 because it was the right time for me and the right game because it's far from a great game in a lot of ways.

I do think it's me. I should have realised I've not enjoyed big open world games in ages so I dunno why I thought this one would be different.

I'm bricking it now about Xenoblade X and Final Fantasy XV. If I don't like those I'm giving up on big RPGs. I'll stick with the 3DS.

10 means perfection

Disagree with that, it means what the publication/site/people who defined the scale say it means. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but meh.

GTA IV was one of the games I had in mind when I made the remark in the other thread about launch day review scores on big budget, hyped AAA games being worthless. The same with games with this, where many issues aren't going become apparent until it's out and thousands of users are putting it through it's paces.

Not that I think reviews as checklists marking everything good and bad about a game are any good either, or that a few technical issues should necessarily influence a scrore unless they're really detrimental to the game.

At this stage, I'm not sure what point I was trying to make, but if I can keep typing for a couple of minutes more, it'll be time to go home.

10 means perfection

Disagree with that, it means what the publication/site/people who defined the scale say it means. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but meh.
Again, that's how it's being used in reality but only because its been bastardised and now unless a big studios game gets at least a 9 it's not seen as good. Its like shit on telly like xfactor constantly telling every act that they are the best ever until the next act comes on and is best ever. We are in the dragonball Z world of reviews with super duper shmooper saiyans, even a ten doesn't mean anything nowadays it's just a formality. As Sly said, the lowest this could have scored was an 8 and that would have been damning. The guy Ed posted from the Guardian, Rich Stanton, gave a review that was as close to simply factual as you will see nowadays and he was hounded for it, called out as being overly negative.

I guess I just can't agree with the 'all reviews are bollocks' point of view, Sly is right, that in hindsight, games like GTA IV were massively overrated, but that's just hindsight for you really, at the time the majority of people seemed to agree with the reviews as it was the first 'next-gen' GTA and were having a wail of a time, but since then people have been like 'wait, GTA IV was a bit shit wasn't it looking back' and that's just hindsight and being able to play better games, and better GTA games since.

I feel that way about many games, that the reviews are slightly inflated (MGSV, Bioshock:Infinite etc.) but the difference is I still respect the reviewers opinions, these sites can appear a bit faceless, commercial and facetious at times, but you've always got to remember it's just one guy/girl sitting down to play a game to completion, and once finished he gives his/her opinion in an article and a score, I don't really see what's wrong with that, I only use reviews as a guide, some games have been critically underrated and some critically overrated, it doesn't affect my time with the game, but merely acts as a guide and that's a-ok with me.

Ultimately, I think it's a bit silly disregarding 41 out of 45 critic reviews because they're positive about a game is all, but that's just me.

Anyhoo...all I could think about last night in bed and at work earlier today was playing this :lol: so played another 3 hours when I got in.

Incredibly engrossing, just got absolutely lost in the world which is what I love best about Bethesda's RPGs, just went off exploring, discovering new places, collecting everything I could and doing a few side quests I found along the way, after that I finally did the next story missions in Concord (which was epic) and called it a day.

Have to say though that it feels like something is missing compared to F3, don't really know what it is but the World just feels a bit more ordinary, it doesn't have the atmosphere of Skyrim and F3 just yet, and the places I've found not as enticing, but I'm very early in so I'm hoping this changes as the game goes on. Been quite disappointed with the side quests as well, only done 3 or 4 but all of them have been very straightforward and fetch-questy with none of the personality of some of the best side quests in F3 thus far, still early days though, can't wait to play some more.

I've no opinion on Fallout 4 because I haven't played it, but I disagree that evaluating the true quality of GTA IV or Bioshock Infinite has anything to do with hindsight. I was bored with GTA IV half way through and very fed up with it by the end. And I was never at any point overly impressed by Bioshock Infinite.

I agree with GTA IV, I wasn't enjoying it about half way through and had to force myself to finish it.

Bioshock Infinite I did see the flaws of the game after I finished it, I wrote a review at the time for another forum and gave it 8/10 despite not really enjoying it from half way through

but a couple of months after I looked back and realised it was a bit shit, I've started to feel a bit the same recently about MGSV as well looking back.

Will that happen for Fallout 4?

Never say never, but I highly doubt it, its already engrossed me which is a good sign, and I can't stop thinking about playing it even when i'm not playing it, which to me is the sign of a good RPG (and a good game in general).

I was more hyped for this than any other game in the past 5 years at least, it has a lot more to live up to, but at the moment its met my expectations, it's not exceeded them though yet, I haven't been surprised or blown away by it (apart from the fantastic opening - god I wish Bethesda didn't spoil that at E3) and the side-quests and atmosphere have felt a bit lacking compared to The Witcher 3 so far, but I'm very early in.

Everything is built off the famous Bethesda template and F3, there's no surprises really, for fans of F3 like myself that's a good thing, Bethesda have expanded on their famous formula and perhaps made it the very best its ever been, but for some that won't be enough, for me though it is, I just hope the side-quests get better, that's my main complaint, the story is already showing more promise than F3 which is good but the side-quests and atmosphere have let the side down slightly.

Now time for an update....Did another 2 hours in the Commonwealth tonight, finished another story quest which led me into the base-building, I watched this excellent tutorial video from Ian Higton of Eurogamer:

Which explains everything simply and succinctly and away I went, I wasn't really interested in this aspect of the game before I started but I did want to give it a try, and boy, am I glad I did, it is so incredibly compelling. Just going around the town collecting scrap, demolishing dilapidated houses in Workshop mode, getting Steel/Wood/Cloth etc. to build things with was strangely satisfying and then when I collected everything I could I built 3 or 4 pre-fab shacks for my settlers, put in about 30 beds, built a water purifier, 2 generators, some lights, a couple of defence turrets and guard towers, incredibly cool stuff, strangely compelling and satisfying, must've spent about an hour at least just messing about with that.

After that I got a quest to go help out another settlement so I made my way over to the marker, discovering loads of locations along the way, met my first Super Mutants which I legged it from :lol: but didn't find anything too interesting really :( another Vault popped up on my compass so I'll have to try and find that tomorrow, the Vaults in F3 were some of the most interesting locales, more tomorrow!

6/10 total shite ;)

Another 5 hours played yesterday/today, made quite a lot of progress, did a couple of the Settlement quests, one was too hard so I left it but the other I finished and I got an offer from Preston to meet him for some big mission somewhere or something, will get round to that sometime, a lot more exploring as well, discovered a shit-ton more new areas again, only exploring the ones where I didn't get raped in and around the wilderness, then moved in towards the Boston itself for the first time, discovered a load of new areas here, did a bit of looting and exploring and then did my toughest Quest yet, it was damn cool, but pretty tough, used up loads of Ammo and Stimpaks but eventually made it, killed all the super mutants and completed it, after that I called it a day.

Desperately need to find some food for my Sanctuary settlement, but for the life of me I can't find anything anywhere so the number of settlers is currently dwindling and their happiness isn't great :( I keep looking everywhere for some carrots or anything I can plant, but I just can't find anything, guess I need to find some garden area or something somewhere, anyway, more tomorrow! :D