passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout 4

HandsomeDead

Sam wants meaningful feedback so I'll try and give some here.

It certainly is a follow up to Fallout 3 in that it is still that at it's core. You have a big, dilapidated open world for you to rummage through, explore and have your own little story. It's that stuff again.

But the introduction to this game makes it difficult to like. Your character and equipment just aren't up to snuff when you start off. I died a ridiculous amount on my first proper task, and even when I found a craftier way of completing the mission unforeseen things would happen and I'd have to go again. I just felt like the game was slapping my hand every time I tried something which didn't happen nearly as much in Fallout 3.

I also got attacked by a high level glowing Ghoul when I was minding my own business just after I'd talked to a merchant and was killed instantly... while on the main road just outside the starting area.

They have improved the shooting but it seems at the moment that V.A.T.S isn't as good so I'm unsure how to play it now. In F3 since the shooting was so shit I only ever used it as cover fire while V.A.T.S charged up then I'd go for a full attack but that doesn't seem to work as well here. During the mission mentioned previously I feel like it wanted me to go full CoD since enemies were lobbing grenades and molotovs like confetti and I just couldn't do anything about it. I just ran off.

Maybe it gets better as more unlocks become available but I don't remember being this frustrated during the intro of the previous Fallout games. They had their issues but not like this. It feels really slap dash and unconsidered.

But I think the game looks fine. It's the least of my worries.

Thing is, I can see things that are cool and looking at the perks I can see stuff potentially making the game less of a problem. It is a long game and it's easy to forget the early stages after playing it for 60 hours.

So I don't think there is anything fishy going on, I just don't think they made any notes of what they were experiencing at the start.

I think after a week and people still aren't happy with it then something fishy is happening.

So jealous of you guys getting it early, slightly regretting having to get my PBE from GAME but it'll hopefully be worth it in the long-term.

DC, in regards to you struggling early on, what difficulty are you playing on? Can you adjust the difficulty down in the pause menu like you could in F3?

I am playing it on normal. I could bump it down I guess.

I'm in the main part of Boston. There are mines everywhere and they're even harder to see. I'm not having the best time.

I dunno. I got to a settlement and enough story stuff happened to get me to give a shit but then it pulls this new trick from its sleave and my enthusiasm took another hit.

I think that seems to be exactly the thing, and I think a few reviewers might have been afraid to say that, and thought that things might improve. Its an age old problem with reviews but the scores do not go with the reviews they are paired with.

So did you guys that are playing get a massive patch then, or does that drop today?

Okay, I've had enough. This isn't for me. Maybe I wouldn't even like Fallout 3 now since I'm just not getting anything out of it. I'm just bored or frustrated.

I think I'd recommend The Witcher 3 over this any day and that wasn't my bag either but I see it as a much better RPG.

I'm not even bothered by bugs and stuff, I think at it's core is floundering bunch of systems that aren't fun to deal with. I get a headache just thinking about the crafting, and there is so little to play with in terms of abilities. I feel it will take tens of hours to reach the fun stuff.

The story is just too typical at this point as well. Yeah, people might get greedy in a new world, and some would go crazy. And remember; game developers are dads now so we're going down that road again.

Sorry if I sound dickish but I'm disappointed. It's going on the trade-in pile and not to be spoken of again.

It is a joke. Calm down.

At least it happened to you and not Blakey. I think he'd have an aneurysm if the game didn't turn out how he liked given how mental he's been going for it. I can just picture him putting his Pip Boy edition in the corner, each time he notices it there he wells up a bit and has to bite his lip to prevent himself from bursting into tears again.

Finally got around to playing this earlier tonight, went for a Female, balanced build, most stats in Intelligence, Charisma and strength, but evenly spread out really.

Incredibly impressive opening (kind of wish that hadn't been ruined for us at E3 now) and then the rest of the time was spent just getting my bearings, discovering new settlements and just general exploration, ditched the main story as soon as I got out the Vault :lol:

Incredibly impressed by it, you can see that they built on the Fallout 3 template, everything feels incredibly familiar (apart from the workshop stuff I guess but I haven't dabbled with that yet), all the systems in place, button placements on the controller, VATS, companions etc. and the way you discover new landmarks, quests and characters are almost identical, the graphics have obviously had a huge overhaul though, and whilst they aren't as mind-blowing as The Witcher 3 or something like it, but on PC it looks pretty damn amazing. The biggest change I found was the gunplay, miles better than F3/F:NV now, it feels like a proper FPS now and you can see the benefits of Id being a partner studio now.

Just going round exploring, the music on the radio the way everything happens, just feels so familiar it's like being welcomed home into this incredible world with open arms, couldn't have imagined it being any better, Bethesda GS have just absolutely knocked it out of the park.

It was impressive how much the voice adds to the experience, the entire opening I thought the addition of a protagonists voice just added to the drama, emotion and brevity of what was going on, I'm impressed by the vocal performance of the female actress thus far.

More tomorrow! :)

I played an hour and a bit of this and I think its okay so far. The main thing that made me want to pick it up was remembering the feeling of exploring a big open space and so far that's just as good as I had hoped it would be. Early days still though.

I had actually forgotten about that. DC and Nag can sit together in the rage trade corner!

The stuff like it being fallout 3.5 and bugs i thought would really annoy me but they dont bother me too much to be honest, however im still a bit angry about the reviews, its not a 9 guys, stop being silly. This game, more than any other is a game to read the review and ignore the score.

I had actually forgotten about that. DC and Nag can sit together in the rage trade corner!

The stuff like it being fallout 3.5 and bugs i thought would really annoy me but they dont bother me too much to be honest, however im still a bit angry about the reviews, its not a 9 guys, stop being silly. This game, more than any other is a game to read the review and ignore the score.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

I don't know who is actually giving these 9s to it. The video game people on my Twitter aren't even talking about it that much, or are just starting to play it themselves. It's the usual early review lot who get excited over everything. That's my take.

So is there a point in following the story up until a certain point or does it make no difference to do what you want when you want?

I never bothered playing the storyline missions in the Elder Scrolls games, but found it really difficult to go off and do my own thing in Fallout 3 until I'd done a few of Moira's missions in Megaton. Everything was too strong for me.

I don't know if this one will be the same, but it might be worth following the storyline for an hour or two.

Last night the game also pulled the classic stunt of ncp's firing guns that apparently have no ammunition... saw a Raider unleashing Fat Man missiles at Ghouls, he must have fired at least four or five, I take him out check his corpse and gun and they're empty... I then die and do it again without him firing a single shot... still empty...

That shits just annoying.

Perfectly fine when it was done in The Last of Us though. Just added to the gameplay there. /s