passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

Yeah this is the thing. I was happy with the originally spec'd Ryzen CPU and then this dude said he had a new sealed 8086K and would do me a great price on it. It knocks the ryzen out of the water but is more expensive.....will last me a good while if I can find the cash from somewhere though.

I basically need to re-do my list because Ive now got the CPU and GPU sorted, I can keep my SSD so the list is:

Motherboard

Ram

Power supply

Case

8086k isn't really any different from a 8700k (the 5ghz boost only happens on single core - so never really happens), unless you overclock as it should be better for that, but yeah still a great deal for £300!

I'm going to have to get a new one no matter what I upgrade too, so it's being factored in to the price when I upgrade.

As much as I want to spend stupid money on an i8 or an i9, I think I'll save myself the money and go for an AMD. It's not happening this year anyway, so even though people talking about it is giving me the itch, it's not happening any time soon

• 4 weeks later...

So to save me wading through the whole thread; anyone recommend a place to buy a ready built gaming PC? 

I'm thinking I want a new one. Got to convince the wife tho first ?

I built my last one but not sure I can be arsed doing it again ?

If it helps, I put the machine I roughly have specced out into chillblast and it comes in at about £1000, which means you're paying roughly £250 for someone to build it (although I did add a different cpu cooler instead of the stock one). Not a bad amount to save the hassle of doing it yourself.

Yeah that's about my break point where I'd consider it. Just finding time amongst the rest of the stuff I'm on with these days. 

I've broached the subject with the wife. She wants my old one for an office PC. 

Win ?

£250 to do it yourself? thats a relatively significant upgrade to a CPU or GPU, maybe a better hardrive, more RAM, etc. Dont forget the fact that if you are building a nice powerful PC, you will want a good monitor that reflects that and the £250 quid mark is goldust for good value, 1440p, 144hz monitors at the moment, Acer are putting out some lovely stuff.

Yeah but it's also extra masturbation time not having to deal with the gathering and research n connecting (although there's some rather enjoyable and pacifying about doing that). 

I've not decided yet. Got my CCTV and Shed to put up before I move onto this so haven't got into it. 

I was at the Meltdown gamer bar in Sheffield last night watching the Xbox conference. They had a few Chilliblast PC's I noticed ?

I bought a Dell laptop last year for £800 in one of their sales - i7 processor, 16 gig ram, 1060 maxQ 6gig graphics card. I swapped out the shitty SSD for a 970 Evo and it runs like shit off a shovel. My only niggle is the trackpad is crap, but I use a mouse anyway.