passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

• 1 month later...

I had an issue with my PC this morning, turned it on and a black screen and loud fans from the GPU. Took the GPU out and put in another PCI-e slot and it was fine, took it out again and put it back in the original slot and it's fine. PC is on its side now.

I haven't had an issue like that with this or my previous PC, I suppose it just got loose? I don't really know. My 2060 is a pretty big boy, my previous was an r9 390 which while large wasn't as heavy as this card maybe. Maybe I need legos too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They say in the video it's actually 2 PCs. One of them has this ridiculous Intel CPU with 18 cores 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-Processor/dp/B075XRYMDR

AFAIK that CPU may not even be an ideal gaming CPU except for really bleeding edge stuff that actually uses all those cores (Cyberpunk?). Which is why they throw in another system with an i9/i7, higher clocks/fewer cores. The first system would probably be great for other productivity driven users. Video editing and stuff

CPUs are weird cause some are better at certain tasks and worse at others. Everyone builds with AMD now, especially as they are supporting the PCI-e 4 standard before Intel (which is what PS5 uses for its SSD) and are just better value in general

That was great, Cavill seems like a cool guy. Someone on /pcmr pointed out that he could afford to spend thousands on a super pc that some one could build for him, but he's got something that is really well spec'd for gaming without being ridiculous and he's built it himself (keeping in mind, this would still be about £2k in parts…) apparently he's really into Warhammer total war.

yeah it's cool that the witcher builds pc's, but the main thing i take from that is a question - can't you change the direction of the numbers in software? i'm going to guess you can but don't care enough to look into it.

Just now, spatular said:

yeah it's cool that the witcher builds pc's, but the main thing i take from that is a question - can't you change the direction of the numbers in software? i'm going to guess you can but don't care enough to look into it.

Apperently not (well you can, but only +/- 90 degrees), instead to have to flip the graphic you want displayed (which is you are displaying sys info, I'm guessing you can't do either). Seems like an obvious flaw.

I am tempted by an NZXT cooler (nothing that fancy) but they do look a pain to install

oh good info!

i'm sure they're fine as loads of people use them but i don't like the idea of water in my pc, air cooling all the way for me. (edit - although there might already be some water in there but it's sealed away in metal so isn't as bad :unsure:)

• 1 month later...

2 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Chunky Boi just want to deliver frames. And a huge electricity bill, looking at the size of the bastard.

In a few years when they release a version of this thing which is smaller and more power efficient it will be amazing, don't get me wrong. But no framerate is worth the bill that chonky boi will generate or how much you'll sweat in its vicinity lol.