passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

Did someone say there was a PC games thread? I can’t find it.

Anyway I just realised I’ll finally be able to try Star Wars The Old Republic MMO. The Xbox games are two of the best RPG’s ever and I was always disappointed I couldn’t play the MMO. Granted it is an MMO so I don’t expect to be on par with the originals but still want to try it regardless. 

But I wonder what you have to do to get in to a 10 year old MMO. Is that usually a hard challenge? 🤔

PC bucket, search it.

As for Star Wars, I imagine it's pretty single player at this point. They usually tune lower population MMOs to be more single player friendly but obviously you would still be playing it online.

From what I checked of it, it didn't seem that good. But what do I know lol

You want to talk about arcane MMOs with a tough exterior, wait until you download FFXI. The installing process itself is like it's own kind of raid

Got it plugged in and setting it up. I set it up through HDMI, and it flashed on the screen for a second and then said no signal, so had to put it in another HDMI port but it’s fine? Don’t like it didn’t recognise the first one, though. I’ve also got so many cables and stuff all over the place from these boxes I don’t know what to do with. Maybe I’ll understand later.

Anyway ahhh I’ve got a desktop. What do I do first? 

Yo I'm coming at you live from the PC y'all look so weird and different now 

How do I test that everything is working properly? I guess I'm going to have to move this to the help thread and not the buying one 

Look it’s you guys. How you doing guys you all looking sexy today if you don’t mind me saying

FHIc1PTXMAIA_35?format=jpg&name=large

Well, they did stress tests for you. Probably ran furmark and stuff. You could do the same, but I dunno if there's much value in it. 

Honestly, Cyberpunk 2077 is its own stress test. Only game to make my PSU fan actually make noise

But download steam, buy the games you want, check stuff out that way. Steam has built in controller support so you don't need to go around looking for lots of stuff.

The HDMI should be fine, these new RTX cards are 2.1. The display port one wont do 4k 120 I believe, but the HDMI will

Cyberpunk £50 😭 Where are these cheap prices I was hearing about

It was weird. It showed the options for a minute. Then said no signal. Plugged it in to a different HDMI port on the PC and it worked. Hope it's not broke 

Hmm. No sound. Problem no 2 

HDMI does sound, you don't need a sound card.

Plug headphones into the monitor, or directly into the case itself. Or the motherboard might have sound out.

Or just plug it into a TV, it will work the same as console. I do not have a sound card, nobody buys sound cards anymore. Dedicated sound processing hardware hasn't been a thing since Thief in the 90s (sadly)

Speaking of, all my PC recommendations are going to be old boomer games. Not new stuff

Maf I bumped the Questions thread. IMO, spend the afternoon figuring out the shit you dont get and dump it in one big post because there will be a lot to figure out. It's going to be weird to get used to for a while. But your monitor not having speakers is not surprising, even if it did have speakers they would be so shit you would not want to use them. It's going to be headphones, external speakers, or whatever you are using on your TV imo

29 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I know folks are joking but CDkeys is legit. Great site.

They are reputable enough, but 'legit' remains a bit hazy - since they essentially sell keys from cheaper overseas markets (which were never destined to be sold as such in UK etc) - a bit like setting up a different region account on your PS or Xbox to buy cheaper deals from their respective regional stores - so there is a small risk that one day someone could challenge whatever you've bought, if it wasn't being used in its intended region.