passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

How long is the PC troubleshooting thread gonna be I wonder.

PCs can have the most arcane weird shit to troubleshoot. I had GG Strive crashing for about a week until I learned that the engine was interacting badly with the audio out on the Series X controller, it couldn't figure out where to send audio. You have to be Inspector Clueso to figure out some of that shit.

Diff between PC and console is like 5 frames. 

But anyway, expect weird shit like this. Weird things like residual drivers from some USB device you installed years ago causing weird interactions with bluetooth, or just in general bluetooth not being as good on PC as on console. Although the latter really depends on your local network I guess. For some reason on mine I have to use wired controllers

Also I had the hitbox preordered before that. It took a month from ordering before it even got dispatched. About as long as you're going to have to wait for your PC

To be clear tho not trying to neg the purchase lol. The advantages make up for it tho, the 'quick select' feature that xbox has got nothing on ol faithful 'alt tab into different program'

I think getting it in time for Christmas is going to be really tight. How busy are the post and delivery services going to be. And they only *should* be sending it on the 20th. I think any delay will set it back to January. 

You'll probably do this anyway but make sure to take photos of the PC as soon as it arrives. It will have plexiglass so you can get a good picture of the innards. But I'd even say remove the plexiglass and take a picture of everything you can see. 

I don't know what the warranty is with scan, but they are assembling this thing for you and it's good to have evidence of stuff in case something goes wrong.

The thing has liquid cooling, this is a thing that comes to mind. Apparently the reason they dont put air coolers in configurators is they are more likely to dislodge and fuck things up in transit. But I reckon water cooling is also something that this could happen with

edit I've thought of another thing too. XMP, a setting you have to enable in bios to get your advertised memory frequencies. Sometimes these people assembling will forget to enable it. Easy enough to do though, but I remember tons of ppl couldn't run Ass Creed Valhalla cause they didn't have this turned on

I was watching a hardware unboxed video today that suggests it's a thing that they often don't do

(Dont worry too much about the clickbait thumbnail. They're just playing the algorithm game, your computer is fine lol)

A reason could be that sometimes they need to actually update the bios first, but certain sticks might not be compatible with XMP on certain boards and other weird shit like this.

imo you're going to end up needing to look at stuff like bios settings eventually. The nitty gritty wont' be something you can always avoid, again imo

But you'll be able to tell if its enabled by opening task manager and reading your RAM speeds in there. You can do this on your laptop right now to see how it's done. CTRL ALT DEL -> performance -> Ram, on your PC you will want to see 3200mhz I think

9 hours ago, Maf said:

Nice. What did you get, Sly?

PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, 6 Cores / 12 Threads, 3.7 - 4.6GHz
Power Supply: NZXT C850 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
CASE: NZXT H510 Tempered Glass Case - Black
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS Motherboard (I actually had to change this for the next one up for compat reasons, ended up with the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-e)
COOLER: NZXT Kraken X53 240mm CPU Cooler
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)
Case Cooling: Quiet Cooling Fans Replacement Pack
OS Drive: 250GB Seagate FireCuda 510 M.2 PCIe SSD
Solid State Drives: 2TB Samsung 870 QVO Solid State Drive

As for pics, I put one in my discord. I can't be fucked wrestling with the forum to get a picture uploaded as it usually spits it back out.

Ayyye my monitor turned up today (The PC desk is in the box behind it)

FFDohXFXwAUUha7?format=jpg&name=large

The new internet port and plug socket is installed, the desk is here, now the monitor is here. Just got to wait a month to connect it altogether 😶

I really want 2 monitors because that’s what I have at work and like that set up but that can wait until later

I have the 1440p version of this monitor. It's very good. Tho I do find now that I notice when things have a backlight while I didn't before. Goes up to 165hz refresh rate but after 120 the difference is unnoticeable (maybe even after 90)

IMO though, don't neglect to find a way to plug this PC into an OLED at some point. 4k, clean OLED visuals & locked 120fps is something worth seeing.

Also when I looked at your basket Guardians of the Galaxy was the bundle in game I saw. I'm just gonna say, play that one on OLED for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a bit dubious about this PC order. Originally it was supposed to start being built on the 16/12/21 and shipped on the 20/12/21. Because it has to go through 9 steps before shipping they email me updates on each step it has reached. Anyway they started building it yesterday, I got the email to say that, great. But already it's completed steps 8 out of 9. One of those steps being a 24 hour burn/soak stress test or something. Err...

Either 1 of 2 things are happening. They put it together real fast yesterday and started the stress test yesterday and I'm only getting the email updates now. Or it's so close to Christmas they're like fuck it just get it out.

Now it's supposed to be shipped today. Which is good but I'd rather it arrive later and done properly than fast and broke