passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

This shit getting more expensive. I just organised an electrician to come around and run me a internet wire from my hallway, through the loft and to where the PC is going to be and a new double socket for £140.

And my desk arrived yesterday which cost me £90 

😢

It’s not so much the distance but the awkwardness and ugliness of running a wire through my hallway and around my front room. 

Also apparently my fuse box is unsafe as fuck so zi need to email the council about it. The last sticker to say it was checked was 2003 lol

I emailed the company over the weekend to ask a few final questions about the order. They said because the 3080 is on pre-order basis they can give me absolutely no time frame as to when the PC can be built and delivered…so like, I can order it now and get it in 2 years time? Like what. I emailed back and said can you give me any kind of time frame at all. Waiting on reply.

I also asked about the home installation extra and what that includes. It’s literally £79 for pugging it in and connecting a monitor and such. I thought it would be actually setting the computer up and getting it running. I don’t need you to put the cables in for me, I need help after the part where you get the power on.

So guess might save me £79 there

I watched this video on how to set up a PC

I’ve got nothing to put a USB in and download stuff too. That is why I’m getting a PC. 

I’m sure if you know about PC’s and what is required this is not usually hard. But every step of this process is annoying. I’m having to move my whole house around, to get something I don’t know when I can get it, for when I do get it I don’t know how to use it. 

Ho,ho,ho I love jumping through hoops bring me more hoops

You thought getting a PS5 was tough, hoo boy. 

Actually I thought you would already have had a good chance of having the 3080 in it cause it's a prebuilt. If not, well the 3080 launched September of last year I think. They have been virtually impossible to get a hold of since then. I tried for a while. They would pop up on online stores and vanish within seconds even if you set up an alert. Because people are mining crypto with them.

But at the same time I would expect people making prebuilts to have that stuff reserved. So when it comes in it should come in.

I really do want a PC because there’s lots of stuff I want to do with it. Gaming is the main focus but work stuff and other projects as well. Maybe do an online course and see if I can finish my AAT and such. 

But this is so much hassle I’m also tempted to say fuck it and come back to it next year. 

Although will the situation even be better next year, it doesn’t seem like it

I didn’t order it, I just emailed them first

That original motherboard you put in that said was out of stock is back in stock 01/12 so maybe I can go back to that

Even if they said the 3080 would be available by January or something I would be like Ok. But I’m not putting £2000 down for something with no time frame at all

Find out when they take the money I guess, or if they will notify when the money goes out. But I'll say if you want to get one of these you might need to put a deposit down at least.

You won't be able to get a 3080 system just randomly and that's not going to change for the 4080 either I bet. People can't buy these at all and it's not cause of how much they cost

I don’t mind putting the money down first but I need some kind of time frame. 2 months, 3 months, 6 months (no) I need some kind of expectation. Can’t just say that will be £2500, when can I expect it, I dunno we’ll see. 

EDIT: There’s a actually a more expensive ASOS 3080 on there which isn’t pre-order, but it’s £300 extra. Oi vey

Here was their response

Thank you for your email.

I wish I could give you a rough ETA but any rough ETA I give you would be inaccurate and I do not wish to give you inaccurate ETA.

The technician will set it all up for you and BIOS does not need any configuration as the system has been built and tested, they will connect it to the monitor and set up the user account for you.

In reference to the second part - Ahh nice! Definitely don’t need the installation help then.

For the 3080 ETA part…do I just order the ASUS one? I mean it’s only an extra £300 at this point do I give a shit I’m not sure