passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

PC gaming is expensive, especially right now. But that's a super high tier system. There's one tier of GPU above the 3080 I think and the difference between them is marginal.

But you should do what you want, I know that's what I did when I bought this OLED. I ain't doing fuck all with my social life these days so why not.

If I was you, I'd get a bare SSD for the OS, and then chuck a bigger SSD in for games.

SSD's wear and having games pulling on them can cause them to break, and it's not like a HDD where a break can reclaim the data, when an SSD goes bang it goes bang. No going back.

I'll be building soon, I have a fund of 2 grand. the scarcity of GPU's has made me stall but I'm fed up of waiting.

I don't want to be a bit of a killjoy (but I am going to be, maybe a bit patronising as well, but I don't mean it like that) but you should probably do a bit more research into how this stuff works as well dude. It's a lot of money to drop on something. I'm still a pretty new PC gamer myself, but I have worked in IT for ever and I've found it a pretty steep learning curve in getting everything to play nice together (albeit I did build my machine myself so a lot of what I learnt was around that). 90% of the time pc gaming feels about as straight forward as console gaming, but when stuff goes wrong, or doesn't work as you expect, it does take time and patience to sort it out.

I would hang fire if I where you, make sure you're happy with it, I'd feel bad if 6 - 12 months down the line you've got something that you hate or are frustrated with.

I appreciate that advice, I think that’s good to say. I wasn’t trying to blow out on cash I was just looking at what I thought good gaming PC’s were. I didn’t realise that was a Lamborghini. I also didn’t “build” that PC, that was just one they were selling and I added the capture card and the PSU. 

It’s not like I’m buying it tomorrow anyway. I’ve still got a measure up for a computer desk first. I couldn’t be at an earlier stage of getting a PC.

I’ve been thinking about getting a PC for a while because I’ve got my mind set on streaming BotW2. But everytime I looked at a PC all the numbers, letters and decisions made me shut off. So I thought I would just ask here instead and be like hey what the fuck is this.

I also thought about building my own to save on money. But I am so useless with my hands I know I’ll end up busting it. I’ve brought video game Collector’s Edition boxes before and broke what’s in them getting them out of the box. I’m properly useless.

Wasn’t going to risk that with bits this expensive. That’ll be frustrating. 

53 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

if I'm reading the specs correctly on that build you linked to, it's got a 500gb NVMe (a REALLY fast one), then an additional 2tb NVMe.

oh cool i didnt see it already had 2 drives, yeah i agree no need for more.

yeah like people are saying you dont need to spend that much, this should play anything you throw at it pretty well, just not as well

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/horizon-5-intel-rtx-3060-ti-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-10400f-29ghz-3799302

@Maf
please do keep asking questions on here as well, we've got a pretty good wealth of people on here who know alot about this stuff. I'm absolutely not saying don't get one, I think you'd get great value out of it, and if you have the money then why not? Just make sure you're sure is what I'm saying, I think. Hope I didn't sound like I was trying to talk you out of it. On the plus side, with this build you rule out the problem of buying a pc and immediately looking at what to upgrade on it for at least 2 years.

The thing about doing the self build is it exposes you more to how the parts interconnect, and if something does go wrong youll be a bit more informed to detect where it might be happening. Consoles are a black box and when something happens its off to Sony and hope that youre in warranty. With a PC you should know the part to declare warranty on, (well actually with a prebuilt that is probably not the case)

That probably sounds daunting but its fun to figure out how all that stuff goes together. Putting the cpu in and applying the thermal paste, thats a very cool ritual to undergo. At some point even if you buy a prebuild you might need to replace that thermal paste. It can degrade over time. Its not difficult, but an example of where you need to go around inside. I dont think you can really avoid this aspect of PC too much, or at least I dont think its a great idea imo. 

PC gaming is great, nowhere near as limiting as console gaming. You can turn vsync off and get way better input latency. You can turn off stupidly taxing effects (or turn them on for poggers graphics). None of these stupid paygating subscriptions for online and you can run all sorts of different programs that enhance stuff. You can alt tab into discord from a game and join a voice channel seamlessly for whatever community you're playing with, which actually got me back into PC in the first place. But you have to accept that the hardware and software of PC is much more finnicky. Its kinda something you should imo make some effort to get into or at least prepare to put up with. But thats just my opinion. Definitely agree tho that its a sleep on it kinda purchase, especially at that tier. 

imo, watch some digital foundry videos. People meme on pc people analysing frame rates but it's precisely cause of this financial and time investment (as well as maintenance) that people are so anal about it.

Also with the desk talk there, you can and should plug a 3080 PC into an OLED if you're playing Cyberpunk. I guess windows has that burn in risk, but you can disable lots of UI on windows. Or just go into big picture all the time

omg i had too many single quotes in my post again that took so long to edit 😭

7 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm looking forward to the monitor conversation 😅  personally I'm refresh rate over resolution, but with RT gaming it feels like framerates aren't getting as high (Doom Eternal aside), so maybe a massive 4k curved thing?

This all the way. I've seen Sea of Thieves on both condole and PC running flat out and the PC version is gorgeous running at 144. Some games look better than real life, even ones that you wouldn't expect. Stuff like Rocket League look completely exceptional, so slick.

Witcher 3 is another one of those 'most improved' games. The PS version of that is running on a mix of low and medium settings. PC you go all the way to ultra. Tho it doesn't hold a candle to a PS5 game, needs some RT

PC is getting ports of PS4 games as well now that should be much better than the PS5 'remasters' (ports). On that it's nice to not have to constantly pay for constant upgrades and ports with minor enhancements cause you get them with hardware upgrades on PC

I’m not going to use my TV for the PC as I’m probably going to want to work on the PC as well, so what monitors do people recommend? Brands, specs, price, etc. What’s good?

EDIT: Dunno if I’m looking at the Lambo again but I kind of like this Samsung one. 175hz, 1440p, Freesync, HDR. Sounds good to me. Although the wide screen and size is ridiculous. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Odyssey-LC34G55TWWRXXU-Curved-Monitor/dp/B08WX14CMM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=pc+monitors+120hz&qid=1633271411&qsid=262-6871419-0793002&s=computers&sr=1-8&sres=B088P3LSVP%2CB086M269P3%2CB075JGL4WV%2CB08WWMN66K%2CB08WX14CMM%2CB07PFJH2YX%2CB08CRF7ZBC%2CB08WWH5Z2M%2CB08X1L6GYT%2CB088LYZYKX%2CB08V85DH1R%2CB08YNLW6WC%2CB08WWL7CC9%2CB08ZZ17DZQ%2CB08WX6ZDTY%2CB07XS9N2CL%2CB01MD1GDWK%2CB079HV1TDC%2CB07W81B99G%2CB085CXHTC3&srpt=MONITOR

IMO, you should spend even more money and get this. Otherwise are you even gaming

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/pro-display-xdr

But anyway, don't get lured into the 'HDR' on PC monitors. If they aren't OLED the HDR is probably not very good. Almost all monitors will offer you just the SDR experience, the nits don't go above 400. You will be let down by the picture quality, but again lots of these high spec PCs are pretty great on a TV

But gsync/freesync you definitely want, it makes PC gaming so much nicer. You know how people complain about twiddling graphics settings? The reason VRR is such a big deal on PC while a relatively small deal on console is it completely liberates you from having to worry as much about that stuff cause you're not locked to 60fps or whatever. Definitely make sure what you get has that as an option IMO

This is what I have, the link says OOS. It's an old enough model by now though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PG279Q-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B017EVR2VM

Also imo, with a 3080 I think 4K could be the way to go. Unless a game has high end ray tracing a 3080 at 1440 could be like driving a Lamborghini down a cul de sac.

I can’t find 4K at high frame rate, though (Well there was one but it was over a £1000 and no). Which is why I was going for a balance of high frame rate but 1440p. I definitely want gsync and freesync. Not sure what one is more relevant though. Thanks for the heads up on HDR I won’t worry about that then

It will also work with freesync, but only certain types of freesync. It's very confusing, and sometimes they are labelled gsync to compensate for that confusion (which is even more confusing, cause they aren't actually gsync)

LG's OLED tvs are like this, they say gsync on the box but it's actually AMD Freesync in the menu.

Are there any extra things to know or consider when getting a PC? For me the check list is computer desk, chair, PC, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Is that it or is there anything else to consider in terms of basics? Am I overlooking something? Do I need internet cables, adaptors for playing games with a controller, or anything else you can think of. 

Also in terms of set up, because I’ve never owned any PC before, what do I want on the PC. The one I think I’m buying comes with Windows 10 installed. In terms of big, priority software/things a PC needs to run well and securely is there anything else? 

Also how hard is it to set a PC up? 

If logistically possible I'd absolutely plug it in via an ethernet cable, particularly if you want to go streaming and stuff. WiFi is just garbage, always has been, (probably) always will be. You'll also HDMI cables to connect your consoles to your capture card, but I suppose you knew that already. To connect controllers you'l need a bluetooth adapter as well.

Antivirus is some bullshit for cowards 👎

If your PC doesn't have a wireless card or in built wifi on the motherboard you will need ethernet cables, but as a general rule I think you should use ethernet anyway if it's an option within your living space. Even with a powerline adapter. I've personally had some flakiness with wireless on my PC but ymmv. 

That wireless flakiness also extends to wireless controllers, sadly. There is an official adapter for series x/xbone controllers, didn't make much difference for me though. I think the bluetooth stack in PC isn't the same as on console and is worse than the proprietary solutions they have

The reviews on that samsung monitor seem pretty bad btw, lots of ppl complaining about motion blur.

How hard is a pc to set up? If you're building it yourself it's an afternoon project, maybe longer. 

Also when you set it up in the OS you should turn on ultra low latency and turn off vsync for guilty gear and you'll finally be able to jump from command grabs

34 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

also HDMI cables to connect your consoles to your capture card, but I suppose you knew that already. 

No. I thought I would plug the consoles in to the PC

I also thought the capture card would capture video of games I was playing on the PC naturally 

There’s no good way to run an internet cord from my hallway to where the PC is going to be. I will need to think about that one.