passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

You're fucked for buying a graphics card in the current climate, but you don't need a 3080 anyway. I also don't think the situation is gonna alleviate much soon. The RRP on the 3080 was originally supposed to be about 600 pounds I believe, to put it into perspective. Which ended up being around what I payed for a 3070, it is just such a shit time to get into PC unfortunately.

But It comes down to what you really want, do you want something which can outperform a PS5 or Series X. Cause the value proposition there is not great and you might need to adjust expectations or be an absolute cunt and spend obscene money. Those systems can be considered pretty bleeding edge for how much they cost. But what you can do is focus on getting a really good CPU & mobo combo (for example) and saving some money on a GPU in the meantime and look to upgrade to something more high end in a few years down the line.

On the GPU side here's the thing about ray tracing, PC goes way farther than consoles with ray tracing. But it still isn't quite good enough. You have to make lots of compromises and use weird image reconstruction stuff like DLSS. So if you aren't fussed about RT that's a sacrifice you can make. 

For CPU it's an easy recommendation, go with AMD. They are top dog right now, try and look up 8 core 16 thread CPUs. You probably rolled your eyes at that sentence, so I will tell you that the 3700x is the CPU I bought for my brother and is basically a somewhat faster PS5/Series X CPU. For the more modern gen, I think it's the 5800x. Pretty big price increase though. But CPUs aren't nearly as difficult to get a hold of as GPUs, it's a much more 'normal' market.

When you buy a CPU it has certain constraints though, you have to buy a 'matching' motherboard for Intel/AMD and their specific generations. I can't remember but I think RAM has certain compatibility constraints too. But you can just post what you're looking at in this thread and someone on here can tell you anyway. Or use a site like pcpartpicker, but I would trust spatular over that website lol. So while that is the most weird and convoluted part of pc building it's easy enough to check that you're on the right track. Also if you literally click on the amazon page for those AMD cpus I mention it will say 'customers also viewed this and that'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-5800X-Processor-Cache/dp/B0815XFSGK

eg, so for that cpu this motherboard will work 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GAMING-EDGE-Motherboard-802-11AC/dp/B07T8HJVY8/ref=pd_sbs_7/262-1310653-1509955?pd_rd_w=o2oQZ&pf_rd_p=81b5b96c-ae50-4587-83b6-6d89886bbdbf&pf_rd_r=PSTWKM54BMHWTCCA0323&pd_rd_r=c8f866e9-3938-4fd3-8be2-c222a598284b&pd_rd_wg=9xUVk&pd_rd_i=B07T8HJVY8&psc=1

PSU (that means power supply, cause PC's need power don't they), don't buy gigabyte. Just google gigabyte PSU and you will see why. Do not skimp on this part, you don't want to half ass the PSU. I'm actually not entirely sure what the best options are here tbh. These are another component tho that the prices and availability are way out of whack with the way they used to be

Buying prebuilt can be a mixed bag. I know there's lots of content creators that just go that route and it seems to work fine. You hear horror stories sometimes tho about parts getting destroyed in transit. Maybe these horror stories are overstated though. However prebuilt might also be your only option to get a ray tracing capable GPU right now.

When it comes to not making a mess of your cables and not being lazy about your build, Jimbos your guy.

On prebuilts, OC have this configurator 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/configurator

You can just use dropdowns and have them build it for you. Cant advise if that's the best way or not but it might be the only way to get RTX cards now

What about if I went with this one and paid the extra for a 3080 am I good?

https://store.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-watercooled-amd-x570-ryzen-pro-gaming-configurator-fs-01c-tl.html?configurator_state_form[slots][153867][sku]=CA-77L-LL&configurator_state_form[slots][153868][sku]=BU-01T-EK&configurator_state_form[slots][153873][sku]=BU-025-EK&configurator_state_form[slots][153874][sku]=BU-0DS-TL&configurator_state_form[slots][153869][sku]=CP-3CD-AM&configurator_state_form[slots][153872][sku]=WC-9PH-EK&configurator_state_form[slots][153870][sku]=MB-351-MS&configurator_state_form[slots][153871][sku]=MY-4A5-CS&configurator_state_form[slots][153888][sku]=GX-1C0-GI&configurator_state_form[slots][153875][sku]=HD-56J-WD&configurator_state_form[slots][153876][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153877][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153878][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153879][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153880][sku]=CA-03A-KK&configurator_state_form[slots][153883][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153882][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153881][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153884][sku]=SW-18A-MS&configurator_state_form[slots][153885][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153890][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153889][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153891][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153892][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153893][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153887][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153886][sku]=&configurator_state_form[slots][153866][sku]=CB-107-AK&configurator_state_form[_token]=nVv3l-Q9aq7hk-7S1BoQkwtT3pLQv8fqf8Xpg0mPQrM&configurator_state_form[groupKey]=

I don’t know why that link is so long

The things I really want a PC for is to stream BotW2 and play some super powerful games like Cyberpunk and stuff. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I'd have spent the extra £40 and got the next CPU.

I'd have put a larger SSD in there too, your OS and Cyberpunk are going to take a lot of that, and given you're capturing eventually I'd put a 2nd drive in there. Save yourself money and just get an SSD rather than NVMe though, that would be plenty fast enough for what you're wanting

tbh though, SSDs are easy to fix, just need a cable, and it's not like this is a bad machine, far from it, but it's very weighted to the graphics card. That said, I wish I had that card, I'm a long way away from saving for that, so I'm jealous 😄

What do people think about gigabyte GPUs? Their 2060 that I bought made weird 'cracking' sounds when it got heated up (and the temps weren't super high or anything). I never learned what it was, I assume something was expanding inside. It's one reason why I upgraded so quickly tbh.

I'd say forget about the water cooling. Water cooling is one of those things that would give me the heebie jeebies when trusting a courier with it. I don't think you need it unless you are a hardcore overclocker. Is there anyway on that configurator to choose an air cooler instead though because I can't see any? 

NVME m.2 isn't really a required component on PC games just yet, it's only PS5 exclusives that are really using that tech to any kind of level imo. It'll be a big thing eventually, but not just yet. However it could be good to get one so you have your operating system installed on it. Having fast windows boot times is very nice. But for gaming, very little value so far. If money is no object tho I would go for it cause you're gonna want one eventually

I've never heard of kolink, look up some reviews on the PSU. You would need at least 850w anyway for that kinda machine. Seasonic have some issues with the power draw of high end RTX (it triggers a safety mechanism which shuts down the PC cause it can't believe how much power is being drawn or something like that). Again PSU is the area where I am hyper paranoid and over compensate by paying a bit too much too get more reputable brands. 

Consider posting this on a pc building subreddit as well. Also you might be able to cut some cost there by picking a less posh PC case

@Maf well, I'd change the NVMe you have to the one below, only £7 more and it's the same thing but twice the storage

WD Blue SN550 500GB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS500G2B0C)

Then I'd add to that a 2.5" SSD, the cheaper 500gb/512gb one, you don't have any games as of yet, so you're probably not going to fill it particularly quickly, and it's plenty fast enough to capture footage to. Just don't play a game off it and capture to it if you can help it, you'll get issues with the record most likely

tbh, I'd take @one-armed dwarf advice and drop the 3080 for a 3070, save yourself a ton. You probably don't need the water cooling on the CPU either, you aren't going to overclock it, although I do 100% get the appeal

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

What do people think about gigabyte GPUs? Their 2060 that I bought made weird 'cracking' sounds when it got heated up (and the temps weren't super high or anything). I never learned what it was, I assume something was expanding inside. It's one reason why I upgraded so quickly tbh.

I've had 2 cards from them and both have been pretty good, no whine or odd sounds. My old motherboard was them too, that was absolutely fine too

The only question I would have there is if the 750W PSU is enough to power that system.

Nvidia says it is however, they should know I suppose. Maybe do a google/reddit search on 'corsair rm 750 80 plus rtx 3080', see if it all checks out

Everything else there seems pretty poggers. Assuming money is no object, cause 

Joker-burning-money.jpg

Elgatos are finnicky btw, I have one and found it pretty poggers then I got a 3070 and I literally can't fit the capture card in anymore. The chassis of RTX cards are fucking enormous and go right up against the capture card

here's what I mean. See how close the slot is to the GPU? The capture card used to go in there, but can't anymore without blocking the fans

You can get PCI extender cables for that though. Maybe larger cases/motherboards are on offer on that site also

20201102_134724.jpg

not sure if someones already mentioned this but sometimes the pre-built ones let you buy them without windows, save £100, then buy a windows key for a few quid from ebay, if you're up for installing windows yourself that is.

edit - yeah i'd stick another 1tb ssd in there, 500gb isn't much with windows and a few games on it

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Do you think I should add Hard Disk Storage or Solid State Storage to that PC? I don’t know what the difference is between that and the M.2 Storage

M.2 is NVMe, it's the fastest but the most expensive, it's what the new consoles use. SSD (you'll usually see 2.5" or Sata mentioned) is a solid state, same principle as the NVMe, older tech, slower but still plenty fast enough. If you're going to add a spare drive that's what I'd add tbh

I don't know the context but Hard Disk will likely refer to the old style hard drives. they've basically how vinyls work, the drive spins to get the 'needle' to the information it needs. These are the slowest as SSD/NVMe just go straight to the information. You can usually tell that it's an old style HDD because it will be 3.5", or have something like 52000 or 72000 rpm, which is how fast the drive spins

if I'm reading the specs correctly on that build you linked to, it's got a 500gb NVMe (a REALLY fast one), then an additional 2tb NVMe. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just excessive given you're coming at this fresh. Like, no one here would recommend it, but if you're happy paying for it, why not? It's a lot of space and it's really fast, apart from the cost what's not to like? 🤷‍♂️ 

I will say though, you don't need to add any more. For reference, I've got 4 drives in my pc, a 250gb SSD that the OS is on, which still has 86gb free. A 250gb SSD just for music, a 500gb that's just from my last build, has a handful of games on, then a 1tb NVMe drive that's basically a Steam folder, that's got nearly 400gb free. What's already in that build is more than you'll need for quite a while

13 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

if I'm reading the specs correctly on that build you linked to, it's got a 500gb NVMe (a REALLY fast one), then an additional 2tb NVMe. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just excessive given you're coming at this fresh. Like, no one here would recommend it, but if you're happy paying for it, why not? It's a lot of space and it's really fast, apart from the cost what's not to like? 🤷‍♂️ 

I will say though, you don't need to add any more. For reference, I've got 4 drives in my pc, a 250gb SSD that the OS is on, which still has 86gb free. A 250gb SSD just for music, a 500gb that's just from my last build, has a handful of games on, then a 1tb NVMe drive that's basically a Steam folder, that's got nearly 400gb free. What's already in that build is more than you'll need for quite a while

Ok, great. I won’t add anymore then (Makes it significantly cheaper). I only ask because I honestly don’t know. I know the M.2 said it had GB’s on it. But that could mean anything I have no idea.

So that PC with the added Algato capture card and the upgraded PSU is only £2700 odd. I just need a monitor and a desk. I came in to this with about £3000 or a bit over in mind so I guess I could buy this. 

Now I just got to work up the courage to click buy lol