passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

Yeah like Jimbo says some splitters or something like this, you can get ones that take extra power from the psu too in case the fans need more power or something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VanDeSaiL-cooling-Sleeved-Braided-Computer/dp/B07BLRQ4YW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Pc+fan+splitter&qid=1599355025&sr=8-4

ethernet not working might be needing motherboard drivers?

The ethernet was working just not if it was connected to the WiFi extender 

I think that splitter is one I was looking at last night @spatular what I'm a little concerned about is that the front fan that's plugged in isn't working but I suppose if I go straight from the power supply it's irrelevant 

I booted the new Mafia 2 remake. It didn't take long for the fans to start making a lot of noise, which I'm hoping is just because the front fans aren't on or it's the cpu fan settling in. I was getting over 250fps at one point though, so I'm pretty sure my old cpu was holding me back a bit 

ah right, i didn't understand the ethernet thing.

this is the sort of thing that runs fans from the psu, but you won't be able to control the speed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/15-Pin-Sleeved-Power-Adapter-Cable/dp/B085S4RDH4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1UCE1WXEEDJQP&dchild=1&keywords=sata+to+fan&qid=1599392277&sprefix=sata+%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-3

there's a switch on the cpu fan - high/low, i had mine on high at first but it was a bit annoying so turned it down to low - not sure if that's the same thing you're having with the fan noise.

edit - these ones plug into one fan header on the motherboard to get the speed info, and into the psu for power - sounds like this one is just full power for 3 pin fans though, so needs 4 pin fans to work properly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-FH-10-Integrated-Controller-Motherboard/dp/B077YHLDSP/ref=bmx_6/260-5173136-1751026?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077YHLDSP&pd_rd_r=9a3af119-7bae-4635-a2b7-43b8253dec16&pd_rd_w=RSPTN&pd_rd_wg=6EKnn&pf_rd_p=a0d7b22f-a5f7-4059-a9d8-a7437bd23eb2&pf_rd_r=DBPWY6XP7JCA2B0FZMWC&psc=1&refRID=DBPWY6XP7JCA2B0FZMWC

At the risk of being another person chipping in on this, I had to set up my fan curves in the bios as well (you can also manage it in the amd software from desktop) as by default they where constantly shooting up to 100%. I don't think it was particularly hard to set up, if I remember it has profiles then I just tweeted them.

no I appreciate the advice.

the fan is set to L on the CPU, I noticed that before putting it in, not seen it on a CPU fan before. I've been in to the bios, looks like it's set to quiet to me, but it's only kicking up during load, not constantly.

I've tried connecting the front fans to a couple of the other slots and nothing. I've noticed the power LED isn't working either, so maybe this motherboard just doesn't like my case ?‍♂️

I got some advice from the IT guy at work about my computer. He seemed to think it was a motherboard fault so it's not moderating the cpu fans, meaning when they kick up there's nothing telling them to stop. 

I bought that sata adapter for the front fans, fitted that and left the side off to make sure they worked. They did so I booted Mafia 2 again, seemed fine so I put the side back on loosely and but pretty soon the fans kicked up again. 

I moved some wires so I could get a better look and heard a clicking. Turned out a wire was blocking at least one of the graphics card fans, so it was either the remaining fan(s) going crazy or it kicking out a load of heat which made the cpu fan spin up  ?‍♂️

Mafia seemed to run fine after that so I put Doom Eternal on, removed the vsync and triple buffering and was getting 190fps, if memory serves I was getting high 90s to 100 before 

Lots of RTX 3080 reviews out. Mostly they seem to say not to buy if you're not putting it in front of a 4k screen but at the same time apparently this monster of a card still can't get Control at 60 frames so I'm suspicious.

I don't like DLSS, makes games look too weird imo. All the carpets look noisy in Control with it on and it causes strange graphics bugs in Death Stranding

obligatory DF (have not watched)

A video on how terribly the 3080 launch went

Maybe a fore-warning for what's in store with the 3070s. Basically it feels like COVID has created a situation of people having the disposable income saved to throw down on one of these while also causing a big fuck you to distribution and manufacturing. Also it sounds like Nvidia has rushed the release of this in anticipation of AMD's next GPU release which is rumoured to be quite competitive this time (altho apparently no ray tracing? I'm not sure)

Reading reviews of the 3080s it sounds like Asus hit it out of the park even with their budget TUF model, beating the MSI high ends on thermals and noise. Maybe that'll follow through with x70 also. Asus apparently have a bad RMA process however.

I actually tried my luck with a 3080 lol, but cancelled and refunded after the mayhem above. Scan took the full payment up front as a pre-order without notice of when said order will be fulfilled.

I mean I expect the same thing to happen with 3070 tbh. At least I can form a better picture of which one to go for assuming the 3080 reviews will serve as a good indicator. 3080 is overkill for my display anyway.

My perfectly good working (knock off chinese MX Master) mouse decided to fuck itself up and stop working, so I decided to get a track ball mouse instead. I had one about 20 odd years ago, so had a rough idea about what to expect. Not sure what it'll be like for gaming with, I'll experiment later.

IMG_20200923_073415.jpg

^ nice one, let us know how you get on with it. i've been using one of these for a bit, the scroll ring is ace, but the left button seems to develop faults easily so i need to try a different type at some point, or learn how to repair the buttons.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Orbit-Mouse-ergonomic-ambidextrous-Sapphire-Blue/dp/B002Q42S4E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kensington+orbit&qid=1600854293&sr=8-1

edit - i think i repaird my trackball by taking it to bits and putting it back together!

RTX 3080s have crashing problems.

Maybe not a good idea to buy this gen blindly. Only Asus and the founders editions seem to not have the issue.

It's basically some sort of ESD interference problem on some of the cards when they hit their boost clocks and is related to the quality of certain parts of the cards how good it is at mitigating that

Nvidia really rushed this shit out.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of AMD, apparently the new top end Ryzen wipes the floor with Intel when it comes to single threaded performance.

So it will no longer be true that Intel are a better choice for gaming.

Kind of getting to the point where you hope for a win from Intel to bring competition back to the marketplace, lol

On 23/09/2020 at 10:45, spatular said:

^ nice one, let us know how you get on with it. i've been using one of these for a bit, the scroll ring is ace, but the left button seems to develop faults easily so i need to try a different type at some point, or learn how to repair the buttons.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Orbit-Mouse-ergonomic-ambidextrous-Sapphire-Blue/dp/B002Q42S4E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kensington+orbit&qid=1600854293&sr=8-1

edit - i think i repaird my trackball by taking it to bits and putting it back together!

So far so good. The one issue I have is there seems to be a bit of resistance when you first push the ball, which means the initial movement is a bit of a jolt. For most stuff it isn't an issue, but for work I take a lot of screen caps of windows for documentation, and I'm finding these a little trickier to get them accurate first time. I find if I pop my ball out and give it a polish it works a little better, but I think it's the machining of the plastic casing of the mouse that's the issue. I do like it though and have gotten used to it very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...