passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

Same level of performance is very vague? same fps performance at lower resolution and reduced graphical fidelity?

To be fair though the 2080Ti at £1800 or whatever stupid price it is, you gotta be off your head or Money be no object to you.

After all how many games truly support 8K at the moment?, Can see some spoilt brat at home getting one of these then connecting it to a 22" monitor, barely any point ?

They just had a big graph with dots showing the 3070 at the same level as 2080ti, I think with ray tracing stuff on tho. I don't really know.

One thing I'm happy with these days is I feel like we've reached a plateau with resolution stuff and I like being able to decide that 1440p is good enough. It's 44% of 4K so pushing anything higher just doesn't add up to me personally. 

Founders Edition Card Dimensions: Length 12.3" (313 mm) 11.2" (285 mm) 9.5" (242 mm)
  Width 5.4" (138 mm) 4.4" (112 mm) 4.4" (112 mm)
  Height 3-Slot 2-Slot 2-Slot

^ that's the dimensions for the 3090/3080/3070 if you're interested.

the announcement was cool, they had a price and release dates and everything!

BTW this RTX.io thing seems to kill the supposed advantage consoles had with their SSD. I don't really understand it yet but it seems from their graph it is just super fast decompression tech or something.

It's pci-e4 but also works on pci-e 3 ssd. Also it comes out before the new consoles lol

When i was playing Flight Sim and flying near cities I was seeing tremendous disk and CPU activity that bottlenecked the shit out of my GPU, so I wonder if this sort of tech can be applied here. Get me from 19fps flying out of JFK to something that isn't a slideshow

Let me save you some pain, when you get your new motherboard be sure to find that little baggie that contains the m2 screw and put it somewhere where you will immediately know where to look when you do get NVME

They put that tiny screw in the smallest bag in the world and never include one with the nvme itself, so annoying lol

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

Ordered some computer parts, gone for a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16gb 3600 DDR4 ram, and a motherboard that has a couple of NVMe slots. Not that I've got an NVMe or will be getting one this year, but it's all the parts that needed an upgrade, should see me right for the next gen hopefully

nice! Needs more info/pics when it arrives. Also I hear all the cool people have that cpu.

23 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

When you say that what do you mean? I'd be guessing your current GPU is already 2 slot. I mean mine is, it's a 2060 like yours

Ah yeah, misinterpreted that graphic you put up. Seems I will be able to fit a 3000 series then if I want to at some point.

computer is set up. Had a bit of a weird thing when I tried to boot it where the CPU fan and the rear fan span up but nothing else happened. Keyboard and mouse didn't light up, nothing on the screen, infact the monitor didn't boot. Turned it off, unplugged the USBs bar the mouse, opened the case so I could check it. Everything looked fine, turned it on, everything booted. No idea what the problem was but it's working fine now. Sort of

There's 2 odd problems. There's only 2 spots for fans on the motherboard, one I've got my rear fan plugged in to, that works, the other I've got 1 of the 3 front fans plugged in. This hasn't worked, not sure why. I'll have to look at a way to connect them to another power source

the other odd thing is that, I have a wifi extender, for whatever reason neither the ethernet cable I have running to it or the wi-fi can connect to it

@DANGERMAN

I think my mobo might have only two system fan sockets as well. I bought a daisy chain cable to link the two front intake fans, and the two exhaust fans and assign them to their respective sockets. 

EDIT

from looking at the manual, you have a cpu_opt header which it says is for water-cooling, but seems like a regular header. Could you use that?