passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

All in all I think that build took 5 hours across the two days. I think I made things harder for myself with that case. It took me a really long time to figure out how to install the PSU of all things. Only got the smallest of chances to do a test run (DMC5 naturally, though there's not a lot in that game to tax a system other than way too much loading screens), but later on I'm going to install the Witcher 3 and turn all the settings up full blast and see how good/bad it handles things in Novigrad.

A thing I like is this shadowplay stuff. Now I can record stuff in 60 frames. Very nice. 

In the meantime, are there any programs I need to have on a PC in 2020?

I spent a bit of time installing a bunch of stuff. Discord, steam etc. I remember needing to use Riva Tuner to keep frame times stable on certain games, is this still a thing that needs to be done?

What program do people use to monitor temps? So I can figure out if that heatsink is installed correct.

Any Nvidia specific programs? 

(Also what is the go to game people use to check what their system is capable of these days? Witcher 3 is pretty old now)

i did the same with witcher 3 running around novigrad and i guess it's a bit disappointing the graphics aren't as amazing these days. control, star wars and dirt rally 2 are the main games i've played, they look nice enough but yeah i'd be interested in something to really show off the fancy graphics too.

used this one for gpu monitoring - same as Blakey

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

and ryzen master for cpu which won't help.

that looks awesome, i love the multicolour fans :D

but sorry i have to ask about the cpu heat sink and fan... the fan would usually push air from the front of the case through the heat sink and out the back of the case. so wondered which way is that fan pointing? if it's blowing air down onto the graphics card that doesn't seem like a great plan imo (but if your gfx temps are fine then no problem i guess), but if the fan is sucking air through the heat sink and out the top of the case? which would be unusual but maybe thats a good setup - i don't know. what sort of temps you getting? nuctua are supposed to be really good. edit - so yeah if your temps are high that might be the reason, otherwise ignore me :D

I was going to post that it is sucking through the top, but then I got doubtful and did a full speed fan check on the bios. Nope, it's upside down blowing heat back down. So it's a good thing I posted that picture even if Jim is very sad now. :blush:

In my previous PC I had it on the right pushing out the exhaust vent on the left, which I guess is the more correct way. But I didn't like having the fan sitting right on top of the RAM sticks, it's just more of a tight squeeze in this case. It would probably work fine but be annoying.

My CPU temps have been around 60~ish on stuff like the Witcher 3 I think, but with it the wrong way around. I should try a game of Civ V or something on it. 

GPU I'm not sure, I haven't been monitoring as much. CPU I monitor quite often to see that I didn't feck up the thermal paste.

edit, it's not the case rather. It's that the ram and CPU socket seem quite closer on the motherboard than I expect?

Those oversize coolers are the hardest thing to install for sure. I cut my fingers on the fins putting in mine only. I've never checked that I out the fan on mine the correct way around, I need to check that now. I did install the front case fans the wrong way and had to redo them. 

I downloaded prime95 yesterday, but the executable wouldn't launch. Apparently some .Net framework thing. So I did my own ghetto stress test by running Witcher 3 while doing a never ending for loop in chrome lol.

I will adjust the location of that heatsink fan again I think so it's pushing back out and through, but I'll need to get alcohol wipes first so I can reseal the thermal paste. Also because it made @Jimbo Xiii sad I will ask him for recommendations on those cable holder things he has in his case