passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

I had a PC upgrade while i was away from the site. I thought I'd let you know my new rig. My new machine has an Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6 Ghz 8 core processor, which I've overclocked to near 4 Ghz. I'm running it with a Corsair hydro H100X water cooling loop. Not a full water cooling rig, just the CPU which outputs the coolant to a separate radiator/fan set up. This is on an Asus board with 16Gb of DDR4 ram. Added to that I have a Samsung 500GB  SSD, and two 1TB Western Digital hard drives. The graphic card is an N-Vidia G-Force GTX1060-6g with 6GB of onboard ram, made by Asus. The operating system is Windows 10 pro 64bit with the new May update. And just for shits and giggles, I bought an RGB gaming keyboard and mouse, the keyboard having Cherry MX blue keys. It's a little noisy, but lovely for typing. 

The monitor is still my old 26 inch LCD Toshiba TV. I know I can get a better scfeen. My son has just bought a Samsung 4K curved PC screen that looks buttery smooth, but I had to save money somewhere. I bought a new Xbox One gamepad to use for PC gaming, replacing my aging Xbox 360 pad which had bad drift on the left thumbstick after years of use. 

Of course Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG Galaxy, Epic launcher, and Besthesda launcher are all installed. I'm waiting to see if GOG's unified launcher service, which ties in all the storefronts, will be worth having.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/07/2019 at 01:59, spatular said:

ordered a 3700x :awe: a 3600 would have been more sensible but i've been holding off upgrading for ages so went a bit crazy.

Nice! I think I'm going to go for the 2700 as the prices have dropped off quite a bit now the 3 series processors are out.

I've been selling some old stuff on eBay and using the money to buy parts, mainly the stuff I'm not on the fence about, or if a good flash deal has been available. So far I've got (or getting today)

-G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

-NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

-Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

-Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Now just the processor, mobo and GPU to go, I'm still on the fence about the gpu and processor though.

6 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I think I'm going to go for the 2700 as the prices have dropped off quite a bit now the 3 series processors are out.

yeah they're a great deal at the moment, check out the 3600 too, although there's not many reviews out yet (maybe only 1), similar price but should beat the 2700 for gaming, but less cores/threads.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

i've got most of the bits for the pc now too, just waiting on the mb and cpu, both should arrive in the next week or so.

Case arrived with my PSU and SSD, couldn't resist opening them and taking a look. Ended up mounting the SSD and partially wiring in the PSU which is probably a terrible idea as I'll most likely need to take them out again..IMG_20190709_161512.jpg

nice cooler Jimbo! i'm going to live dangerously with the stock cooler, it should be fine, they're supposed to be good, just worried it might be a bit noisy. also motherboard arrived the other day - updated the bios so i'm all ready for when the cpu arrives (got an old one which doesn't support the new cpu's out of the box). oh and need to decommision the old pc to get some bits out of that.

1 hour ago, spatular said:

nice cooler Jimbo! i'm going to live dangerously with the stock cooler, it should be fine, they're supposed to be good, just worried it might be a bit noisy. also motherboard arrived the other day - updated the bios so i'm all ready for when the cpu arrives (got an old one which doesn't support the new cpu's out of the box). oh and need to decommision the old pc to get some bits out of that.

Stock is meant to be fine, but I'm getting a bit carried away and I fancy having a play around with some over clocking. 

Just ordered two more case fans for my intake and a second smaller capacity SSD that'll be my work os to keep everything separate. 

Good luck with the overclocking! Yeah I’m just going to leave mine stock, or maybe try the auto overclocking they have but I’m not going to do anything fancy, already got carried away and spent more than planned on the cpu so saving some on the cooler is good. Good idea with the work ssd, I hate clogging up my home pc with work crap but it would be useful to have some stuff on there so I might do the same later :)

Progress continues

IMG_20190715_100625.jpgIMG_20190715_100558.jpgIMG_20190715_094545.jpg

ln the motherboard I've fitted the bracket for the cooler and just ordered a ryzen 2700 as it was reduced to £166 which was too good to miss. Also added the ram although may need to pop them back out when I seat the cooler. Incidentally, I can already tell the cooler is going to be painful to fit.

In the case I've added two extra 120mm fans as an intake but seated them the wrong way around so had to do them again. Also had to buy some SATA power extensions for the two SATA drives as the power cables with the PSU had L shaped cables which prevented the SSD sitting flush in the mount. Coming together nicely. Just GPU and monitor to sort now *cough* @RoboticMonk3y *cough*

Ordered a £30 GPU so I can set up my computer once my processor arrives. I've got to hang fire on my 1660ti until the end of August so this crappy gtx710 will have to sustain me. It's a pain that not all CPUs come with some kind of on board graphics.

Awesome!

My cpu, the last part, was supposed to arrive wednesday but now amazon seem to have no idea when it’s coming. Could cancel and get it from elsewhere but lots of early adopter problems being reported so maybe it’s not so bad to wait a bit. Took the ssd out of the old pc to see what would happen and it worked fine, just booted to windows 8 instead of 10, so that was nice.

edit - canceled the cpu and ordered from somewhere else, £6 cheaper so thought that was a good till i realised it doesn't come with the free game pass. oh well

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got my last two pieces. Ended up getting a Radeon RX580 8GB gpu and a 24.5" 1080p freesync monitor. I went with the 580 instead for the 1660ti for a few reasons. 1, it was nearly half the price (because it's nearly 3 years old and the 1660ti is pretty new) and 2, it support freesync which my monitor also has. It seems to handle new triple A's at 1080p 60fps which suits me and the monitor limits me to these settings anyway.

So far I've played Slay The Spire, which didn't give it any issues, Forza Horizon 4 which defaulted to ultra settings and was super smooth and Shadow of the Tomb Raider which defaulted to High, but I ran a benchmark on Highest and it seemed fine, but had a few dips below 60fps, so I'll probably leave it on high.

The monitor is lovely and seemed like a bargain at £120. Built in speakers are ok not great, the image quality it really good though and it has plenty of inputs.

I've really enjoyed putting my own pc together. I imagine I'll still be adding and tinkering with bits, I need to sort out the cables at the back as they are jammed into the bottom housing.

It runs so fast, it's cool being able to play games but also has made working at home a lot less painful as well.

Total cost with monitor was just over £800 which I don't think is too bad.

• 2 months later...