passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spatular said:

yeah looks good to me too. the case apparently comes with 2 fans already fyi.

Yeah but they don't have white LEDs built into them... ?

Tbf, if I lost two of the fans, I'd save enough to upgrade the SSD to 500gb.

oh, wondered why you'd gone for that expensive ram, now it's starting to make sense :D

you can get a similar psu with white lights for a similar price from scan, but i'm not sure you'll be able to see it in that case anyway.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-evga-supernova-750-g2-led-80plus-gold-full-modular-sli-crossfire-624a-plus12v-135mm-fan-white-l

8 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Personal preference, or something else? I'm not really set on either, to be honest.

I just think Nvidia GPUs are better overall than AMD’s offerings.

I guess it is just personal preference but AMD GPUs have always just seemed a bit mediocre to me compared to Nvidia. 

• 4 weeks later...

My current set up is coming up for ten years old now so im looking at this (£782 total)

Ive got a GTX 970 at the minute which is going for around £50 on ebay so I might bump the 1660ti to a 2060 but im not too fussed:

image.png

That's the position im in, the 970 is actually not whats wrong with my machine at the moment it's the combination of i5 2500k and 4gb of DDR3 because that's the all the motherboard will support. Having said that in a more powerful rig, like the one I've specced out, the 4gb gpu will be the weakest link and most likely next bottleneck and I've read a lot of good things particularly about the value of the 1660 ti and potential longevity. 

My boss sometimes is happy to buy things ex vat for us and then let us pay it back almost like a salary sacrifice so if I can potentially knock 100 quid off that and pay it back over a year or something then I will be golden. 

I think it's important to keep in mind when upgrading like this that you are going to see a substantial increase over what you currently have so not too get too caught up in trap of feeling like you need to slightly upgrade to the next step of every component you put into the machine. 

yeah i keep putting off upgrading and thought the same with the ps5 "specs", maybe it'd be better to wait again. well i'd planned to wait for the new ryzen stuff, which i guess would be similar to the new consoles.

12 hours ago, Sambob said:

I think it's important to keep in mind when upgrading like this that you are going to see a substantial increase over what you currently have so not too get too caught up in trap of feeling like you need to slightly upgrade to the next step of every component you put into the machine. 

yeah i'm definitely guilty of this, been getting a few bits for the new build one at a time, which sort of hides the full price and makes me think it's ok to spend more on each bit and is driving up the cost, going to get a case and stop. that's the plan anyway...

i have a 2500k too, they've lasted well!

• 3 weeks later...

So, looks like my rebuild is on hold for a bit, my boss is not so sure about doing things through work anymore which means its got to all be cash...there is somebody that contracts for us selling a GTX 1070 for £200 and I think I could maybe get £100 for my 970 so thats a decent upgrade, then I know somebody who is willing to sell me a brand new unboxed 8086K CPU for £300 which is more than I can afford by a long way but its such a massive saving on the £500 rrp that I feel like I should sell most of my possessions to make it happen.

I can keep my current 250 gb SSD and then I just need a motherboard and Ram, not cheap, to get up and running. Oh and a case and power supply. And cooling.

unless you're overclocking the cooling that comes with the CPU will be fine, and most cases have a couple of fans themselves.

There's cheaper CPUs around, not as good, but there's been good deals on the AMD Ryzens on hotukdeals for the past couple of weeks