passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Yeah. Mine is from Chillblast.

If you're feeling adventurous you could always build your own. I found fucking about with the mobo and CPU and seating it into the case is probably the hardest part, after that it's like Lego. Installing Windows takes maybe an hour. It's not hard, but you're probably going to scrape your knuckles a few times. I think it's bad luck not skinning yourself when building a PC.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Slight thread hijack. I'm speccing up a pc, mainly for dev work but work but would like the option to game on it.

@Sly Reflex has already raised an issue with the GPU being a bit under powered and a low amount of ram, anything else?

yeah i mean you can always pay more to get something better so it depends what you want to spend. i'd go for a ryzen 2600, but that'll add ~£60, and more/faster ram. think i've seen AMD 580 graphics cards (edit - these are a bit more power hungry iirc so might need to check power supply is still ok) for about the same price as you have the 1050ti on hotukdeals - that would be a good upgrade for a similar price, otherwise it's a 1060 for ~ £200. i don't really know anything about the motherboards/power supply. my ~7 year old case had a ssd mount so you might not need the ssd bracket. good luck!

these look like a good deal:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/awd-stronghold-2600-six-core-39ghz-rx-580-8gb-desktop-gaming-pc-49994-awdit-3176575

@Jimbo Xiii

I don't really know enough about them but double check that the power supply is enough in case you add more hard drives and a more hungry card 

For the cost of ram you might as well get 16gb, not much will use it but picture, video and audio editing will 

If you're gaming on it I'd get a better card. The 1060 is still a good card, but we're only a year away from new consoles so it might show some age then. Currently though it's going to run everything at 1080p, only stuff like the new Metro you might have to go below high settings (that's a guess, I haven't played it but it looks ridiculous) 

Talking ssd seating, they weigh nothing, you could just leave it dangling or sat on your hdd, although for £2.50 you might as well 

I'm out of date with PC builds but a word of wisdom I always hear is not to buy a bargain/cheap PSU. It's not good for the lifetime of your parts, or so I hear. A PSU failure can knacker an entire system. Tho I'm no electrical engineer so my advice isnt solid

(It's got to do with the quality of energy being given out or something. )

But when I did have a pc I think I gots one of those gold rated evga 650w ones. That was paired with an r9 390 (which is power hungry/energy inneficient by modern standards, your 1060 will outrun it by a bit and eat considerably less energy) and an i54690k.

That's not a recommendation to buy that particular PSU or anything but it's the one thing that seems to get ignored in favour of bigger GPUs in some builds sometimes.

2 hours ago, Blakey said:

I'd definitely go for the Ryzen 5 and GTX 1060 if it was me, a little bit more money but quite a bit more performance and future proofing.

The 1060 isn't the ti model though, so the 1050 is actually more modern. The 1060 does have 6gb ram though.

maybe not the best comparison but it gives you an idea:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3639vs3649

oh yeah and what about this one DANGERMAN was telling me i should buy (and i probably should because it's a great deal) can't really vouch for the quality of stuff like the company, motherboard/psu etc mind:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-460x-rgb-ryzen-5-2600-3.9ghz-gtx-1070-8gb-ddr5-vr-gaming-pc.html