passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

I'm not sure what the difference is to be honest between Pro and Home, but I did a quick google search and it seems you get advanced security features with Pro, here's a link to the page I found http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-uk-difference-3618710/

I play with a 23" Monitor, but it's up to you really, whichever size you thinks best, if you want a big size screen you can always hook it up to your TV via HDMI anyway, but say between 20-28" is the sweet spot, but it's really whatever size you want and how much you want to spend to be honest.

I remember when I was looking at Monitors myself last year someone advised me that if I used DVI I'd have no sound and would have to somehow get my Monitor speakers to work separately as they are built into my Monitor, I thought this would be a right ballache, so went with HDMI. I think you've got speakers built into the Monitor the same as mine in that Monitor in the link, so I'd go with HDMI. Unless you're planning on gaming in 4K, or your GPU hasn't got an HDMI port, HDMI is always best I think.

I didn't know that about DVI Blakey ok I'll stick with HDMI.

I had to "serve notice" to my stupid 7-day notice account to transfer money to my current account, so I have a week to decide whether or not to change my mind, but I think I'll take the plunge.

Just came across this machine on scan...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-gtx-black-intel-core-i7-skylake-6700-quad-core-16gb-corsair-ddr4-evga-gtx-980sc-250gb-ssd-

it's pre-built so you'd get it next day. You get a GTX980, Windows pre-installed (the novatech was an extra £80 for the os) and a free game (either the new Ass Creed or Rainbow Six).

The ram is also 2444mhz as opposed to 2133mhz (i'm under the impression faster is better?)

Just came across this machine on scan...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-gtx-black-intel-core-i7-skylake-6700-quad-core-16gb-corsair-ddr4-evga-gtx-980sc-250gb-ssd-

it's pre-built so you'd get it next day. You get a GTX980, Windows pre-installed (the novatech was an extra £80 for the os) and a free game (either the new Ass Creed or Rainbow Six).

The ram is also 2444mhz as opposed to 2133mhz (i'm under the impression faster is better?)

Yeah that seems better. It doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive but sure I wouldn't be buying Blu-Rays anyway. The power supply is 550W versus 750W in the other machine but that's not likely to be an issue is it? Seems like much better value like you say since it includes the OS and the GTX 980 is a £400 card...

I can't see you needing to add much to it that would need more power. Unless you decide to run 2 cards (SLI) it should be enough power. I think my PSU is more, but realistically I'm never going to make the most of it. Other than collecting harddrives like I have been (bought a 512gb ssd this week, so now I've got 3 SSDs and a 1tb hdd) I've never needed the overhead

Back to the subject of OS', if you've got a spare windows 7 or 8 disc knocking around, you could install that on your new pc, and then go to the Microsoft site, and do a Windows 10 upgrade. You'll save a bundle doing it that way, and it's all legit. Once you've done the first install of Windows 10 to your machine, you can re-install over the internet, or via removable media at any time, including clean installs.

And as a PC gamer, on the subject of stopping the nasties, I tend to just use the bundled Windows Defender Antivirus that's embedded into Windows 10, and top it up with malwarebytes. It seems to work for me. I occasionally scan with something stronger i have on a usb stick, and I remain virus and malware free. Couple it with a twice monthly scan with Ccleaner, and I never have problems.

I used to be a big fan of Norton, but it started to become a bloated resource hogging mess. At the time I was running a budget machine, and overclocking both the CPU and GPU whenever I played a big game. So as you can imagine, every clock cycle counted, and I ditched Norton.

I've been reading some articles on RPS about monitors. They seem pretty keen on IPS monitors.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/05/budget-gaming-monitors-2015/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/05/best-monitor-for-gaming/

Tempted to go with the Phillips monitor mentioned in that top article if IPS is that much of a deal breaker.

My computer arrived, too bad I'm at work.

Although, the monitor I ordered doesn't actually come back into stock until today so I'll have to wait until at least Moday for that anyway.

Impressed with Scans speed of delivery though! 2 days to deliver a computer to the west of Ireland.

Nevermind. When I opened the box, my monitor was in it. It's a Christmas miracle.

I had to make a couple of phonecalls to Scan. My monitor wasn't picking up any signal, turns out I had the HDMI cable connected to the wrong slot on the PC (there was two HDMI slots, one higher up for Intel's integrated graphics and one lower down for my own card). And secondly, when I got the monitor working, my screen wouldn't get past the message "just a moment...". I googled it and it seems to be a common problem with Windows 10 installation. But the guy on Scan knew what had gone wrong right away (he said two other people had rang about the same problem today). I had to take out a usb which came with the PC, load the boot menu and use the software on that USB stick to restore the PC to factory settings (I had accidentally gone wrong somewhere when I was pressing buttons with my monitor off). Then I was able to create a profile and the computer worked fine.

Anyway, the computer is a beast. One side of the case is transparent and you can see inside. It's got neon writing and shit. I might share a photo of it. And this 22" monitor is very nice too. I'm looking forward to watching p-I meaning playing games on it.

Props to Scan, great company to deal with.