passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection

Sambob

44 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I genuinely didn't know that before I started, and thought there would be more exploration and puzzles.

I do think the second game breaks the shooting up better and makes it more exciting with the set pieces though. 

There is a bit of exploration and puzzles throughout the games but they never go too puzzley or open up too much until U4, that's mainly why U4 is my favourite because it lets the characters breath and isn't burdened by having to have the shooty bangs. U: TLL is even more open than U4.

Uncharted 2 is great because it manages to keep the shooting sections varied but you are still almost, always shooting. Just under different limitations or from different perspectives or while cool shit is going on. Sometimes I would forget to class U2 as a 3rd person shooter because it consistently feels fresh almost the whole way through, but you are still shooting your way through all those parts.

Where as U1 is a pretty bog standard cover based shooter. It doesn’t really have anything to distract you from that. It’s easier to forget that all you’re doing is shooting in Uncharted 2 because you’re doing it while hanging upside down, or in a falling building or actively platforming. It’s certainly the main activity but in terms of focus really feels secondary. 

I know I’m alone on this but the big reason why I son’t really rate U4 is because it has exploration and is slower and more character based. It just feels mismanaged and this isn’t what I come to the series for at all. I want the rollercoaster. Keep your Last of Us over there, over here we globe trotting, head shotting and joke dropping. 

Did a bunch of jetskiing and now reached the monestary and the :

Spoiler

reunion with Sully (maybe there's someone else out there who hasn't played?!?!)

I'm sure there must be speedruns that  just blast high speed through the jetski parts, but for me it was a slow steady process, especially with the exploding barrels on the way to the monestary, and that you can't drive & shoot at the same time.

Will definitely intend to complete it, but noting I've just downloaded "For the King", it might be a while before I move on to the second game in this series.

And that's U:1 finished !

It was a pleasant blast really, thought the whole undead Spaniards might have tipped it over at the end (in terms of even more 'pointless' shooting, but it wasn't too over done.)

I played on 'normal', collected 30/60 treasures, and unlocked 28/47 rewards, 9hr 49m, killing 783 enemies (that's 1.3 per minute!), 266 by headshots (I still remember that 'melon popper' reward from MoH (PS1)).

So I will return, after a break, to U:2 as I'm keen to know how the story continues, albeit I still preferred the light puzzle elements much more than the incessant cover shooting.

I don't recall U3 being difficult, certainly no more-so than the previous games.

I liked the melee too, it was more involved than the previous games and things like counters and contextual actions made it a lot more satisfying, One of my main criticisms of U4 would probably be it's melee being a step back from U3, if I remember it right.

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes, it's U:2

Played a couple of stages and just reached Borneo. Seems okay so far, nice bit of climbing and sneaking , but a bit too heavy on the cut scenes, which are fragmenting the gameplay a bit, but I suppose they are trying to drop story in as we go.

I had a wry smile when they gave you 'tranquilisers' and stealth 'knock-outs' - don't think I've actually 'killed' anyone do far (the guy near the train definitely blew himself up).

12 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

Here goes, it's U:2

Played a couple of stages and just reached Borneo. Seems okay so far, nice bit of climbing and sneaking , but a bit too heavy on the cut scenes, which are fragmenting the gameplay a bit, but I suppose they are trying to drop story in as we go.

I had a wry smile when they gave you 'tranquilisers' and stealth 'knock-outs' - don't think I've actually 'killed' anyone do far (the guy near the train definitely blew himself up).

don't you drug a guy so he falls off a roof about 100 ft into water? He's probably dead

"he's above you he's above you... he's below you he's below you!" 

Surely thats good?  Commando and Rambo are far better than any Michael Bay film? 
Regardless, when I played UC2 it was genuinely one of my favourite games of the generation. I’ve gone back to it since and I don’t think it’s held up that well in all honesty. But I’ll always look back on it fondly and it shits all over UC1 and 3 from a great height IMO.