passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

I've not read through this all properly because I haven't seen the film and won't for a while, but it's not a huge surprise you're getting extreme reactions. This Star Wars more than than any other film has been hyped and marketed. You've had Star Wars films treated as events each of the last few years, it's inevitable 

I've not read any news, reviews or feedback which is funny as I haven't actively tried to avoid it. I tell a lie - my missus  wanted me to watch Holly Willoughby put her foot in it and spoil something ? so I've had something spoiled. Stupid wifu ?

I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'll see what it's like. I'll no doubt enjoy it ?

Instead we had Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, black pride and anti-apartheid.

I remember the first Star Wars film coming out when I was a kid and I and all the kids at school were blown away. We grew up on cowboy films and fairy stories so the whole SW story thing was a familiar telling, even though no-one was analysing or arguing about it. It was big, fresh, iconic and amazing with a realness previously not experienced. It's impossible to convey its impact or what a game changer it was if you weren't inhabiting a world of 3 TV channels and every movie with an alien or monster was 6inches high and badly stop-motioned or had visible puppet strings.

The next two films were different but equally ground breaking and I remember no debates about them. They simply created new icons and vistas which now we just take for granted.

I'm off to see the new film tomorrow and expect I'll probably love it on the whole. But then I'm just going to be entertained and wide eyed. I save the serious stuff for other movies.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Nag said:

I actually fucking hate May 4th nowadays... does that make me a bad person??

Nah I get that. The final straw for me was the Moonpig card app trying to get me to buy a Star Wars card for someone for it. 

14 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Nah I get that. The final straw for me was the Moonpig card app trying to get me to buy a Star Wars card for someone for it. 

Jim mate, why have you got a Moonpig app installed on your phone?

I've probably said this already in here, but for my money the Star Wars franchise has the most undeserved fandom. There's 2 good films, a couple of ok ones, then at least 4 shit ones, more if you count the spin offs

• 2 weeks later...

What are people’s thoughts about Solo? It’s out in just over a week and no one seems to be talking about it much. I struggling to muster up much enthusiasm for it. The extended trailer before Infinity War just compounded that. It doesn’t look bad particularly but I’m not sure I can be bothered. 

Any my enthusiasm I had for it dissappeared after I found out Ron Howard was directing it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Solo last night and its really good. I was expecting a hot mess, with all the various reports that have come out, but it was just super enjoyable to watch. I can understand that people might have been expecting this enormous character piece but its not that, its a fun adventure film, it has Han being young and roguish.

Seen a lot of people saying its too standalone and impacts the other films in no way, which is bullshit, its the start of its own trilogy and hints at the beginnings of a tied together universe.

The disappointing thing for me about the spin-offs is that I assumed that when they said they were making side stories, they would be completely unrelated to the core story of the originals. I wanted to see more original characters and stories, but Disney gonna Disney I guess.

I think once we get Rian Johnson's new separate Trilogy that's being written now we'll get all those original characters, planets, stories etc. @Hendo

Apparently the Jango Fett standalone film is a go with the director/writer of Logan, sounds like a damn fine match to me.

I saw Solo today as well. I'm not really sure why but I think it's the only Star Wars film ever that I've had no real hype for whatsoever, and I'm not really sure why, even making the booking for the cinema I would've rather seen Deadpool 2 but I felt obligated to see this instead, the only time I've ever felt that way with SW.

But you know what. I actually really enjoyed it, it's no surprise really let's be honest but after the tumultuous development of it I just thought it would be a Batman V Superman/Justice League situation but thankfully its not. You can see the troubled development/reshoots at times though, it rushed into the first attempted train heist far too quickly for my liking and didn't really give us enough time to meet the crew or care about them. 

After that though I really feel like it settled into a nice rhythm, there were lots of action sequences but it still managed to feel like there were stakes to it and consequences, to see Han slowly leaning from Tobias as well and also being Han was really cool. All the cast were excellent but Ehrenreich was the standout for me, it was really jarring at the start seeing him as Han but by the end of the film so many of his mannerisms were similar to Ford's it was quite eery, a lot of those 'o Han you scoundrel' kind of moments where he's being arrogant or cocky etc. too, lapped all that shit up.

Thought the end was really strong too, tons of twists and turns to the plot with double crosses and shenanigans coming out the wazoo, 

Spoiler

really didn't expect Darth fucking Maul to show up either!

they could've easily ended up in some gun blazing crazy death run but it felt very focused and the plot was all the better for it. Got goosebumps at the Kessler run bit in the Falcon when the music flares up as well and when Han meets Chewie, lovely stuff!

In the pantheon of SW films I'm not sure where to place it really, I don't consider the spin-offs as special as the mainline numbered entries so I don't feel like I'd rate this and Rogue One as highly as 4-6 and 7-8 so far, although both are far better than the prequels.

I'm not sure if it was just me either, but did anyone else think this had a more practical effects based ethos to it than The Last Jedi? I know TFW had a similar focus but I felt this got lost a bit in TLJ in favour of a CGI bonanza at times.