passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

On 25/10/2019 at 23:29, Blakey said:

Then why the fuck are you in this thread then you contrarian ass? ?

? 

Don't toke and post, Blakey...?

Anyway, other than sharing an anecdote, there was actually part of Star Wars I did like. Weirdly enough, it was part of the prequels. Although I don't think it is "Disney-canon" anymore. As I see it, although it was supposedly 'filler' between movies, This probably should have been Episode 2 and Attack of the Clone's script tossed on a bonfire. 

New trailer

Man, this show is looking so much better than any of the movies lol

Since the news broke that the GoT team have exited and now not doing their trilogy of SW I wonder how fast Disney are on Jon Favrou be like “Boy, do this but on the big screen” 

I just mean this looks more exciting to me than all the new recent movies. I’m so much more into the idea of new Star Wars stories that don’t have to do with Skywalker, Death Stars and Darth Vader wannabes 

• 3 weeks later...

A mate told me the other day that the script (or at least plot points) are out there and it’s incredibly disappointing.

I didn’t want too many details in case it’s right but I asked about two specific things and got answers. Should anyone be interested I’ll reply in spoiler tags but right now I’ll leave it at that.

To be clear, I didn’t ask about the overall plot or ending, just a couple of questions about stuff that came out of the trailer. And the answers I got back were relatively vague, so I don’t know how the film will pan out.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering you only think 3 of the movies are good @one-armed dwarf that doesn't surprise me. :lol: 

I read the social media reactions for TRoS and they were all glowing but the reviews have been mixed so far (57% average on RT from 47 reviews), still early days though, still a whole load more reviews to come in. From the little we can gain from these early reviews though it does seem quite a divisive film.

As soon as I heard the writer of Justice League was co-writing this I was a little bit worried, but yeah, we'll see how the reviews pan out in the end and I'm still hyped as hell to see TRoS in IMAX on Friday :D

Those three are Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi and the Holiday Special for anyone interested

edit, Oh man, the Irish Times review for this is savage ? ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review-it-s-unworthy-of-the-word-cinema-1.4118711

The film is merely a component part of a larger machine (the trilogy) that plugs into an even larger mechanism (the Star Wars universe). It has no more use or appeal when examined in isolation than would a sparkplug or a distributor cap.

[...]

Yet the component will just about fit in the prepared slot. Star Wars was modelled on John Ford’s The Searchers and Akira Kurosawa’s Hidden Fortress. The current “content” has more in common with the last update of your PC’s operating system. Have fun watching the grey bar complete itself.

I have a sort of ritual of seeing these every Christmas with my Dad when I go home to visit. Not sure of this one, sitting in a cinema is hard enough for me anyway

All my excitement for the new movie got immediately supplanted by the Mandalorian. I’ve struggled to give a shit about any of the new films anyway but now there seems to be a really decent alternative I don’t even need to try get excited about RoWhatever. Just need to wait until March and get the show instead. 

I don't really subscribe to aggregate scores, but apparently this is the worst critically received Star Wars of all time on RT.

That really surprises me. Because Attack of Clones is a thing.

I'm not posting this just to trash on it, just bizarre how this thing seems to have gone.

But who knows if it doesn't just end up a reversal of TLJ, where critics really liked it and lots of the audience did not.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I'm not posting this just to trash on it, just bizarre how this thing seems to have gone.

Whether you consciously do this or not I don't know, but you do do it all the time. It even has the signature Dwarf quote from a bad review.

Just for balance:

Although the current run of films has struggled to live up to the mythic power of the original trilogy, The Rise of Skywalker comes pretty darn close, and effectively carries the collective weight of the entries that precede it.