passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

I like the one show they have usually with Jay and some other balding bloke where they talk about older movies like the one they did for all the Psycho movies and they aren't just memeing it up.

However I do like their pisstake of those awful comic nerd podcast features where they have a desk full of memorabilia and are trying too hard to be bought out hype merchants.

Has anyone posted this?

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/lucasfilm-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-1203191706/

Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy recently confirmed the production company is thinking about developing something related to BioWare’s classic role-playing game “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.”

“Knights of the Old Republic, a lot of fans want to see that, is there any development of that?” MTV reporter Josh Horowitz asked Kennedy during Star Wars Celebration last weekend.

“You know, we talk about that all the time,” Kennedy said. “Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now, I have no idea where things might fall, but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn’t start to feel like too much. We don’t have a crystal ball, you know, we tried a little bit with ‘Solo’ to see if we could do two movies a year and whether or not there really was an opportunity for that, and we felt that’s not going to work. So, we back off of that a little bit. But it doesn’t mean we don’t think about lots of different stories, because that’s the exciting thing about this universe.”

“Knights of the Old Republic” was first published by LucasArts in 2003 and is widely considered one of the best role-playing games of all time. It takes place about 4,000 years before the founding of the Galactic Empire. A Sith Lord named Darth Malak has unleashed an armada against the Republic, and the player is a Jedi tasked with stopping him. A sequel developed by Obsidian Entertainment released in 2004. Both are still available today on PC in places like Steam and GOG.com, as well as on iOS and Android.

If a “KotOR” project is going on at Lucasfilm, it’s likely in the very early stages, or it might just be a pitch, judging by Kennedy’s vague comments. But, it’s also worth noting that director Rian Johnson and “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are planning new “Star Wars” trilogies. While Johnson has already confirmed his trilogy won’t involve the Old Republic, no one knows when or where Benioff and Weiss’ project will take place.

If this is true I hope they don't fuck it up.

KotOR 1 And 2 are some of my favourite RPG’s of all time. Honestly there has been very few games to just suck me in to the world so completely that I literally lost days to it. But a TV show doesn’t sound good to me. Give us KotOR3! I know they did that big MMO. But fuck that I want the real sequel (But by Obsidian at this point, not Bioware)

There’s been rumours about this for a couple of years now, mostly about the Benioff and Weis (sp?) trilogy of movies being set there. That quote has certainly added fuel to the fire though.

There are thousands of years of lore and characters under the Old Republic umbrella that they can pull from if they need to too so it’s certainly an exciting prospect. 

The problem with it is that it doesn't extensively revolve around the same 6 characters that Star Wars is obsessed with. This is the kind of thing I'd hoped they do when Disney took over and would still be good to see it happen.

I don’t see how anyone would think Disney or whoever don’t give a shit about the Old Republic stuff.

KotOR III was in development at Obsidian but fell apart, so everything moved to the MMO which has been supported and improved extensively since launch and is the only remaining old EU material to not be scrapped by Disney. 

Then there’s the fact they made Darth Bain canon with The Clone Wars (making Revan et al canon by proxy) showing the story group want these characters and this setting to be used.

From the looks of how things have gone and from some of the stuff that was said during celebration it feels like they were finishing the Skywalker era of stories off as a courtesy to Lucas (same reason they won’t release the original unaltered trilogy), but once it’s out of the way the future is completely open to new eras and settings, so it makes perfect sense for the Old Republic to be explored. 

Going to assume you never read about the development of KOTOR 2? It was an unfinished game, deliberately rushed out with the evidence on the actual game disk. 

They then decided, as they have with a lot of the EU stuff after having initially said none of it counts, to just cherry pick certain details which has now escalated to them going 'yeah actually this is all cannon' for large sections.

This comes across as just apologist.

You keep saying ‘they’ but talking about the pre and post Disney acquisition eras like it’s one thing. Lucas run Lucasfilm and Disney run Lucasfilm are two very different beasts with different people making decisions. 

Disney has nothing to do with what happened with KotOR, and they’ve left the MMO alone. 

Have you read the old canon? Most of it is utter nonsense. I think Disney made the right decision scrapping it and cherry picking the best bits. It gave them more freedom to make the sequel trilogy without being confined to 30 years of EU stories and allows them to bring the popular bits back. 

I liked KotOR2 more than 1. The twist in one is great but the concept of someone who is not a force user but more like a Force black hole I thought was an excellent concept. Also that cliff hanger ending with “something else coming” and the overall darker tone. Man, that game was fantastic 

I thought they were both great but it still angers me to this day that 2 wasnt half the game it could have been had they have given it to an established studio, and at the very least given them the same time that Bioware got. The knock on effects, a bit like we are seeing now with the reaction to episode 8 were huge and in my opinion contributed largely to the fact that we currently dont have a ton of really great star wars video games.

Obsidian are on record as saying it was that sect of the studios first game that they made. And they were vastly understaffed and from what I've read inexperienced. They had Lucasarts do the majority of their cinematics because their animators couldnt cope. The sound guys would have these whacky ideas which added great sounds but then fucked up other parts of the game because their was no crossover. 

Bioware had developed some masterful games at that point, mainly baldurs gate 2 which was a barnstormer of a game and is still one of the best games in it genre however many years after the fact.

It's also not true about it being only the ending. Entire main plots were cut, there is an entire planet on the disc that didn't make it, there are cinematics and voice lines buried that they said it was easier to leave in than take out properly, such is the scale of the rush job. One of the things that was most highly praised, the influence system was partly down to dumb luck because they just increased the amount everything influenced the character by a random factor, it wasn't even intentional. 

OK, it may be an early game under the Obsidian banner but I'm sure they're founded and made up of veteran PC developers.  People who made the original Fallout games, right? 

That's more that I was getting at.  They were no spring chickens.