passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

21 minutes ago, Nag said:

I'm so far out of the Star Wars loop... I have no idea what any of you are talking about.?

Still haven't seen the last two films that were released and I'm guessing now I probably never will unless their on TV one night when there's bugger all else on.

You're not missing much. I'm genuinely a bit surprised people are this hyped given the standard of the past few films (more than few tbf) 

The Force Awakens has been on TV quite a bit already I believe. The Last Jedi was on Sky Cinema around Xmas last year and Solo about a month or so ago I think.

So they’re all there if you want to watch. TFA is pretty damn amazing in my view, TLJ is a bit more marmite. Both are definitely worth your time though should they pop up on your TV Guide @Nag ?

The panels for The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars were superb.

Lots of info and screen shots given for The Mandalorian, but no trailer for the people watching at home. They blacked the screen out and showed it to the people attending the panel exclusively, which I’m fine with seeing as they paid a lot of money to be there it’s nice they can experience something that’s just theirs for a while.

Loads of new clips and info about The Clone Wars including the fact that for the big Maul vs Ahsoka duel they actually mo capped Ray Park for Maul which is going to be incredible to see.

Im a little bit bummed out that they are saying 'no more movies, we are doing TV for a bit now' because I feel like the movies have massively under-delivered and Id like them to sort it out. Its a bit like theyve fucked it up and they just arent going to fix it.

Honestly I’m fine with that.

The reason Star Wars was so special is because there was a good 10/15 years between trilogies. 

A new Star Wars movie felt like an event, but the Marvel approach kind of diluted it. Granted, I loved Rogue One and thought Solo was fine, but they were unnecessary side stories. I’m glad Solo “failed” (£700+ million is not a failure, but internet’s gotta internet) and Disney decided to change there approach.

The Star Wars universe is one I feel will benefit from long form televised storytelling, The Clone Wars and Rebels are proof of that, and throwing out a well thought out developed event movie every couple of years is definitely the way to go. 

I think this Star Wars trilogy has suffered because the lack of a plan. The MCU has it’s faults to be sure but over double the amount of movies in such far less time than Star Wars and people keep coming back to it because it’s measured and there’s always a clear direction and no single Marvel film feels like fan service or it exists because fuck it. I don’t even know what this new SW film is about. Apart from the fact they don’t like each other, I’m not even really sure what Rey and Kylo are fighting over. Like they never answered convincingly enough why the galaxy was still in danger between Ep 6 and Ep7. Wasn’t it over? Each to their own but for me a big reason why these films just aren’t delivering because I don’t understand from a story perspective why and I’m not convinced the films do either. I didn’t catch it first time in the new trailer but when they show the broken Death Star it’s like Noooo we did this. Like a million times we did this. 

The lack of a plan or through line I think is what makes Star Wars feel very superficial. I mean i don’t like the prequels either but at least they were somewhat consistent in direction and plot points (Mostly stupid ones, but still)

EDIT: On a re-read that sounds hugely negative. I don’t mean to be. I like Star Wars. Just these films are under delivering, they are not bad necessarily 

I always think with Star Wars, how many films have they done now and they're all about the events of the first film. The only people who matter in the galaxy are related in some way to the same 3 or 4 people, and in all that space, against literally impossible odds, they all happen to be in the right place at the right time, over and over and over again. I'm not surprised the gloss has worn off, especially as there's a Star Wars film every year now

Bob Iger came out and said IX is going to be the last movie for a while sometime last year. Something about realising one a year was the completely wrong approach for Star Wars. Better late than never I guess.

Just watching the Phantom Menace panel at Celebration, it’s a lot of fun.