passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

Star Wars Episode IX: The Last Jedi Was Just A Bad Dream

I have a feel JJ will be doing lots classy retconning to bring it closer to what his idea for IX was originally. He threw out Colin Trevorrow’s script when he signed on so I think there’s going to be a lot packed into it. I would t be surprised if running time hits 3 hours like Avengers: Endgame.

How can you say 7 had depth? That film is as fan service and as easy as they come 

“Let us do the exact same shit, but tweak it a tiny bit”

8 has problems for sure, it’s a better essay than movie. But there’s so much more to unpack and love in than movie that the superficial “look it’s the thing you like!” nature of 7

It’s structured like JJ’s previous film you screaming blue simpleton 

The same reason you misinterpreted he’s post is the same reason you don’t like 8 because you don’t read between the lines

I did not find the thesis of VIII that interesting.

"Leave the past behind". Yes, very good, you took some unexpected turns with some characters. You played with the idea of what roles these characters are supposed to play in a "Star Wars" movie and then undermined people's expectations of them, but that's just one third of the film  The rest of it spe t hours on boring plots with a confusing mutiny sideplot with Laura Dern and then Finn and Rose ran around doin dull shite.

Boo-urns to episode VIII.

The Finn and Rose part is the big glaring thing for me in 8. It is entirely irrelevant as far as I can tell. It is amazing to me that a film like that gets passed through so many thousands of hands and yet combined that was the best thing they thought of them two to do. 

But the thematics of the film everywhere else I just eat up and adore. I know it’s only a little thing, but at the end when the kid is standing there with the broom stick and the force theme swelling it’s like oh that’s what it is. Star Wars is more than Star Wars, and sometimes, like in 7, holding on to all the old shit actually holds it back. Real Star Wars is not a tie fighter sound effect it’s a feeling of adventure.

1 minute ago, DifferentClass said:

Finn and Rose embody the entire thesis of the film. 

Explain. I will accept good justification for that plot lines existence if it can be provided 

Their time in the centre third could have been used better, but the entire film punishes traditional movie heroics.  Poe getting demoted etc.  When Rose stopped Finn's needless suicide run and told him "it's not about killing people you hate but saving the ones you love" (paraphrasing) I think that ties together and sets the precident for everyone elses final decisions. 

Luke distracts them long enough. 

Poe retreets despite his usual decisions. 

Etc