passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

Saw it in 3D (for £4!), because the time suited us better. It didn't really add much, but the 3D was ok. The opening text scroll was probably the best bit on 3D.

I thought it was very good, I'd managed not to hear much about it beforehand so I didn't know any of the important plot points/spoilers.

It had a number of parallels with A New Hope, and did a good job of intergrating characters from the old trilogy with the start of a new story and new set of characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love a Poe comic on how he made it to where he was in Awakens.

post-1727-0-87482300-1452873463_thumb.jp

Poe Dameron, the expert Resistance pilot from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will make his way to his own comic book series this April. Revealed by USA Today, writer Charles Soule and artist Phil Noto will take this character on new adventures.

The book will focus on the lead-up to The Force Awakens and will have Poe seeking out Lor San Tekka on Jakku to find a piece of the map that will lead the Resistance to Luke Skywalker. Fans will learn more about Poe as an X-wing pilot for General Leia Organa, as a new threat from the First Order rises, which will become Poe's nemesis.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/poe-dameron-comic-coming-to-marvel-in-april/1100-154690/

post-1727-0-48585400-1452873839_thumb.pn

• 1 year later...

Yeah it looks cool. Slightly more serious tone compared to Force Awakens perhaps? My concern is it's going to mirror Empire Strikes Back in the same way Force Awakens mirrored New Hope. I think Force gets away with it because nostalgia, not sure they could do it again though. 

• 4 months later...

Lucasfilm just announced that Colin Trevorrow is no longer directing Star Wars: Episode IX.

The following was posted onto StarWars.com

Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.

Rumors about Trevorrow’s possible departure started earlier this summer when his latest film, The Book of Henry, was released to dismal reviews. Fans online immediately lost faith in the director, even though he’d previously directed two much better films, Jurassic World and Safety Not Guaranteed. It felt like the writing was on the wall.

There’s also the feeling that Lucasfilm is simply trying to be slightly more conservative in recent months. After The Force Awakens, the company hired multiple talented, young filmmakers with varying degrees of experience: Josh Trank, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson, Phil Lord, Chris Miller, and Colin Trevorrow. And with the exception of Johnson, so far, each posed unique problems. Trank never shot anything, Edwards reportedly hadRogue One basically taken from him by Tony Gilroy and, of course, Lord and Miller were fired in favor of Ron Howard.

Then there was the recent news that Stephen Daldry was being eyed to direct the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. He’s a talented filmmaker no doubt, but he’s a very safe and dependable choice compared to the other names and that felt like a shift in direction. He’s more Ron Howard than Lord and Miller. Trevorrow leaving feels like the logical continuation of that. He’s a solid filmmaker but isn’t a sure thing. When a company is in the business of making a billion dollars per film or bust, dependable is better than risky.

We can likely expect a replacement to be named soon, as has been the pattern with these changes. And while a short list has yet to emerge, here’s a name I’d like to leave you with: J.J. Abrams.

Star Wars Episode IX is scheduled for release May 24, 2019.

[StarWars.com]

Update: According to The Hollywood Reporter, “that script issues have continued to be the continuing sore spot with Episode IX’s development with Trevorrow having had repeated stabs at multiple drafts....” and “Sources say that the working relationship between Trevorrow and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy became unmanageable. Kennedy, who had already been through one director firing/replacement on the Han Solo spin-off, was not eager for a sequel and tried to avoid this decision.”