passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Power bank vs bigger battery

Sambob

Anybody else been thinking about this?

My LG G3 is awesome, but its not great at efficiently consuming battery meaning that with the heavy use it gets, im having to charge it most days.

So, im looking at either getting a bigger battery or a power bank. I cant figure out which one is going to be the best choice though.

A power bank will give the phone several charges from one of its own charges, but I dont really have a problem finding the time or opportunity to charge the phone. A bigger battery will last longer but also take longer to charge I suppose, but then I have to worry about it maybe exploding as they are pretty much all unofficial.

What are people's thoughts about this, has anybody got either?

From my experience, the battery capacity stats (especially the ones of ebay) tend to be somewhat exaggerated.

Having said that, if your phone is over a year old, swapping out for a new battery normally gives you some extra capacity, especially if you're regularly draining your battery to near empty.

Power banks are a pretty good alternative too, they've got really cheap recently, and you can also charge other stuff with them too, I have an Anker power bank, and I've used it to charge my phone and my vita.

It comes with the drawback that you need to remember that your powerbank needs charging too!

Yeah Ben, what are you, some kind of fucking crazy?!

Jeez, what a jerkoff. What kind of a scumbag plugs random devices into computers etc.

I have a charger at work, which I use off the MAINS (you machine-plugging-in cunt) but its more that the battery in the G3 was never up to the job to start with and over time and constant youtubing and twitch streaming until the battery is empty its reduced the battery life to pretty crazy low levels.

Slightly related but unrelated, my HTC One's charging port no longer grips the cable when charging, it regularly falls out and I often end up going a day running on low charge. I've tried different cables and all of them are too loose, so i'm guessing the port has bollocked up with use over time. It's a right pain in the arse.

Are you sure there isn't pocket fluff on the usb hole? My charger was playin up the other week and that cured it.

When I had my G2 the battery life on that became pretty shocking pretty quickly. It doesn't help that LG add a shit load of junk to the internal services.

Are you sure there isn't pocket fluff on the usb hole? My charger was playin up the other week and that cured it.

When I had my G2 the battery life on that became pretty shocking pretty quickly. It doesn't help that LG add a shit load of junk to the internal services.

I'll have a clean out with a pin and see if that helps. I think I might be due a new phone in the next 6 months so I'm sure I can tolerate having to make sure everything's nice and flat so the charger doesn't disconnect in the meantime if cleaning doesn't work.

IT don't like that.

People have had warnings abut plugging anything into work machines.

I even tried scraping off the two middle pins from a usb charge plug, so it was a "dumb" cable.

I got an email form IT asking what I was up to.

security/paranoia <shrugs>

Why do you and Sam work in 1984?

Whilst my ideal solution in this case would be something like the ZeroLemon battery extension, which swaps a 3000mAh battery for a 9000 one whilst effectively making it a brick, Im going to go with two 3000mAh batteries and a docking station so that I can just cycle between batteries if necessary. The main reason is that three times the battery will be great but will take me three times as long to recharge, whereas with multiple batteries and a decent dock, I can just charge a couple up at a time. Plus its half the price and I wont need to buy a different case.