passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

spatular

Yeah I think so, you in it for the long-haul then Hendo, going to max and replay a load of missions to unlock Mission 45 and 46?

Is the cutscene the one set in Afghanistan?

Just finished Mission 43 myself, and then watched Mission 45 (as there's no way I can get my bond with Quiet upto max unless I replay missions, which is something I just can't be bothered to do) and Mission 46 on YouTube, finished with the game now, 47 hours played, 44% completion.

Pretty damn cool I must say (End game and true ending Spoilers):

Had absolutely no idea that you were playing as the 'Phantom' big boss all that time, I wondered who the fuck that guy was at the start, the game never really explained it, so i just assumed it was Ocelot to be honest, pretty cool twist, but didn't exactly shock me too much as MGS is batshit all over the place anyway :lol: leads into the original Metal Gear (explaining that Snake actually fights the 'phantom' at the end of that game) and the real Big Boss doesn't show up until MG2

Yep, finished that mission, got credits and then did the big twist mission.

Extreme spoilers contained within.

I was speaking about this to Sly who said a mate of his told him, "I don't know why everyone else didn't see that coming."

I accidentally spoiled the twist well before I finished reading a line about a fake Big Boss but I still couldn't see how that came to be.

The thing is, the only thing that gave it away was the bandaged Boss having the same voice but I figured it was a Fight Club thing. It's cool how it takes your original character back into it.

I've been listening to the Giant Bomb spoiler cast and they brought up that Kojima always said that a real MGS sequel would never use Roman numerals so maybe the plan was for this to be a side story and a real MGS5 would be made. Now, fairly unlikely.

I still haven't finished that mission so there's more for me to see and tapes to listen to. Looking forward to getting my fill.

Still doing side missions on this, cleaning up different bits and pieces.

One of the more useful items I've found is an infinite bandana which not only gives you unlimited ammo but also doesn't break your suppressors, which is pretty much ace.

• 2 years later...

I gave up on this game after getting about 10 hours in, it just didn't particularly grab me. Went back to it last night thanks to it being PS plus and had a great time. Spent a few hours doing a mission, a couple of sides and generally just pissing about. I'm itching to get back home and play it some more.

Managed to clear up another few side-ops last night, including one where I had to rescue a few prisoners. Managed to clear an entire base with only one casualty (a guy on a watchtower bang in the middle - he got bombarded). Also found out there was a reward screen for various achievements, so managed to get loads of extra staff for my base, unlocking several new toys. There's a hell of a lot of game here, going to keep me out of trouble for a while!

I'm really loving this. No idea why I bailed on it first time through (think that might have been the time I got stuck into Smite so just got lured away). Managed to unlock the merc missions last night and subsequently got hooked on recruiting. Went around towns just fultoning any halfwit that could carry a gun, and managed to boost most of my base departments two-three levels in the process.

Also did a few sides and a main mission, actually manage to go full stealth and barely alert anyone. On the flip side I had a cracking moment where I had to take out a convoy of tanks, so i lined the road with C4 which took out the first one, which then resulted in a crazy horseback chase with a rocket launcher through an enemy encampment that ended up with a ridiculously high body count, and me covered in blood.

Another three hours, and despite a disastrous start (piddling around with the music tapes, not realising my helicopter was trying to land next to an armoured vehicle), I had a great session. Did a main mission and two or three side ops without being detected at all, and successfully fultoning every member of personnel - love using the decoy followed up by a load of smoke grenades to cause mass confusion and pick a group apart.

Also managed to sort Quiet out (after pissing around hiding for half an hour, just aerial bombarded the shit out of her) which resulted in a bonkers cutscene. Story-wise I still haven't got the foggiest idea what's going on, but i'm having such a good time piddling around I don't particularly care.

Another couple of hours on this over the weekend, I love how I can just dip in and out of this game without coming back to it and feeling lost.

After stealthing it up and maxing out my bases staff in the last few sessions, and possibly fuelled by a mission where I had to destroy as many oncoming vehicles in a time limit as I could, I went a bit full on with a side op. I had to extract a highly skilled soldier, so crept around some ruins, placing C4 on their air defence building and on a few red barrels around the area. Crept around again getting near to the bloke I needed and luckily, as it hit night, he came to switch the power on. A tranq dart to the head and a fulton extraction, followed by a bombardment on a large cluster of enemies, C4 detonation and chopper support meant I cleared the base without having to engage a single enemy, leaving me to bask in the afterglow of a perfect plan like John Hannibal Smith.

Great time with this last night - only went on to do the Emmerich mission (third time was the charm) and before I knew it 1am flew by. Managed to beat that mission, as well as three more (one of which I got my first S rank on) and a handful of side missions. Also managed to bag two new buddies which were both great to use, although I do miss having D Horse shit in the road to make vehicles skid out. 

Man this game's big as well - i've been doing side ops predominantly and only just had the reward for clearing 10% of them pop.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still plugging away at this. Up to 19% completion now, which considering it's the only game i've been playing for a month means i'm probably good until Christmas!

I got really stuck on mission 14, where you have to follow an interrogator around trying to save prisoners, before he finally leads you to a translator. On about the fifth attempt, after messing up really bad on the previous attempts - I finally managed to get the S rank. Pretty chuffed with that as so far it's been the most unforgiving stealth mission. Finally unlocked Quiet as well!

• 1 year later...

Put close to 8 hours into this and I’m really enjoying it.

Started off a bit rocky and I didn’t enjoy the Find Kaz training mission at all, but I’m getting into the rhythm of the gameplay now and falling in love with it. 

I really didn’t like the controls at first and was pissed off I couldn’t remap them, but I’m getting used to them now so it’s not too bad. I was crap at sneaking around too and kept getting caught, at one point I just switched to first-person and played it like an FPS until everything was dead. I had a look through all the option menus and found I could switch aim assist off though and things improved greatly after that. No idea why it’s switched on by default, it’s awful.

I’m not a fan of open world games at all (BotW is the exception) as I find them too overwhelming and get choice paralysis, so I’m a big fan of how then missions take place in smaller areas on a larger map.

I’m also a fan of the mission structure. I absolutely loved Peace Walker, it’s my joint favourite MGS game (with Snake Eater) and this definitely feels like the sequel to that game more than anything.

The shortish length of the missions makes it perfect to pick up and play when I don’t have a lot of time before work. 

I’m just sneaking around tranqing anyone ranked C or higher at the moment and sending them back to Mother Base then killing everyone else.

I’m only of mission 7 I think, I’ve just done the first main story mission where you have to nick the rocket launcher and escape from those weird Skull soldiers. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.