passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

spatular

Almost 10 hours in now, and very close to throwing in the towel I must say.

I'm losing patience and motivation already, I'll play a bit more tomorrow and if I'm still as bored as I was earlier I'm going to throw in the towel I think, just not really getting anything out of it, usually I find stealth games extremely satisfying and exhilarating, they're actually one of my favourite genres but I just don't get any satisfaction or enjoyment out of this, it just feels like a series of training missions set in an identical environment with almost identical enemies.

Same as Hendo. Haven't really played anything for the last few days with friends being up. But I've been planning in my head what I'm going do to improve my base.

Don't really get the controls argument ether. There's a lot you can do but it's easily the best controlling/responsive metal gear there's been. There was an interesting discussion on one of Giantbomb's things (it might of been the Pax panel) where they discussed console action games controls and they didn't really find their feet till RE4/Gears kinda time. Halo nailing FPS controls before that.

MGS 1/2/3's controls haven't aged too well but at the time they felt good to me.

How can you not like a game where you can do this..

Got the dog and met Quiet. They are apparently optional and can be missed so I would Google for how to get them if you don't want to miss out. I missed the dog but went back to the mission where he first appears and he's still there so I picked him up.

Quiet certainly has some boobs, I'll say that.

i hate the stupid dog. it thinks it's so ace, finding stuff all the time. but it's stupid.

but yeah still really enjoying the game, it's pretty awesome.

setup an online base thing today, i don't fully understand how it works but apparently it is beneficial even though it means people can steal your stuff, but only from the extra stuff it provides...or something. not that it matters as the servers are down most of the time anyway.

edit - i'm not tranqing the baddies as much now as they often have helmets, sneaking and cqc-ing them where possible.

Don't think this is a spoiler (not story related) but just in case anyone didn't know and didn't want to know.

Got the ability unlocked to send men out to do missions for me. Sent a few out to limit enemy helmets, you can also limit shotguns, etc. Also send guys out to do missions to get more resources and money.

I presume this means online stuff is unlocked now, but the server is still pretty unstable.

Played 3 hours of it today, 12 hours total, I was still getting a bit bored at times (driving to the different platforms at mother base, having to ride the horse along the barren uninteresting landscape) but the base stuff (even if it's essentially just the same thing over and over again) I did enjoy maybe a bit more, its earned another day's play anyway, I think possibly my downfall is/was doing too many of the side-ops, I'm used to doing all the side-missions first in AC and such but with this they just seem never-ending and I think maybe I've been burning myself out on them as they're even more repetitive than the main missions, so I think I need to focus on the story stuff for a bit and dip back in and out of the side ops stuff when the mood takes me.

think i've finished this now...not completely sure there isn't more story stuff to unlock mind.

no big spoilers, and no story spoilers but just in case - more about the mission structure later in the game:

there are some missions at the end that are earlier missions but with modifiers to make them harder, there's about 7 of those I haven't done yet (edit - 4 left now). i've done a few of these repeated levels and they're pretty hard so not sure i'll be able to do them all. but i've done all the "story" missions it looks like anyway...i wouldn't be surprised if there was more story stuff hidden away mind.

mother base fast travel spoiler:

hide in a box on one of the small cargo platform things. you can do this in mother base and between big bases in the missions - but for the ones outside mother base you have to find the labels for each of these first - go up to them and hold circle.

overall, the game is totally awesome. i mean it has it's problems but they're massively outweighed by the awesomeness imo.

edit - i've not done that many side missions.

and my FOB keeps getting invaded :(

edit2 - i have finished it. woohoooo. might go back and try to do some more mission objectives on earlier missions.

This week's Bombcast is mostly all MGSV discussion and although there is some story spoiler stuff in there (nothing too much but a character name got dropped in that I wasn't expecting) it's a valuable discussion.

It brings home the idea that it's the most open-ended open world game made yet. In the sense that you have total freedom of how to do missions.

An example of this for me is that a guy in work was telling me of a mission he was struggling with where he had to blow up some tanks and C4 wasn't working out so he was gonna grind to get a rocket launcher and do that.

I played that mission after he told me about it and called in an air strike. Job done!

It was expensive to call in but I completed the mission without being anywhere near the tanks or soldiers.

For Sly's reference - it was in the same location you watched me do a mission in, the base near a thing that looked like a cave.

Looking forward to listening to the Bombcast at work later.

This game is phenomenal. I've only done the first six main missions and about the same amount of side-ops, but it's all I'm thinking about. Crazy good. It's as if Hideo's been thinking So you want more gameplay, huh? Well here, have this. *drops mic*. I haven't played anything else since it arrived, although I did restart Metal Gear Solid (the only one I've ever completed) on my Vita yesterday. Can't get enough. :wub:

19 hours played now, enjoying the game much more over the past 6 hours or so of play, but haven't done a complete 180 on it exactly. There are still a few things that bug me about the game and I've had a few problems with the (otherwise great) AI being able to spot me through walls and such, but the missions I've done have been much, better, more enjoyable and have featured some new locales in Afghanistan I hadn't seen before and some characters/buddies I unlocked, so it was a pretty cool last 6 hours or so, definitely feels like the game is hitting its stride now and I am well in the groove with the controls, managing Mother-Base, sending teams off to do missions and stuff, very cool.

On Monday I did a couple of side-ops, but focused largely on the main missions, did a couple of those and then found I needed a missile launcher to do the next ones so went back and attempted another side-op, finished off that side-op yesterday and then moved onto the remaining story missions as I now had enough of an R&D rank to be able to unlock a missile launcher, did one of these and it unlocked a few more side-ops, one of which was marked in yellow and seemed like it was necessary in order to unlock some more main missions.

So, I took off from Mother Base to go do this mission and get a cutscene which shows the Puppy I picked up near the start is now all grown up and looking fierce, pretty damn cool, I'm a dog lover so the dog was always going to be one of my favourite buddies to get from the get-go. Dropped into Afghanistan near the mission objective, quite annoying not having the horse as I had to leg it with the dog all the way from where the Chopper dropped me off to the objective marker,

as I got near though it kicked into a cutscene and I realised that this is where you recruit Quiet. Pretty awesome Sniper-Battle with her, wasn't hard or anything, but cool, suspenseful and reminded me of the CoD:WaW sniper battle slightly, after this more awesome story cutscenes played out that I was in awe of really

and then back to Mother Base where I left it, Kojima's genius definitely shining through yesterday and I can't wait to see where the game takes me next.

Crazy how much some of the game design reminds me of Assassin's Creed, particularly Brotherhood (albeit without the towers and the Parkour and more guns) in terms of being able to send groups out on missions and the whole Mother Base stuff reminding me of the Montereggio stuff as well, I know Kojima has said that he was compelled to make MGS open-world from seeing the first AC in 2007 so I guess some of those influences shone through in the final product.

How is the story on this? Is it still confusing as fuck? Ive played 2 of the previous games in the series and couldnt honestly tell you what happened in either game. I cant even understand the wikipedia explanations of the plot, it reads like a Mexican soap opera.

It's very confusing in this but for different reasons - you do way more gameplay than watch cut scenes so I have little clue what's going on.

As an example, earlier one of the characters says to you, ".....but let's not forget the real objective here, Boss."

And I thought, what is the real objective? I can't even remember what the main plot is. I got out of a coma, left the hospital, built a base and started building an army. Why? No idea.

Questions regarding buddy stuff:

Got Quiet but not had use of her yet, is this something that happens as the game progresses or do I have to do something else?

Same for the dog, does it just get older at some point?

Also, did the mission to extract Emmerich. Had the option to get the walker which obviously I wanted but couldn't carry Emmerich with me so fired the walker up and carried Emmerich to the chopper instead with a view to coming back for the walker. That didn't happen so have I lost it now or can I go back to that base and steal one?

It's very confusing in this but for different reasons - you do way more gameplay than watch cut scenes so I have little clue what's going on.

As an example, earlier one of the characters says to you, ".....but let's not forget the real objective here, Boss."

And I thought, what is the real objective? I can't even remember what the main plot is. I got out of a coma, left the hospital, built a base and started building an army. Why? No idea.

They are seeking revenge for what happened in Ground Zeroes.

Questions regarding buddy stuff:

Got Quiet but not had use of her yet, is this something that happens as the game progresses or do I have to do something else?

Same for the dog, does it just get older at some point?

Also, did the mission to extract Emmerich. Had the option to get the walker which obviously I wanted but couldn't carry Emmerich with me so fired the walker up and carried Emmerich to the chopper instead with a view to coming back for the walker. That didn't happen so have I lost it now or can I go back to that base and steal one?

yeah for quiet and the stupid dog you just get them a bit later, there maybe some missions/side ops required but they'll be highlighted by yellow dot iirc.

for the walker, i guess you need to extract one at some point, i got one in that mission but it got blown up so i think i got the walker from extracting one in another mission - not sure though. i seem to remember carrying him with the walker.

i haven't written about why i like the game so much yet - the majority of the missions are brilliant (and a lot of the side ops too), there's so many options about how to tackle stuff, even though i've only tried about half the gadgets so far, it reminds me a bit of deus ex in that way. being super stealthy is cool, but if you get spotted it's still really fun trying to recover the situation, reflex mode helps with this, giving you a chance to remain undetected. the open world is cool because it lets you find new ways into bases and stuff. fultoning stuff is fun and addictive - maybe too much so as i often get spotted because i'm trying to extract everything. the gameplay is so far ahead of previous metal gear games it's like a different game, but at the same time it keeps lots of things from those games, i'm not sure how it manages this. i liked the story too.

like i've said before though there's a number of things i don't like - boss/skull battles - travel can be slow and the online mother base aspect is pretty confusing.

Listening to a bunch of podcasts this week makes it sound like there's less of the stuff I don't like about the other Metal Gear Solid games: (the writing, the story, the voice acting, the characters, the gameplay).

The descriptions of this sandbox world where you're able to approach missions in all sorts of different ways, sounds pretty good. I'm slightly tempted.