Sly Reflex

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Yeah I agree the Alien got annoying at times but it carried a threat that the Bakers didn't, which I think attributed to both the fear and annoyance. Baker sees you; run (not even that at times) and hide a bit. Alien sees you; 💀.

Plus how smart it is; after successfully evading VS being dropped in to keep you on your toes. 

I think if they're smart he only turns up at set points like in the original. Provides that adrenaline surge. Then fucks off. 

I played that demo. It starts off in the police station so might be a bit spoilery if you don't want to see that stuff yet.

It's kind of a wild demo content wise. I think you can explore almost all the police station or at least as much of it as I remember. The catch is you don't have much time to see it.

It seems fine. It assuages one of my main concerns which is would the zombos be easy to deal with but I got overwhelmed a lot here. The knife counterattack from REmake is back but here you use the combat knife to do it and it can break (so no buttering zombies to death over and over like in CVX or RE4)

DwkxxGnXgAA1nEC.jpg:large

Screenshots

Spoiler

DwkzLjcWsAUqu3W.jpg:large

Dwkx0bYXcAY2GMc.jpg:large

Dwkx8AoWwAUjwk1.jpg:large

Dwkx3I_XcAInCx8.jpg:large

One thing I want to add is I had a very tough time making the game look good on my TV. The dark scenes look grey. My TV is fairly mid to budget range so it's not going to have the highest quality picture. But looking online it sounds like complaints about overly high black levels in HDR are common.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resident-evil-2-1-shot-demo-releasing-january-11th-to-31st-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc-up-on-psn-xbl-nz.92076/page-16#post-16738470

I'm happy you've had the chance, it's not even up on the Xbox store yet....😢

It’s not up anywhere until tomorrow....

Think he must’ve downloaded it from the NZ PSN store or something.

I'm at work until 7am... It'll be tomorrow afternoon when I play.

Heard that this is going to have 'adaptive difficulty.'

I'm not sure that's the way to go with a horror game. It's like you're aware that the game is actually helping you beat it.

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

They should do an adaptive difficulty where the game just gets harder the more you die. Call it Itagaki mode.

Demon's Souls was good for that. Not only were you reduced to half health from (your first) death, it decreased the more you died. Plus you made the World Tendency darker making enemies even stronger.

The original "Git Gud" 😄

16 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Can anyone beat my record of 18:33 with 1 death? I reckon not

PS Communities_20190111_144338.jpg

Nya nya.😉

Well,this is brilliant. I ran the time out and died once. Even more excited for the main game now. 

Totally worth it,the end reveal in that trailer? Yes. All the yes.

I did 17:30 with zero deaths. 

I enjoyed it, it’s confirmed to me I wanted it doing in the original REmake style though instead of over the shoulder. But I’m still excited and even thinking of pre-ordering. And I never pre-order anymore. The classic  resi feel is still there, loved exploring the station searching for items to further progression and finding notes. Loved how the skin would blow off on the zombies faces when you shot them there too, looks cool! It’s still Resi 2 as well which was my favourite one of the classics. 

The camera needs a bit of adjusting IMO though, it flys about at the lightest touch of the stick. I was also having problems with the lighting levels and it didn’t look as sharp as I’d hope - playing on a X. 

Pretty certain that wasn't 4k... Should look better with the final release.👍

With the whole black levels thing it seems it can do black just fine outside the station. But when you go into that hallway you can see how it's pitch black at first but then turns to a milky blueish grey hue which kills the atmosphere.

If you watch this old build its way darker. Maybe they thought they went too dark or something

Edit : I watched some more of that video and some screens are just a black screen with nothing on it 🤣

Darker than DOOM 3

Like i said in the demo thread, i think it's an artistic choice...

The skin flapping off heads after you shot them is awesome. So is the massive scar across the face of the poor sod killed by a Licker.

Got the Digital Deluxe edition preordered,for the original game’s soundtrack.

My finger is on the trigger for that digital deluxe edition. I hate how Capcom do that tho. Basic baiting people with the super expensive editions

Playing some REVII right now. I reckon they could put a FP camera into RE2 and do VR if they wanted. I bet the RE2 codebase is full of REVII stuff still.

Looking at that IGN video, it looks as if HDR is disabled on it. I started on the Xbox One with HDR turned off and it was very similar to that (maybe not quite so dark but not far off) 

I'm not sure whether I'll stick with it off or not when it actually releases.