passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Sly Reflex

10 minutes ago, OCH said:

That's not assumption, nor is it childish, that is how these things work. The number of reviews I read wherein if something scores below an 8 or 9 (out of ten) It is considered "trash" or if others vocally hail it as the Second Coming, the reviewer is called out for "hating" on whatever the piece of media is.

It is "all or nothing" now, that is the current knee-jerk reactionary state of the internet.

EDIT: My standpoint is that of cynicism towards the honesty of the review based on the language used, albeit paraphrased. I'm on the fence with the game itself. Nemesis was my favourite of the Original Trilogy and I prefer Silent Hill to Resi as a series, regardless. 

It is assumption, you've jumped over the possibility that's his genuine thoughts on the game in favour that he's given that score for clicks. You're entitled to think that, but you've no evidence of it 

Anyway, I'm still up in the air over whether to get this at launch. I've finished the Witcher 3 dlc I was on so I doubt my willpower will hold out 

To back you up a bit @DANGERMAN I do agree this dude is entitled to his criticism.  It's just not one I find interesting or useful.  I'm not interested whether he did it for "click-bait" or not; on it's face its not the kind of criticism I find interesting.

I did know a guy who would throw his hands up and roll his eyes if a character could continue a running animation while running into a wall.  He'd maybe find this kind of criticism useful.

Like you said, it's all about what you've been taught to do in the game.  But I'm pretty sure RE games don't make a habit of teaching you weaponry works on locked doors.  And with your chest high wall example, I find games that use them are pretty good at communicating the kinds of pieces of environment you can interact with in that way and ones you can't.  They do usually establish the rules pretty well.

On the topic of making assumptions about reviewers, when I read PC Gamer’s 68% reviewer of Dragon Quest XI, before I had played the game, I immediately assumed that the reiewer didn’t “get” Dragon Quest and was way off the mark about the game.  Then I played it and realised that it was the score that most aligned with my opinion of the game! 

There’s probably a lesson for me there but I’m not sure that I’ve learned it. :D

7 out of 10 isn't a bad score.

If the reviewer has a history of marking things a bit lower and this game is no different then I don't really see what the problem is. Everyone has a different barometer on what makes a good game and how they mark that down when they come to putting a number under the words.

You look at artsy esoteric shit and it gets high marks from some people. You look at AAA games like CoD and they get high marks from some people. It's all about finding a reviewer you trust or even better trying the game yourself and forming an opinion there.

Game reviewing isn't black and white.

I'm on the fence with this. On the one hand, I played the demo last night and loved it. Plays like Resi 4 (a game I absolutely loved), and i've never played Resi 2 so it'll all be new.

On the other hand - i'm such a massive wimp. Almost had four heart attacks playing through it - not sure I could survive the whole game. I'm genuinely terrified by any sequence in games that require a torch.

Definitely lights out. 

Any other approach would would be a gaming faux pas.

Lights out and the hardest difficulty.**

**I'm not playing it like that. I just think you lot should so I can read about it.