passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Sly Reflex

29 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

That took me fucking forever to figure out.

That's nothing, try Broken Sword. The segment with the Cat on the beach in the second game, for a specific example.

It's called Video Game Logic. Anyone with even a brief interest in gaming is well aware of it. Games would be stupid without it, as odd as that sounds. The 75% reviewer doesn't have a valid point, they are just being asinine. Probably clickbaiting..

I played those. That fucking goat, man.

Have you played Myst? That took cryptic shit up to the nth degree.

On topic, I'm quite surprised there's not perfect scores being bandied about. That was my prediction a while back, looks like I was off the mark a little bit.

8 minutes ago, OCH said:

That's nothing, try Broken Sword. The segment with the Cat on the beach in the second game, for a specific example.

It's called Video Game Logic. Anyone with even a brief interest in gaming is well aware of it. Games would be stupid without it, as odd as that sounds. The 75% reviewer doesn't have a valid point, they are just being asinine. Probably clickbaiting..

game logic being known to be stupid doesn't stop it from being stupid. I agree some games need it to work and it's best not to question it, but if a game shines a light on something it just makes you more aware of it. Like when you reach a chest high wall and your otherwise physically perfect avatar can't manage to climb over it, it's dumb, there's ways around it

Complaining RE2's design feels archaic is perfectly valid, how would it not be? The game is a remake, it's trying to hark back to the old games, if you don't like why would you not be allowed to mention that? 

and I always find the clickbait argument a bit weird. It seems awfully shortsighted to get hits by upsetting people, it just means you've made a bunch of people adamant they'll never visit your site again

I tend to find the "it's not realistic" criticism of Resident Evil puzzles a total bore.

The classic RE games are an offshoot of the Adventure Game genre so the unapologetic design to the puzzles is more than fine with me.  For the most part I am totally fine with abstract game design elements being fully present in games.  I always see games, whatever the genre, to be a problem to be solved.  The mechanics are the rules and the gameplay is the problem.  I get more frustrated when the rules aren't shown clearly enough and cause you to make mistakes.  Level design that leads you into invisible walls, for example.  I don't mind invisible walls if the game is structured and subtly sign posted in a way where I won't interact with them.

33 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

game logic being known to be stupid doesn't stop it from being stupid. I agree some games need it to work and it's best not to question it, but if a game shines a light on something it just makes you more aware of it. Like when you reach a chest high wall and your otherwise physically perfect avatar can't manage to climb over it, it's dumb, there's ways around it

Complaining RE2's design feels archaic is perfectly valid, how would it not be? The game is a remake, it's trying to hark back to the old games, if you don't like why would you not be allowed to mention that? 

and I always find the clickbait argument a bit weird. It seems awfully shortsighted to get hits by upsetting people, it just means you've made a bunch of people adamant they'll never visit your site again

But, by the same token, if your "physically perfect avatar" doesn't have the ability to surmount the chest high wall, defined within the game mechanics, then it ceases to be "dumb" and is merely a barrier to gate progress.

Complaining that a REmake of a 21 year old game doesn't play like Resident Evil 8 is stupid on so many levels. To mention it as a negative is merely ignorant of the fact it isn't a new game, just a remodelled older game.

As for Clickbait, in the pursuit of "celebrity" in some people's eyes, notoriety is just as good a ticket to fame as any other. Some people swarm towards That guy, more often than refuse to ever heed him again. 

Nah. The Resi games have always been about puzzle solving to open doors. Even Resi 7 did that. So complaining about “not being able to blow up doors” is just a bloody stupid opinion. Where’s the challenge in that? Then he’d be complaining “it’s too easy”,because he’d be blazing through areas by destroying doors left right and centre.

Its a stupid opinion,and misses the point entirely.

@DifferentClass Yeah same, so long as there's narrative consistency, so it makes sense within its own world I tend not to bat an eyelid. Similarly if a game makes no attempt to ground anything, then it's "just" a game. It's when you can kick one thing down but not something else, things like that 

Edit:

@OCH criticising how a game plays is literally the point of reviews. If he thinks it's old fashioned then he's every right to say so. This is a franchise that was regularly criticised for feeling old fashioned prior to Resident Evil 4, how can the same complaint not be valid now? Especially as in other ways this game has been modernised.

I'm really struggling with the problem with this criticism. If it's invalid there's no point in Capcom releasing this game and none of us need to play it, just play the original

2nd edit ? :

I think his point, at least what I took from it (maybe there's something lost in translation), is the design feels old not that you actually should be able to blow the (bloody) doors off. And it does, that's the point 

1 minute ago, Nag said:

You can take the argument to stupid lengths to be honest, I've just been stepped on by a forty foot Dragon why am I still moving? I've just been shot twelve times... hang on I'll just crouch down for four seconds and I'll be right as rain, it all gets a little silly picking at certain things but not others.

But people do pull that stuff up. How many times have you survived multiple gun shots in a game only to die from a 6ft drop, or worse, get dropped by 1 bullet in a cut scene. We've all complained about that at some point 

Just now, OCH said:

@DANGERMAN What did he expect a remake to play like? It would be like bemoaning a HD Collection for having no new content. As @AndyKurosaki said, it misses the point entirely.

Again, it doesn't matter what he expected, it probably plays exactly how he expected it to play, I'm sure a game reviewer has encountered Resident Evil before, if he doesn't enjoy it its a valid criticism 

1 minute ago, Nag said:

You don't mark a game down in reviews for it though, as far as I'm aware. @DANGERMAN

Depends on how egregious it is. I think it's a problem with the climbing in both Tomb Raider and Uncharted at points, I'd mention it if I was reviewing them. I'm not going to mark God of War down because he struggled to open a door while he can also flip a building 

@DANGERMAN As I said before, from this review, the reviewer will garner the rep as "that guy who hates Resident Evil" or "the Fanboy who hated the remake" etc etc Marking down something old for being old, is not valid in any media.

5 minutes ago, OCH said:

@DANGERMAN As I said before, from this review, the reviewer will garner the rep as "that guy who hates Resident Evil" or "the Fanboy who hated the remake" etc etc Marking down something old for being old, is not valid in any media.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. It's not old, he's not reviewing the original game, and even if he was reviewing a re-release he'd still be able to call out its legacy problems. For example, Shenmue, Shadow of the Colossus, both of those games have been held to a standard last year they weren't on release, because to do otherwise would be useless 

5 minutes ago, OCH said:

You're assuming that based on nothing. If he'd given a less than glowing review to a game you didn't care about, or even didn't like, you wouldn't be accusing him of writing a 'bad' review for hits. Shouting clickbait at a 7/10 review is a bit childish 

9 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

You're assuming that based on nothing. If he'd given a less than glowing review to a game you didn't care about, or even didn't like, you wouldn't be accusing him of writing a 'bad' review for hits. Shouting clickbait at a 7/10 review is a bit childish 

That's not assumption, nor is it childish, that is how these things work. The number of reviews I read wherein if something scores below an 8 or 9 (out of ten) It is considered "trash" or if others vocally hail it as the Second Coming, the reviewer is called out for "hating" on whatever the piece of media is.

It is "all or nothing" now, that is the current knee-jerk reactionary state of the internet.

EDIT: My standpoint is that of cynicism towards the honesty of the review based on the language used, albeit paraphrased. I'm on the fence with the game itself. Nemesis was my favourite of the Original Trilogy and I prefer Silent Hill to Resi as a series, regardless.