passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Sly Reflex

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

They should do an adaptive difficulty where the game just gets harder the more you die. Call it Itagaki mode.

Demon's Souls was good for that. Not only were you reduced to half health from (your first) death, it decreased the more you died. Plus you made the World Tendency darker making enemies even stronger.

The original "Git Gud" ?

I did 17:30 with zero deaths. 

I enjoyed it, it’s confirmed to me I wanted it doing in the original REmake style though instead of over the shoulder. But I’m still excited and even thinking of pre-ordering. And I never pre-order anymore. The classic  resi feel is still there, loved exploring the station searching for items to further progression and finding notes. Loved how the skin would blow off on the zombies faces when you shot them there too, looks cool! It’s still Resi 2 as well which was my favourite one of the classics. 

The camera needs a bit of adjusting IMO though, it flys about at the lightest touch of the stick. I was also having problems with the lighting levels and it didn’t look as sharp as I’d hope - playing on a X. 

With the whole black levels thing it seems it can do black just fine outside the station. But when you go into that hallway you can see how it's pitch black at first but then turns to a milky blueish grey hue which kills the atmosphere.

If you watch this old build its way darker. Maybe they thought they went too dark or something

Edit : I watched some more of that video and some screens are just a black screen with nothing on it ?

Darker than DOOM 3

My finger is on the trigger for that digital deluxe edition. I hate how Capcom do that tho. Basic baiting people with the super expensive editions

Playing some REVII right now. I reckon they could put a FP camera into RE2 and do VR if they wanted. I bet the RE2 codebase is full of REVII stuff still.

I've played it now.

I didn't finish the demo because I'm a slow idiot but I think I've seen enough to come to the current conclusion that's it's pretty good.

At first I was disgusted that RE4 controls aren't in it but then I thought "okay RE2 '19, lets do it your way".  I don't really like the controls; they're a bit too float-y for my liking but I think I could get used to them.  It's just that there is these wide arcs the movement has and navigating these claustrophobic, dark corridors isn't the most ideal.

Shooting is fine.  I like the pace the cross-hair shrinks into a accurate shot.  It doesn't just gradually shrink it stops about 65% for a beat or two then instantly goes into a fully accurate shot.  It makes the shooting quite tense as you line up and wait for the cross-hair to indicate a pin point shot.

It also looks like there is some long term barricading mechanic which should give managing enemy placements and inventory another dynamic beyond ammo conservation.

There looks like there is lots of silly puzzles which don't seem to be straight up lifted from the original so it should even feel quite new even if you've played that one to death.

It looks really cool, very serious business unlike the original but that's fine as it seems to be pulling it off pretty well.  The atmosphere is great and it has lots of lovely giblets all nicely rendered.  I liked the performance of the Lieutenant as well.

So I guess I will be picking this up sometime.

And here is me playing kinda badly in a panic:

For context I thought there might be a stealth kill mechanic for some reason then I got in a bit of a shooty panic.  But it made me laugh a bit when I shot him as he was getting up and the dialogue synced up quite well.

I had my go with the demo.

I found the controls ok so kept with the default. Leon plays surprisingly heavy, a bit slow to turn around.

Not overly keen on the 30 minute limit - I ended not by dying but by running out of time because I got lost trying to find my way back to the main hall.

I found a key I needed but didn’t have the space to carry it, so needed to get back to the item box but got stuck and couldn’t figure out how I got from the main hall to where I was.

Generally impressed though. I think it would’ve been better to have a demo that ended once you got to a certain point, rather than time it.

13 minutes ago, Middle_Class_Hero said:

Yes. I’m sat at my laptop hovering over the BUY icon on ShopTo.

Whether my index finger twitches depends on the answer to my question.....

it does the noise, but there's no voice. It's just a demo so who knows, but based on the demo it's the worst Resident Evil game ever

2 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

it does the noise, but there's no voice. It's just a demo so who knows, but based on the demo it's the worst Resident Evil game ever

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Capcom, you’re killing me here!!!!!

Bought it anyway. 

I presume they’ll be a Day 1 patch.....