passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Sly Reflex

I was playing some RE1 remake the other night. Hard mode as Chris. It's easy to forget just how full of consequence every decision you make in that game is. Like entering a new room with low ammo or heals, something which happens too much cause of Chris' rubbish inventory slot limits.

I died twice outside the first safe room in the game beside the staircase and gave up. But loaded up another night and got to the first save room and started burning fools with fuel cause I ain't up for dealing with crimson heads later.

I don't have much nostalgia for RE cause I came to it very late but theres so much push and pull in that original game (PS1 and remake) when it comes to managing resources and handling threats. I've been wondering for a while if this RE2 remake will have any of that. From what little I gather they've gotten rid of the rubber banding from post RE4 where enemies drop ammo if you're having a hard time but the little bits of footage I've seen I'm not getting that same sense of oppression that the older ones have. It just sort of looks like those Revelations games but scarier, but I haven't been watching much footage of it really cause Capcom show too much of their games

Resi was always more about jump scares or fear of being caught/hit by the enemies because of the limited controls. It leaned more into action than others aswell; the arsenal you carried was way more than other similar games like Alone in the dark or Silent Hill. I preferred it for this reason.

I think the nod of it getting easier could be the inventory management. If you knew what weapon/ammo type to use where, Resi was always easier. 

On 05/12/2018 at 14:49, Nag said:

If this sells well maybe it'll happen (I just hope Capcom have realistic expectations) it always seems to me that Nemesis is viewed as the black sheep of the family (not by me, it's probably my favourite after RE-make) at the time of release anyway.

I always thought The RE Black Sheep was Code: Veronica? Personally Nemesis was my favourite of the original Trilogy. I always viewed him as the best way to make your antagonist a sustained threat. Walking through a quiet (previously 'safe zone') courtyard, then BAM Nemesis runs around the corner.. The tension was palpable in my younger days.

Oppressive I mean in how every zombie is a massive threat in those old games cause of limited space, not just ammo. The few bits of footage I've seen make the zombies seem easier to deal with. It's not specifically mood that I'm talking about, there just seems a good deal more space to move around in.

The old game used space against you very well. Early in RE1 there is a section near a saferoom on two levels with zombies on each side of the hallway on the upper level and another just around the corner at the foot of the staircase on the lower level.

You have to make some key decisions very quickly there and in my playthrough just the other night I made the wrong decision twice and paid dearly. All cause it's so claustrophobic. It's oppressive cause there's no room to breathe around every corner

The tight corridors and limited inventory played up the "survival" aspect of the game too. Although the series is traditionally Survival Horror, that element has been diminished with each successive game.

Yeah you run up and do the ol switcheroo and they're like "ruuhhhh??..."

But it's scary doing that in a hallway with three zombos ☹️

I think it probably doesn't work as well in the non PS1 games. Either cause of greater grabbing range or different AI or something. I've only managed it a few times so far

But either way it's where where the push pull with "do I kill them or do I mrun past?" comes in. Being frugal is good but being a Scrooge is stupid and I sort of miss this part with the current series. Even a lone zombo can cause real trouble either by catching you with your guard down or cause you forget to burn the body in the remake.

The crimson head was such a great mechanics. In lots of ways the remake is kind of easier than the OG but that one mechanic adds a lot of panic if you forget to take care of a dead zombo. Suddenly that tiny hallway in the mansion becomes a dangerous bottleneck of very aggressive zombos cause you weren't diligent enough.

Course they all pale in comparison to those froggo assholes (the real reason the OG is harder to my recollection anyway).

This is like the 4th or 5th edit to this post but RE is why I don't hate backtracking in games. Some games need it, I hope RE2 has it so you aren't just passing through and you have to make these decisions all the time if you're going to return to an area often.

That sounds.. like a step backwards from the OG game? REmake only added to the base game, you would have thought Remake 2 would follow suit. Hopefully Hunk and Tofu won't be left on the cutting room floor in that case...

You could swerve in and around the zombie's in the earlier games. Tricky if space is tight but you should never be that short on a health pick me up. Leave taking your health until absolutely necessary (skirting around in red sometimes). One or two zombies you'd put to the floor with a quick kneecap or headshot (flicking up n pre firing) then swipe with your knife as they're getting back up. 

I think this remake will be better than VII but somehow not capture what I loved about 2. So I'll be in a funny mood with it I think. I'll still enjoy it tho. 

That's a lot of presumptions ??

I did like the idea of Claire A and Leon B (if memory serves. It might have been reversed?) as canon to the game IE A completely different game based on which side of the truck you ended up on. So I remain cautious if they will differentiate between the two characters that much through purely separate campaigns from the outset. Or whether it will be limited to a couple of varied set pieces and variation to the side characters IE Ada for Sherry etc

That said, if REmake: Nemesis is announced as a follow on/DLC to this game, I think I'll be buying a PS4.. and a TV to play it on!

Holy shitballs! I didn't realise this was out in like, less than a month ?

I had it pegged as a February game for some reason. 

Hmm. I need to get a move on if I'm to finish Smash, Spidey and Dead Cells before then.

Anyone know a slow time spell? Or a Witch that can freeze time a bit for me ?

11 minutes ago, regemond said:

Literally haven't seen a single video of this (until a clip just now), or ever seen the full original game - who's the dude in the hat and trenchcoat?

DflKAVAX0AEUHX8.jpg

^This guy? That is Mr. X, the RE 2 equivalent of Tyrant. A prototype Nemesis.