passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter V

AndyKurosaki

I’ve barely watched any but the last SFV video I watched was YTbers trying to do El Furte combos and they were either saying it’s not useable or why do it this way when there’s easier. 

If the combo challenges are generally good than fair enough, but unless you learn how to actually play against another person you’ll never get to do them anyway. 

I mean have fun with the game however you want, but I think practicing combos alone isn’t going to get you very far if what you’re doing is training for online. Just go online and train that way.

I think generally, and again speaking as a neophyte and knowing very little about SF except when I played Sf2 and 4 back in the day, but maf is right about putting the cart before the horse. What I think is you want to have one or two very easy to execute bnb combos you can use for certain situations. Using SF lingo, like I dunno, a conversion from a medium kick or whatever. Maybe another combo comes out of a jump in or something maybe. That stuff is good to have but beyond a few baby combos there isn't much needed to start imo. It's probably important actually to limit goals a bit here, tho it is also just a video game and people can do what they want but just saying

The concept that helped me out with testament in strive was the idea of 'mental stack', where it's basically an idea of a bunch of building blocks in your mind that you establish with experience and practice. These building blocks include things like combo knowledge and execution of course which is important but not as important as a bunch of other things. Like spacing, recovery and your advantage in recovery relative to your opponent, or putting your opponent under pressure, or trying to defend when you yourself are under pressure. Or even better, how to deal with an opponent who does the same basic shit over and over and even so keeps winning (the answer is rarely a cool looking combo). Learning all that stuff is really hard and it starts right from the beginning and is way harder to get good at than combos while also being way more important. The combo building block goes on top of all that stuff, and falls apart without it cause of how much more important that other stuff is. But when the mental stack is solid, you can pull the right knowledge out quick enough to deal with it, then setup the combo opportunities later on as well

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Or even better, how to deal with an opponent who does the same basic shit over and over and even so keeps winning

😎

I’ve got so far on cS>6H and jH lol

@bellow spar with me on SFV. I’ve literally never played the game so I can learn with you 

Naturally I don't believe you, but I will spar with you in a week or 2.

I don't think you guys understand the level I'm coming from here, or lack of level. But I have another problem. I have to source and lay (neatly, so the Mrs doesn't know I've done it) a very long internet cable thru several rooms to get to my gaming space. I'm just too far away from the hub to go wireless, even with a booster. This will be my final commitment to a full adventure with streetfighter 6.

When I get a minute to perform this operation I'll probably be at least competent enough to lose artfully.

God, I miss lockdown😞

5 hours ago, bellow said:

I don't think you guys understand the level I'm coming from here, or lack of level

I am speaking to that tho, basically you don't need that many combos to get stuck in and learn the fundamentals is what I mean. It's like learning to run before walking. But yea the wireless situation sounds like a good enough reason to not go on just yet.

11 hours ago, bellow said:

I don't know if you're a follower of the game but you'd be surprised just how many useable combos (or combos you'll see the pros use in matches) they've put into challenge mode.

The trials are so-so, but Cammy has such a limited toolset that her very basic combos are simultaneously also her most damaging ones. It's one of the criticisms leveled at the game in its early stages that they managed to bypass with later character additions.

You have to be careful with the trials though because not all of the older challenges still apply to the current build. I don't think Cammy or Ken are affected but Juri or G had entire motions changed for example.

But like our two resident SF experts here already said, just focus on two or three routines for specific scenarios and try to pull those off consistently before even thinking about doing something more. Like using button A in neutral, using combo B when they whiff a DP or when you land a jump-in and using button C when they jump at you.

38 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

But like our two resident SF experts here already said

Ayy taken along time to be recognised but finally getting my respect

The other important thing @bellowis when you go online and get cooked be sure to record it and upload it to the forum. It’s just so we can analyse it and help you improve it won’t be too laugh or make fun at all 👀

55 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

You have to be careful with the trials though because not all of the older challenges still apply to the current build.

I have the champion edition, which is pretty new, I think.

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

The other important thing @bellowis when you go online and get cooked be sure to record it and upload it to the forum. It’s just so we can analyse it and help you improve it won’t be too laugh or make fun at all 👀

You do realise that now my only goal in life is to digitally destroy you until the very pixels of your being can never be reconstructed. You may need to put your affairs in order.

Which SFV character has good stagger pressure? I’m going to break him until he’s scared to press anything, mind about these 19 hit luxury combos he thinks he’s going to land 

1 hour ago, bellow said:

I have the champion edition, which is pretty new, I think.

You always automatically have the latest version of the game if you're online. What I meant is that some of the older trials (vol. 1-5 I think) never got an update and might, depending on the character, either use obsolete motions or ask your to perform combos that don't work anymore.

But as I said, I think for Cammy and Ken it should be fine, they didn't change too much over the span of the game's life.

I’ve remembered where my fear of fighting games comes from and it’s Street Fighter. Even basic 3 hit combos takes such timing and execution. It’s different from GG where that game moves much faster but the windows to connect moves is larger, where as here the moves are slower but to go 1, 2, 3 you need to be fucking on it. As soon as that red hit effect starts you need to be hitting the next button. 

The timing is really lenient compared to older SF games. You just have to rhythmically press the buttons instead of "dialing" them, but other than that it's not that execution-heavy anymore.

@bellow I'm not going to watch a 6 hour youtube video, but he starts off the same way I always recommend, by focusing on three things for three different situations that come up regularly doing a match. That way you don't overload your mind with multiple options and can focus on learning specific punishes while also familiarising yourself with the overall feel of the game. IMO it's the best way to start off.

I dunno. I was trying to do some Chun-Li B&B’s for an hour last night. A couple of them were easy enough but one of her main combos seems to be crLP, stMP, crMK + bird kick and it’s like damn, man. I got it so few times 

Then after it was basically oh add things on around it like jumping specials and stuff and it’s like yeah no. Maybe leg lady isn’t for me.

I didn’t look anything up but I messed with Juri a little bit too. I quite like her. She has a left/right 50/50 Vskill thing going on which speaks to me a lot. I like characters that have real muthafucker shit like that 

Chun-Li's BnBs are admittedly some of the more difficult ones, but if you can't pull of the SBK combo you can just end it with heavy Lightning Legs. You lose some damage and the positioning afterwards isn't as favourable, but it's significantly easier to do.

If you like 50:50 nonsense you're better off with the likes of Laura, Mika, Ibuki or G. Juri's not really that kind of character and her V-Skill is extremely unsafe on block.

4 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

I always recommend, by focusing on three things for three different situations that come up regularly doing a match. That way you don't overload your mind with multiple options

That's true - although my mind gets overloaded trying to do a dragon punch at the moment.

Buy a hitbox controller bellow, a sound investment opportunity awaits.

DP motion is an easy rhythmic drumming of the fingers (on left side of the screen, index finger, middle finger, then slap down index and middle). It's the path to enlightenment and my comissio... just enlightenment