passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter V

AndyKurosaki

here is me going al e-sorts on someone in the first round!

To be honest, it's weird bragging about it. It's not a hard combo, but it is damaging one, and I never saw any of the pros do it at the tournaments I watched so I guess I'm the coolest at using Nash (Charlie).

And here is me dossing with Alex, fighting a pretty awesome Laura user but I stole a round... then they got real salty and perfected me in the third as punishment. Despite that I enjoyed this match a lot.

Just got to silver rank yesterday.  I've been trying to be more aggressive lately, using Nash's moonsault a lot more and incorporating cross-ups more and it's working out.  Just being less afraid of putting on pressure.

I'm still using Alex a little in casuals.  I don't think he's gonna click with me the more I think about his tools.  You have to play quite patient and smart with him.  He does do a lot of damage when you're in but I struggle to see the opportunities.  He's like Zangief in a way but where he is like a moving wall slowly and patiently making his way to his opponent, Alex is more like a cobra, just staying away and waiting for the opportunity to strike.

I think its Guile being added this month.  Unless they change him quite dramatically I don't think I'll pick him up.  Never really found him that fun to play.

Guile is officially coming, probably right at the end of the month if Alex was anything to go by.  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-18-guile-is-the-next-street-fighter-5-dlc-character

Guile is the next DLC character for Street Fighter 5, Capcom has announced.

He'll be available for free later this month to all players, and he'll stay free until the Zenny shop launches and he gets his own set of Trials and Character Story. His Battle Costume is free to all Season Pass holders.

It sounds like this version of Guile has some cool new tools at his disposal. Capcom said in Street Fighter 5, Guile has a crouch walk state called Faultless Move that lets him keep his charge while moving forward. Interesting!

"Guile is a great choice for those of you who are looking for a charge character who can easily control the pace of the match," Capcom said.

Guile's V-Skill is Sonic Blade. This acts as a stationary projectile that can also juice up his Sonic Booms.

His V-Trigger is Solid Puncher. This lets him toss out continuous Sonic Booms. Each button throws a Sonic Boom at a different speed.

And his Critical Art is Sonic Hurricane, a multi-hit Sonic Boom.

Alongside the release of Guile is Street Fighter 5's first DLC stage, Air Force Base. This is the classic stage Guile has called home in most of the Street Fighter games. It costs 70,000 Fight Money from the Shop. Season Pass holders get it free.

So while Guile I'll leave I am having that stage.  Fucking nostalgia costing me Fight Money.  I can't say no to that F-15.

Saw this on Destructoid it was a really good video. I have no idea what I'm looking it but it looks like a pretty high quality fight (lots of blocking anyway). The person playing as Cammy is very aggressive!

Yeah, Maximilian is good.  I follow him on Twitch.  The good thing about him is he doesn't compete so if he stumbles across some fancy tech he's fine sharing it where as those that do compete usually like to keep a thing or two hidden for big tournaments.  He can be a bit overly YouTuberish at times but he backs it up with legitimately interesting systems observations.

Some of my Nash playstyle is picked up from him (well,Moonsaulting to put on pressure even up close is one big takeaway).

• 3 weeks later...

So I went back to this tonight.  I started that thread about fighting games but haven't updated, and that is because I fell down a Pokemon and Picross hole right after I started it, but tonight reminded me why I love this shit.  I had a few beers and dived in with total Dutch Courage.

I'll apoligise for the shit editing but you can't do shit with the PS4.  Sorry about the loading times.  But this is me fighting someone very high ranked and doing okay.  Evo level shit here.

It also annoy me a lot this match.  I should of had a round but dropped combos I never would have normally.  I should have connected with that super in the last round...

And then there was this one.  The guy was not nearly as high ranked, but still gold, still knew their shit.  But what happened will surprise you.

Man, the PS4 needs some better editing tools.  I'm sure it wouldn't take much.

Yeah, I know about that.  Some aren't happy, yet some say since some of the lag is native it levels the playing field and those with super online connections don't get an advantage. 

It does mean a more sluggish game to those that play locally at a high level but that's just the pace SFV goes at.  Guilty Gear or KoF will be more up their street. 

And Nash has nothing that is hard to avoid.  All his moves have the slowest wind up in the game.  If they are talking about teleport from neutral then they are talking nonsense as there is a very easy get out.  I know it, I've fought against people that now it and in that fight I just put up the guy had a different counter for it. 

Oh right.  Yeah, all throws are the same but Nash does have a really good dash so doing that into a throw is cheeky.  But it's hardly the most damaging thing. 

High level players will always be moaning about stuff.  They'll tweak it in an update then they'll find something else.  Not saying it's not valid, it's just the way.  They won't stop playing. 

• 3 weeks later...

As predicted Ibuki is next.  There is only one more day if they want to hit the character a month schedule but I can't see it being far away, regardless.

She looks good.  I like the redesign, I think it represents her better than the traditional one.  She seems like she's gonna be about those resets which is something I don't really do but I'll try her, as usual.  Getting a better grasp of resets will help me level up with other characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I only seem to want to jump on when there's a new character, can't believe we didn't even get Ibuki last month after what they promised.

I'm hoping story mode will keep me going for a while.

Still waiting on Juri.

• 2 weeks later...

So story mode is up, as is the shop so now you have to buy the post release characters with real or fake earned money.  A big shame is there is no trial period for Balrog and Ibuki and you can't even use them in training mode or anything without commiting to them.  I did get Alex, but I only have enough Fight Money for two more and I think I want to keep that for Juri and Urian.  If I get a decent amount off finishing the story mode then I'll get Balrog as I did enjoy being an idiot with him In SFIV.

As for the story mode itself? it's just a Saturday Morning Cartoon, or at least a feature lentgh version of one.  The fights themselves are the same as in the character stories that came with release.  They're not quite as easy as those but they aren't far off.

I did get to the bit where I could use Juri but the fights are so easy and short I didn't get a chance to experiment much.  I could tell she is different from her SFIVand SFxT versions.  I don't think she has the divekick anymore and she doesn't have projectiles.  She has a move that works in a similar way but they are direct hits. She seems to be a lot about mind games and surprise attacks.  To add to that she has a V-Skill that works like Cammy's but is more about getting behind people.

I also got to Urian but just as it started the servers broke and it kicked me out of the story.  Couldn't believe it.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Nope, no EXP for beating the story mode, just a relatively meagre amount of Fight Money.

I dunno if I'd recommend the story mode that much.  The story itself is some low concept anime that only flies if you like these characters and the fights just aren't that interesting.  They do get harder as I did feel I had to sit up and play properly on the late game Bison fights but the one round format just makes them not contain any drama.  And they are very basic fights with the only differences being sometimes you start with metre.

Th animation in the cutscenes is good and they are well shot.  But sometimes the hair physics can go crazy and mess things up.  I also think the loading between scene transition is just unexcepatable as it really ruins the flow.

It was exciting getting a taster for Juri and Urian; that was easliy the best bit of the content, and I will admit there is a sort of post credits stinger which had me excited for what we could be instore for with year two.

I took this back online today.  The new content has brought more people in around my level.  Last time I played properly I was just getting matched up with those that mean serious business, which is fine, I like testing my mettle, but it's just it kept me in the safety of my main.

Since there are a lot of others that are normal and people trying out their Ibukis and Balrogs at the moment I'm gonna work on my Alex more.  I had fun with him today.  I still have a long way to go but I'm getting somewhere.  I feel like more than any other he is good for fishing out counter hits (I mean his V-skill causes them without the opponent having to press a button) and finding ways to capitalise on  them is a way to do serious damage with him.  I need to work on the muscle memory, though.  The combos aren't that hard so it shouldn't take too long.

I beat some Ibukis.  She's a bit of a glass cannon so I just need some good moments.  But I struggle with Balrog.  He is a monster and first impressions are he might be a bad match-up for Alex.  Alex needs to be in control when you're face to face but Balrog owns in that situation and he's difficult to keep away.

I'll stick to it while it has this player base, anyway.

I'm still probably gonna stay away from ranked matches.  It's still full of chancers who get a win over you using cheeky stuff then fucking off and not sticking around for a two out of three because they know it wouldn't work a second time.  I'm not taking that mode seriously until it's mandatory two out of three.

• 3 months later...

I think its time for an SFV update.

Urien is now available!

He's really cool, but very hard to use.  In fact I'd say he's a lot like F.A.N.G; he takes a lot of understanding of the game and great execution to get anywhere with him.  But you also have to be good at mix ups, so like F.A.N.G and Ibuki mixed into one character.

He's weird and hard to use.

I've been playing this quite a bit recentlt.  They finally added the daily challenges, which aren't daily... they last 3 to 5 days and don't offer much of a challenge or much Fight Money.  So I guess the economy is still bullshit.

But I've been enjoying getting back into it.  I think Alex now might be my main due to the fact that when I played it briefly I always used that time to learn Alex; so now when I go back to Nash I keep pressing all the wrong buttons.  Also, Alex isn't a common choice so sometimes I can beat people much better than me not knowing the match-up.  I have no shame, I will roll with that.

I still really like using Alex.  Even when shit feels like it's over I think he has the most tools to turn shit around.  Definitely more than the others.  I love getting a grip on that opportunity and I know there are more of them in his arsenal so I think I will stick with him.

I also think all the DLC characters will get buffed when season 2 starts and I want to be on the ground floor with Alex.  He's my man.

Oh, here's me duffing up Urien (he's not that great, in fact I fought a Urien before this dude and he beat me by sitting in the corner and shooting fireballs and this guy never used them) But I ended it in a cool way so it got recorded and I need validated so here we go:

• 1 month later...

Looks like Akuma is showing up in SFV:

Just a teaser for now.  he isn't announced with a batch so I'm wondering if he is a one off; maybe a Christmas gift.  I'm okay with Akuma being added and it will be cool if they manage to make him as different as Ryu and Ken are in SFV.  Will have to work on that Raging Demon input again.